Hikers Dream Car

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
Just want to know what you guys think would be the most suitable car for hikers (price aside - I have secret plans to win a lottery :D ) ?

If you're like me, you've been "frustrated" at least once because of a higher bump which was impassable and made you stop. Then, after parking your car there, you discovered many more miles of a nice road suitable for any car... Frustrated in this way: "Awww that sucks ! if it hadn't been of this bump…", not the point of crying like a baby because I have 2 more miles to hike, it's part of the fun, obviously (I see the purists coming, let me state I always loved offtrail vehicules). So I'm not talking about cargo or anything like that, just how to make the maximum distance on those obscured roads…

I think the best would be a narrow/small car with the highest clearance as possible. I would prefer a 4WD Jeep Rubicon vs a Hummer or any 4WD truck.

What do you think ?

Motabobo said:
I think the best would be a narrow/small car with the highest clearance as possible. I would prefer a 4WD Jeep Rubicon vs a Hummer or any 4WD truck.

What do you think ?

I'll second the Rubicon... it's Jeep's most capable off road vehicle! Now, if it would only get around 35 MPG! it would be *perfect*.

Motabobo said:
I think the best would be a narrow/small car with the highest clearance as possible.What do you think ?

FWIW:
On the road, those types of vehicles are usually the first to roll over and tend to have very poor handling characteristics. The Suzuki Samurai was a good example. Not the kind of vehicle you want to be doing 65 mph in when a moose walks out in front of you.

I'll bet this thread gets locked before you can shift into 4 low. :rolleyes:

One that drives me to the trailheads while I sleep.

I have a Subaru Outback Wagon. I have bounced it, jumped it, bottomed it out, beat it to death, and it still seems to like me. It is a bit tight for sleeping if you are over 5'9", but workable. Next vehicle is a 4WD pickup with a cap.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
On the road, those types of vehicles are usually the first to roll over and tend to have very poor handling characteristics.
Let me rephrase; smaller than a big truck or skidder :D
SherpaKroto said:
One that drives me to the trailheads while I sleep.
I can fit in my Matrix and I'm 6'2". It's economic too but I don't have 4WD but even if, the clearance is not high enough to my liking.

Something that can easily fit two hikers, their gear, and two dogs, has AWD for the winter or mud, is a comfortable ride for those many hours on the highway, isn't a theft or vandalism target at the trailhead, and gets over 40mpg.

Sigh.

I'm willing to live with the idea that if my car can't make the road, I don't go there. Lots of other places I can go. I'd rather have an inexpensive feul efficient car for most of the time, than the alternative for a few occations.

If I REALLY want to go someplace that my car can't make it to, I'll walk or bring along my mountain bike.

This is the reason I don't buy lottery tickets. I'm afraid that if I'd win, I'll get a car that doesn't fit my lifestyle.

It's not always just about the car, you've gotta know how to negotiate those bumps and mud holes.
My first two cars were little Hondas and I took them everywhere. You just have to go a little slower.

onestep said:
MAN... look at the ground clearance!!
HAHA you beat me to it. Nice one giggy :D
Pete_Hickey said:
This is the reason I don't buy lottery tickets.
Who said anything about buying tickets ? I have secret plans of my own :D

MichaelJ said:
Something that can easily fit two hikers, their gear, and two dogs, has AWD for the winter or mud, is a comfortable ride for those many hours on the highway, isn't a theft or vandalism target at the trailhead, and gets over 40mpg.

Sigh.

Yup. I'm likin' the Ford Hybrid Escape. Besides, Kermit the Frog has put his Earth Freindly slimy little green stamp of approval on it, and that works for me, too.

Now I just need to come up with the $28k and its mine.....all mine!!!

(for now, I will make do with my Subaru Outback and its meager 25mpg) :eek:

For me, the real issue is dogs. I have two, and I take them to hike nearly everyday somewhere in the local Greens. I toyed recently with the idea of trading my Suby in on a little Honda Civic (a car I really like) but to have two hairy dogs in the backseat, chewing on seatbelts, slobbering up the windows -- that just doesn't work for me!

Last edited:
An Australian Subaru Outback 2.5XT turbo with bash guards.

The non-US version Outbacks get a transfer case with a Low-range gearing!

Jay

una_dogger said:
I'm likin' the Ford Hybrid Escape. Besides, Kermit the Frog has put his Earth Freindly slimy little green stamp of approval on it, and that works for me, too.

I just got to drive my neice's a few weeks ago and really liked it.

Mark S said:
Very happy with my 2005 X-Terra. High clearance, 4WD, can sleep in back (diagonally). What more can you really ask for?

Yeah, that's my ride too .... and agree it's great .... have taken it places where many other SUVs would never have made it. Gas mileage is pretty good considering (high teens city, low-to-mid twentys highway), but it would be awesome if they offered a hybrid version with an mpg similar to the Escape.

My wife drives a Subaru Forester, and we both like it a lot too. Handles well in snow, but sometimes ya just need 4WD.

A friend at work has a Toyota Prius. I am jealous of the gas mileage, but am just too spoiled after having 4WD for the past 20 years.

I'm loving my 2007 HOnda CRV 4WD. Totally redone for the 07 line. Mine is still breaking in (it's only 2 months old) and so far I'm getting 28 mpg overall. Better on the highway. The mechanic says it should go 31 even with the 4 WD. The clearance is much higher than my '92 Accord wagon but it's just a palace compared to a 15 year old car! All the seats can be laid flat for different sleeping arrangements. Do you think many people shop for cars pulling it apart and using the criteria of how comfortable it is to sleep in or put a canoe or bikes on? WhenI picked it up, I didn't even remember what the front looked like because I chose it purely for function. Then I had to ask what all the buttons were for.

Strictly speaking of ground clearance (min-max in inches, CAN funds);

Xterra: (9.1-9.5) ~ 35K
Jeep: (8.8-9.1) ~ 20k
Jeep Rubicon (10.1-10.5) ~ 30k
Subaru Outback (?) ~ 31k
Subaru Forester (8.1-?) ~ 27k
Toyota FJ Cruiser (?-9.4) ~ 30k
Toyota 4Runner (9.1-?) ~ 40k
Ford Escape (8.0-?) ~ 30k
Honda CR-V (7.3-?) ~ 34K

Rubicon clearly stands out but only with a mere 1" more :eek:
XTerra or FJ Cruiser would be next.