Your Top 7 (photos) of 2007!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
One of my favorite threads on this site last year started up around this time, and I figured on this snowy evening in front of my computer, I'd get the ball rolling again.

One of my favorite things to do on this site is to read trip reports and view the pictures that people take of the sights that speak to them on the trails. And there are some gems on here. Everyone who takes a camera on the trails with them inevitably comes back with special shots that makes others stop and take in the view right with the photographer. Photos on this site have conjured up a multitude of emotional responses, memories and inspirations.

As we are now a week before the holidays, when I turn off the computer and put away the hiking boots for a bit to be with family and friends for a time, I would invite everyone to post their 7 favorite photos of 2007, and perhaps some background as to where, when and why!?

Here's a thread to the memories of 2007 and a beautiful 2008!

(note: To save the servers, please post links, or embed images hosten on other sites!)

(I've got some searching to do...I'll post mine later)

Last edited:
I always like threads like this and seeing everybody's pictures.

This is my best stab at my seven favorite of 2007 (outdoors pictures anyway):

Image08.jpg

Image05.jpg

Image04.jpg

Image09.jpg

Image06.jpg

maine11.jpg

maine4.jpg

ETA: I'm not sure why the first ones are so pixelated -- excuse the crappy quality.

Here are my two favorites from '07...

Avery Peak in January
260693.JPG

View from Goose Eye Mountain
303526.JPG

Cool thread. Lots of excellent pictures so far.

Wow, great stuff so far. I love the shot of Portland Head, and simply must get to Patagonia some day! Incredible work! Chip...is that a mountain bluebird?

Tough decisions have been made...these are the photos that mean the most to me from the year.

It was a great year for my camera, but my recent career endevours have really taken a bite into my photography time. It has been a mixed blessing, as I have adjusted by becoming more dedicated to taking advantage of the time I do have to hike and shoot.

I miss living in the mountains terribly, but love having my memories on my computer whenever I need. Still only a two hour drive...

Here are my Top 7 of '07 in reverse order by date taken:

The Colors of November
Roadside at Bretton Woods
1969624940_1012ab52ae.jpg

Endless Color
Sunset from Middle Sugarloaf mountain
1806059492_3b9af8669e.jpg

Autumn's First Light
Sunrise from Mount Pierce on the first day of autumn
1429532106_f45eb7b8aa.jpg

Susans at Sunrise
Wildflowers on the slopes of Wildcat Mountain line my way down after a night at the top!
1193340969_5034bdc875.jpg

Lupine Light
A lupine field in Sugar Hill catches the morning's first rays
1343603981_37c527c5e9.jpg

Woven Hepatica
Three Round Lobed Hepatica shine against an awakening forest floor
1193817647_bce90db949.jpg

Lake of the Clouds
A long exposure shot at dusk on my favorite evening of the year
1313130401_e00f43a351.jpg

Last edited:
Tough call, here are five of mine (click to enlarge):

Carrigain from East Osceola

Osceola ridgeline

Equisetum on Caribou Pond Rd

Purple Trillium on Caribou Pond Rd

Indian Pipe in the Fells

Last edited:
This is my favorite from the past year. I was taking a walk in the woods with my daughter and VERY pregnant wife who was past her due date and trying to get contractions started. We were only a few hundred yards from the car ;)

Not a majestic peak or even spectacular photography, but my favorite "hiking" photo from 2007.

3180smds9.jpg

I love this thread!

My favorite hikes were those during my recovery from some nasty surgery I had in June. The pictures aren't spectacular, but for me they bring back memories of wonderful familly support and "small victories."

The first is Zealand Falls, was I slow! I really wanted to participate in FOT48, although I couldn't commit to a 4,000 footer. So the second is Cannon, an accessible peak, where we took charge of the flag. Finally, a solo hike up Welch-Dickey, just to see how I could do.

Here's wishing all of you a healthy new year full of great adventures!

http://picasaweb.google.com/gram123456/2007FavoriteHikes

7 shots from 2007...can we post 8 in 2008?

I'm a little lacking in outdoors shots since I spent most of 2007 on crutches and in rehab. But here goes...

Some of my favorite shots from 2007 are bird shots taken from my living room while I was in a full leg cast. I still remember hopping outside and trying to stand up with just one crutch and pound in the bird feeder pipe with a sledge hammer. Lucky I didn't fall and break my other leg.

White throated sparrow:
0554-white-throated-sparrow-800.jpg

This shot really stands out for me because it took me a long time to get a shot of nuthatch in it's natural position of going down a tree (sounds easy, but again, I was shooting from a home made blind out my living room window while I was sitting sideways because of the cast):

0988-nuthatch-v-700.jpg

(Carmel - thank you for filling the bird feeders everyday so I would have something to do.)

Byodo-In Temple, which is just plain cool - not a single nail was used in it's construction:

1378-byodo-in-800.jpg

My friend Keoni bodysurfing at Sandy Beach:

1714-800.jpg

My friend Marcus and his two labs, Hone and Pono (the dog in "Lost"), surfing at Waikiki:

2400-surfing-800.jpg

Carmel and I camped on Polihale Beach on Kauai in September. Due to my injuries, it was the first time I had camped in a long time. It was just awesome. The view out of the tent door in the morning:
3096-tent.jpg

This shot is just a classic Hawaii shot for me. The funky lifeguard stands, sunset, cooking out on the beach, cracking a cold one, the lush greens, the empty beach...it was a handheld shot with no filters and not my best work, but for some reason the shot sums up a lot for me.

9437-lgstand-800.jpg

That is 7 pix, but this is my site so I get to break the rules and post one more shot - of course it is one of Carmel. ;)

3013-800.jpg

Aloha

- darren

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
Nutsosa said:
This is my favorite from the past year. ...

Not a majestic peak or even spectacular photography, but my favorite "hiking" photo from 2007.

3180smds9.jpg

I enjoy all the spectacular scenery, but the photo that most appeals to me so far is this one. To me, it has a more compelling story to tell than even the grandest of vistas.

G.

Nice thread! Lots of enjoyable images.

Here's a few images that captured memories of special moments hiking in the WMNF, but not neccessarily the "best" pictures I took...

mama moose and yearling calf who just made it through her first winter. This was a mild day in March with flurries in the air...
4-08-07-051a.jpg

I followed this bull around the Hobbs Brook area in late April. He laid down for a rest and didn't mind me being near him while laying down...
4-27-07-027fg.jpg

In May, this bull was hanging in a little bog at sunset. He stayed there as the sky turned beautiful colors.
5-24-07-062.jpg

I call this bull "Big Daddy". I've seen him many times over the past four years. This is him in June...
6-02-07-004.jpg

This was the first moose that I noticed showing old age, the white fur on his face...
6-03-07-057.jpg

Diapensia on Mt. Franklin...
6-16-07-119.jpg

I'll never forget this one...
6-21-07-034.jpg

continued...

a misty summer morning on Edmund's Path...
6-02-07-065.jpg

huge bull moose with velvety antlers in the Pemi...
7-22-07-126.v.jpg

magic little place high in Huntington Ravine...
8-05-07-016q.jpg

bluebells in Alpine Garden...
7-29-07-158a.jpg

big cow moose in the Pemi in autumn...
9-22-07-021aa.jpg

Jefferson Brook...
9-02-07-017a.jpg

big female coyote in Gulf of Slides
9-29-07-024-vftt.jpg

view from Wildcat Ridge Trail...
mtwashington100907d.jpg

well, it's hard to pick...