Southern Ossipees (NH) Traverse, 11/15/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
UPDATE - THIS HIKE HAS BEEN MOVED FROM SATURDAY TO SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 16TH DUE TO FORECASTED RAIN

As discussed in the Ossipee Social Group, we're thinking about putting together a group hike for the southern Ossipee Mountains.

Tentative Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 8:00 AM

Location: Meet at McDuffee Road for car spots, then head to Terrace Pines to start hike.

Itinerary: Sentinel Mountain, Merrowvista Ledges, Flagg Mountain, Mt. Shaw, Black Snoot, Big Ball Mountain. Total distance likely just over 10 miles, total vertical likely over 3,000 feet. Trails range from steep woods trails to bouldery stretches to gradual carriage roads. No significant water crossings to worry about.

A possible third car spot could be set up for folks looking to do something even longer.

Last edited:
Cool! By my count, we have 6 people interested so far.

Count me as interested. I am hiking Turtleback and Bald Knob on Friday. I might also be interested in the longer hike. I've done Shaw, Black Snoot, and Big Ball before so I wouldn't mind continuing on towards Faraway and Roberts aftrer Shaw.

How much longer?? :D

One could very easily put together a hike that would rival a Bonds hike in distance and vertical. Even simply continuing from Shaw to Roberts would add quite a few more miles to the hike...of course the ultimate would be to hike the entire volcanic rim, which would likely be a multi-day hike with tons of bushwhacking.

I plan on spending some time with Trail Bandits map and measuring out some longer routes. Details to follow.

It should also be noted that, if someone isn't sure if they can do the described loop, there are multiple places to bail out (Merrowvista Ledges, Mt. Flagg, Thunderbird) and have a reasonable road walk back.

I don't know my schedule, but this is a hike I've been meaning to explore. I'd love to go with some with experience and knowledge of this range! I may be in...

I can't make the 15th, but I am really interested in longer trips in the area.How many miles to hike the rim?

I can't make the 15th, but I am really interested in longer trips in the area.How many miles to hike the rim?

The High Ridge Trail is about 5 1/2 miles (from Shaw to Roberts) involving several switchbacks because it is an old carriage road. Which trails you use to ascend and descend would vary the length. There's plenty to choose from.

Are you penciling in 'maybes'?

It's still a few weeks out, so I haven't compiled any sort of list...just putting it out there so that folks who are interested can have some advance notice.

FYI a longer route continuing to Roberts from Shaw (thus skipping Black Snoot and Big Ball) and exiting by Shannon Brook Trail comes out to approximately 15.3 miles and 2830' of elevation gain, which is a book time of 9:05. This does not include summits of Canaan or Faraway which involve small bushwhacks. This would require a third car spot. I am game if anyone else is and depending on weather conditions that day.

FYI a longer route continuing to Roberts from Shaw (thus skipping Black Snoot and Big Ball) and exiting by Shannon Brook Trail comes out to approximately 15.3 miles and 2830' of elevation gain, which is a book time of 9:05. This does not include summits of Canaan or Faraway which involve small bushwhacks.

You could shorten that by over a mile, while leaving vertical about the same and omitting no peaks, by parking at the LRCT hikers' lot (room for 6-8 cars) at the bottling plant (end of Ossipee Park Road), which is at the start of the Roberts Trail, a little north of the Castle.

I disagree that the summit of Faraway requires a bushwhack, but let's not go down that road. :) It does require a detour of a little over a mile (RT) that wouldn't be worth it except for "O-10 completists" (if there are any more), since there are better views nearby on the main route (High Ridge Trail), at the Faraway Mtn. Lookout. Canaan isn't even on the O-10, as I recall, and it doesn't have much for views either.

Could be up for this will let you all know as the date gets closer.

I plan on spending some time with Trail Bandits map and measuring out some longer routes. Details to follow.

Hi Andy,
If you need the length of any trail, I can measure it on mapping program. It is a great project for a cold rainy day as I can sit by the fire inside and measure away. I plan to provide this information when I get around to printing the map.