Trek to THE PEAK Above the Peak Above the Nubble: (North Twin; 03-Feb-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
In a manner of speaking, I suppose North Twin is the ultimate PEAK above the “Peak Above the Nubble”!

Before getting into the nitty-gritty of the Trip Report, Steve & I want to thank the trail-breakers over the past few days who have done such a fantastic job of breaking out the trail to North Twin. All the way from 7 Dwarfs to the North Twin summit, the snowshoe track was in perfect condition.

So anyway, my hiking partner Steve & I did an “out & back” trek to North Twin on 03-Feb-2009. We were uncertain if we were going to get any views since the weather forecast and the sky above were all a bit “iffy”. But, we decided to go for it, and hope for the best.

After leaving the 7 Dwarfs, we walked a short segment of the snowmobile trail to hook-up with the trail that runs along the old railroad bed, which we followed to the North Twin trailhead. We then proceeded up the North Twin Trail. There were no tracks leading across the Little River at the 1st crossing. So, we opted to skip the first 2 crossings by taking the bootleg trail along the east bank of the Little River and proceeding directly to the 3rd crossing point. (It’s sort of like the Monopoly game of passing “GO” and collecting $200, except we didn’t collect $200!).

The trek up to the summit was overall uneventful. The 3rd crossing of the Little River was a solid ice-bridge. So, no problems there! Near the summit, there was some minor drifting that partially obscured the broken trail, but not enough so that the trail couldn’t be followed. The entire summit area was a winter wonderland.

Below is a photo taken just shortly before breaking out above tree-line.
100_0871.JPG

As we approached the first viewpoints, we were delighted to find that we had VIEWS . . . and in all directions!:) Plus, as an added bonus, there was very little wind. However, my thermometer did read 9 degrees. So, if it had been windy it would have been uncomfortable. And, we certainly would not have been able to enjoy the leisurely 40 minutes that we spent on the summit area eating lunch and snapping pictures.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the summit views, including my backpack!:rolleyes:

As seen in the photo below, my pack is lounging on a rock admiring the fine view toward Owl’s Head, Garfield, and the Franconia Range.
100_0887.JPG

Although the summit of Carrigain was somewhat shrouded by a passing snow shower in the photo below, the Carrigain Notch area was (as always) a stunning and awesome sight!
100_0892.JPG

And, it’s always a nice view gazing toward the Willey Range and over the lip of the Zealand Notch.
100_0882.JPG

And then, here’s the obligatory photo of the Presidential Range as viewed from North Twin.
Presidentials.JPG

I won’t bore you any longer with a continuing parade of other photos such as the view toward South Twin, or the northward views toward Pilot & Pliny ranges. You’ve seen them all before in other reports. So, I’ll stop with just one composite shot below which shows a few other miscellaneous shots taken along the way.
Composite.jpg

BOTTOM-LINE TO ALL THIS: What a terrific day in the Whites with awesome summit views! And, the day was made even more enjoyable thanks to the perfect snowshoe track laid by all those trail-breakers who preceded us over the past few days.

1HappyHiker

P.S. Cath, we thought you might surprise us by popping out on the summit after having whacked your way up the old trail that used to lead to North Twin from the Gale River Trail. :D:D

Last edited:
Very nice. The second picture seems to suggest there may have been some low cloud activity west of Franconia Ridge. Lucky for you guys to have the conditions you enjoyed.

Does the second picture also have Galehead included? Good shot!

Does the second picture also have Galehead included? Good shot!
Yup, Galehead is in the second shot. The hut is a small white dot on the nearest ridge that’s sort of in the center, left-hand side of the photo.

Last edited:
Nice trip report! I assume we know what will be written up in next week's Mountain Ear hiking column? :)

Such fun
Its always a good hike when the 3rd crossing is frozen hard.
That crossing scares the begeezus out of a lot of us when its dicey.
I have visions of going under the ice and never coming back out .......... then I wake up.
Off to S Twin (again) this Sunday

Great shot of the Willey Range! You get such an appreciation of the size of that range outside of driving through Crawford Notch. A Notch drive impresses the aspect of height at close proximity, but a range shot from a distance magnifies its total mass. In the same spot this past summer and noticed it as well, but it looks just as good in the winter.
Good job!

Nice trip report! I assume we know what will be written up in next week's Mountain Ear hiking column? :)
Sorry Its the Mountain Ear not Mountain Musing. arggh.

Yes I do miss the mountains and the solitude.

I used to work nights for years (Singer/player/songwirter ) so I hiked almost every day and skied every day .
Heck in 1968-69, the winter of the big snow up north I skied 128 days.

Then I landed my dream job, running my own ski area, Loon MT in Lincoln. The Pemi and I were close friends.

I had the best commute in New England from my Log Cabin above Streeter Pond to Loon every day x 2.

26 miles of majesty.

I actually miss that commute.

Now I cant ski anymore but I can go N to S with the best of them.he he

Warm wishes,
John

Amazing visibility for a day that was, up until the last minute, supposed to be engulfed in snow and clouds!

We were looking your way from the side of Chocorua and wondering if you were getting the same great views! Excellent photos!

Another interesting route for you guys

Another interesting route for you guys. Follow the herd path up LR Valley beyond 3rd watercrossing until you reach base of that big slide on NW side of Zealand. Betcha you get some nice views going up that! Probably very short whack to Zealand Summit. Good way to get views from the perrennially belittled Mt Zealand.

You deserve a green square for "Peak above the Peak above the Nubble"! :rolleyes: