New England Trail starts this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
I just figured I'd throw this out there, but the hike I've been planning for way too long is finally going to start on Saturday. In case anyone's interested...

Here's a link to a google spreadsheet with my daily plan, which is mostly the idealized version of what I'm going to do. Of course I don't think I'll stick exactly to plan every day, but there's room for error in there.

And here's a link to the trailjournal I'm keeping, although I won't update it with the actual trip journal until I'm done in November.

Maybe I'll see a few of you out there (whether I'm aware of it or not). I'll see what I can do to compile a monster trip report at the end, too.

Happy trails!
Ryan

If you're following Guthook's trek...

I spoke briefly with Ryan on Saturday to confirm a supply drop for next weekend in Waterville Valley. He said that they were in the midst of updating their plans to account for conditions they'd encountered en route... some weather had encroached, but he said the worst section they'd dealt with was a long road-walk during the Cohos segment, which had really pounded his knees. It sounded like they were having a good trip otherwise. More news when I see him on or about 10/11.

I dropped Ryan and Gary back at the trail Sunday (South Pond in Stark) and they were feeling pretty good. They weren't sorry to be under a roof Saturday with all that rain!
-vegematic

Ryan is making good progress on his NE Trail trek...

I met up with Guthook and Gary this afternoon to hand-off their mail-drops. They had come down from north of the Kancamagus, over East Osceola, Osceola and Tecumseh (and more -- no doubt leaving out elements of an epic day). They were both buzzing from the great views, but also a little chilled from the precipitously dropping temps and stiffening breeze this afternoon. They resupplied and I got them settled down at Livermore trailhead, where they were headed for a quick camp.

Ryan said they'd had a good trip so far -- but in ten 4k footers, had only see VFTT on four so far -- and that included the Osceolas and Tecumseh today. They saw the distance from the top of Isolation as well... otherwise, lots of clouds. I asked him if he had any words to pass along, and he held up a slight pruned foot and said, "Yeah, tell them the Cohos was wet. Really, really wet."

MFurgal64 and I will meet up with them on Weds AM after they tour the Tris and Sandwich range and save them some long road-miles on their way toward Cardigan and points south. Good guys, glad I had a chance to meet them. I came home to my warm house and family to celebrate my 17th anniversary, but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel funny about them out in a tent on what's likely to be the coldest night of the fall so far.

Guthook and Gary are headed out of the Whites today

MFurgal64 and I picked Guthook and his hiking partner Gary up at Drake's Brook in Waterville Valley at 6:30 this AM and gave them a lift to Bristol, NH, on their way to Cardigan Lodge. They had had a couple of good days since I saw them on Sunday -- Monday was over the Tripyramids via Livermore, North Slide, and out over Passaconaway. They said the VFTT were excellent, though they did encounter cold and lots of wind.

They camped down in the valley off Dicey's Mill (I think) on Monday night and made the traverse over Sandwich Dome (Ryan: "A questionable choice in retrospect, with three inches of wet snow most of the way...") yesterday, in time to make an early camp in the Drake's Brook area. They're headed south (following the sun?) toward Sunapee, Monadonock, etc. in the coming days. I with them good speed and dry feet...

I heard from Ryan last night. He and Gary completed their hike yesterday afternoon. He is hoping to get pictures and online journals updated soon.
-vegematic

back!

Ah, the New England Trail. Good times, lots of rain, lots of cold. Gary and I ended our hike yesterday afternoon on the outskirts of New Haven, Connecticut. After walking the length of three states (minus a few hitchhiking segments) we were extremely happy to be off the trail and on our way toward showers and beds and getting back to a "civilized" routine.

Gary's back at his place in CT now, and I'm with friends near Boston for the weekend. Once I get my car from Bethel, I'll get back to my parents' place in Belfast, then start to work on putting pictures and trip reports online (among other things). There are definitely many stories to tell. But for now... time to start adjusting to not being on the move.

Huge thanks to Vegematic and Andy Knight for help with rides and resupplies, not to mention general morale-boosting. I also saw a few other VFTTers in the Whites, so that was cool.

Like I said... trip reports to follow. Happy Halloween!