Wilderness Trail - Spurious Signage

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The following is a minor rant:)

While hiking out after a day in the Bonds via the Wilderness trail last weekend, we encountered a brand new sign and sign post that must have been installed in the last week just before the franconia brook bridge west of the wilderness boundary. We figured that given the intense effort to rid the woods of nonessential signage in this district that this sign must be of such vital importance to our health and safety that we were risking life and limb to ignore such vital information.:eek: When we took a look at the well carved permanent USFS sign on a cedar post, all we saw was "200" carved in the sign. Hmm, we all said and proceeded to walk down the trail where we encountered another brand new permanent sign with the inscription "How many paces is 200 Feet? Start Here" with a temporary laminated sign underneath explaining the 200 foot rule. Obviously something that desperately needed signage:rolleyes:. The next time I go through I would be interested to see the inevitable sign with detailed instructions on the proper construction of a cathole. ;)

IMHO - Take the long running Owls Head farce, the bridge removal process that seems to lack any support yet continues neverthless, and now the waste of resources installing spurious signage and it calls into question what sort of management direction is in place for the Pemi district? (Note that this is a rhetorical question that does not need to be answered on the forum).

On a serious note, I wonder if this is preparation for an increased enforcement effort on the 200 foot rule in the area? During a prior Bondcliff hike early this summer we encountered a ranger out looking for campers at the intersection of the Bondcliff trail and the wilderness trail.

Note: I had originally stated East of the Wilderness boundary outside of the Wilderness.

Last edited:
When we took a look at the well carved permanent USFS sign on a cedar post, all we saw was "200" carved in the sign. Hmm, we all said and proceeded to walk down the trail where we encountered another brand new permanent sign with the inscription "How many paces is 200 Feet? Start Here" with a temporary laminated sign underneath explaining the 200 foot rule. Obviously something that desperately needed signage:rolleyes:.

Seriously, I think this is a great idea. I think this is a perfect way to help enforce the Wilderness camping rules without being overbearing.

When you take the boater safety course to get a NH boater's license, they always make everyone walk 150 feet from a fixed spot - as that is the no-wake / headway speed safety zone. Most people are WAY SHY of 150', hence the majority of boating tickets are for violation of the 150 foot rule. In many harbors, there is not room for 2 boats to go beyond headway speed and remain 150 feet from each other and both shorelines (that's 450 feet minimum, if you weren't paying attention.)

Like Dave, I think this is a gentle reminder of the 200' rule, and it is far cheaper than a ranger.

Tim

How about a signs on how to: dig a proper cat hole, cook away from your camp site, wear snow shoes, carry a map, compass, whistle etc. I think every major trail intersection should have wilderness safety signs so there won't be so many expensive rescues. :rolleyes:

or keep it at the trail head where people sign in. Duh.

We were with Peakbagger and Pokey when we passed the new signs. Thought some of you may like to see them.

Here is the new sign. The 200' foot sign can be seen in the distance.

Why 200'?

It's about 70 paces for June. Note the graffiti on the new sign already.

Signage in Wilderness is generally limited to what is necessary for protecting Wilderness resources. "Educational" signage is usually placed outside the Wilderness, such as at a boundary or trailhead. Perhaps they could have placed these signs just before the boundary without reducing their effectiveness.

I did Owl's Head on June 24th, and as we were at about the jct. of the Lincoln Woods Trail and Franconia Falls Trail, we heard this cracking sound. At first I thought it was a moose. But, I soon saw the source. A Blazing campfire next to a gypsy camp setup within eyesight of the Lincoln Brook Trail. Sometimes one wishes that a ranger was around.

Wolfgang

Seriously, I think this is a great idea. I think this is a perfect way to help enforce the Wilderness camping rules without being overbearing.

I'm with Dave on this one. I was just one Caps Ridge and there was a family camped next to the trail right next to the lookout rock. Apparently they come there every year!

PB230036_web.JPG

This could help cut back on rescues?

This latest sign reminds me of climbing an easy route (Cat in the hat) out in Red Rocks near Las Vegas. The route was seeming really hard for the guide book grade and I came to a sign scratched in the rock that said "NOT CAT"