Sand bagged once again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In my previous life of rock and ice climbing, getting duped into believing that a route is easier than it truly is (getting sand bagged) was common, especially at places like the Gunks in New York (ex. many rock climbing routes in the mid-range at the Shawangunks have been upgraded in the guidebooks over the years as more outsiders have visited and complained). I believe that sand bagging is less common in the hiking community, although perhaps unintentional sand bagging still happens with bushwhack routes.

Near the end of this past September, I finally got around to bushwhacking off the west side of North Twin down to the Gale River Trail, seeming to recall more than one person telling me that it was not too bad once you get a short ways down from the top. Well, it was some of the gnarliest bushwhacking that I have ever done, and never really let up until I reached Gale River. I am all the more impressed that Guy Waterman must have taken this route up and down in the winter. Just as I was scampering up the short slope to access the Gale River Trail, I met a couple with a black mutt heading down whom I had met on top of Galehead on my way up; they had made an out and back trip to North Twin, so I had not saved any time at all, in fact lost time, as I was well ahead of them on the way out to North Twin.

So, nearly two months later, I talked my friend Howard into hiking a 14-mile loop with me up the Twins, over Guyot to Zealand, and then bushwhacking back down to our vehicle at the Haystack Road kiosk, as I have read many accounts that these woods are “pretty open” or words to that effect once you get off the top of Zealand. But, again, we did not find any open woods until we were well below 3000 ft, taking over an hour to drop down that far. Once we got into more open woods, we took a diagonal route down slope to the north, hoping to decrease the amount of bushwhacking mileage along the Little River, which was partially a success, as we left ourselves with only about a mile of thrashing through the alders on the valley bottom. So, my guess is that we could have continued on the Twinway and Lend-a-Hand Trail to Hale and dropped back down via the Fire Warden’s Trail in about the same elapsed time, despite covering four extra miles. And, again, I am really glad that we did not try to hike our route in reverse, as gravity was a savior for me on both of these bushwhacks.

I realize that there are abandoned trails from as recently as the 1950s on both of these slopes, but I cannot imagine trying to find remnants now.

In sum, I will not try to sand bag you into thinking that these two routes are easier than sticking to longer routes on trails, because I do not think that they are.

Last edited:
Hey Dr. D,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've looked at a similar adventure, thinking that it all depends on the trees and if you can pick your way through and find stands of hardwoods. Some of our bushwackers are so hardy that when they say "a little tough" for a "short while", it could mean forbidden territory for others :eek:

happy trails :)

Of course, it's where the 50-foot rule comes in.

In our quest for Middle Abraham (ME), we took nearly 4 hours to get to the summit via Norton Brook and just 1.5 hours to descend on the same trajectory after finding a cairn pointing to a small opening in the krummholz.

I've never done the bushwhack from N Twin to Gale River although I've often looked at it, but I've been from PatN to N Twin and agree that the 1/4 mile these routes share is thick.

I've done the Little River to Guyot-Zealand col route twice in winter and found it fairly open, either the scrub was buried or it has grown up. A couple summers ago I did the Zealand-Zeale-Hale bushwhack and it was definitely better E of the ridge dropping off Zealand so maybe it's the 50' rule again.

As for times, orienteers used to think that trails were 4x faster than the usually-open woods they used, but they would often job on trails. No doubt this ratio varies depending on bushwhack experience and thickness of woods.

NH_Mtn_Hiker and I tried to follow the route of the old Little River Trail in July of 2008. We lost all sign of it after a while and decided to BW to Zealand. It was pretty tough going. We made use of some sketchy loose slides but below and above those it was thick.NH said it was the 2nd toughest BW he had done. I think maybe he forgot about some of them.:D. I had to take my pack off to squeeze though a few spots. A lot different than Denali, which was my last outing before that one.

I have read many accounts that these woods are “pretty open” or words to that effect once you get off the top of Zealand.
Oh yes, I've also done Zeale from Little River and found it pretty open

But that was also in winter and in a different century...

Oh yes, I've also done Zeale from Little River and found it pretty open

But that was also in winter and in a different century...

Roy, what is "Zeale," which you also mention in your earlier reply as "Zealand-Zeale-Hale bushwhack"?

Una-dogger, yes, you met Howard on our opposite loops of the Osceolas last month.

Spencer, the irony to me is that less than 3 to 4 miles to the north is one of the finest birch glades in the Whites for b/c skiing (along the Fire Warden's Trail on Hale). Where was your upper photo taken?

Roy, Audrey and forestgnome, I am not a serious bushwhacker, except in the winter season, which I think is usually a lot easier with a deep solid snowpack (i.e., not like what we found on our Weeks traverse and North Whitcomb last January). And, yes, I do think that tree growth near treeline is becoming thicker as GW continues into the new century (see other VftT threads on this topic :D ).

Hamtero, I too am not sure how useful bushwhacking skills are for Denali, but I am using these trips for physical training, pain and suffering, etc., if nothing else. :)

Roy, what is "Zeale," which you also mention in your earlier reply as "Zealand-Zeale-Hale bushwhack"?
I am not a serious bushwhacker, except in the winter season
A NH100 peak on the ridge between Zealand and Hale, perhaps Mr.Moto will post a photo of the sign

I suppose there isn't much bushwhacking on glaciers, but a lot of winter :)

A NH100 peak on the ridge between Zealand and Hale, perhaps Mr.Moto will post a photo of the sign

Ah, ha. Yes, I showshoed this one in winter with John Swanson many years ago when we called it "South Hale"; was pretty open and easy from Little River as I recall. In fact, on this recent bushwhack, I wanted to head to the broad saddle just south of South Hale (Zeale) and then drop down, but Howard preferred to stay closer to the ridge.

Also, what is the "50-ft rule"?

Corollary: Move 50 feet forward, even after the left/right, and things will get worse.

Exactly my experience! :) I have made it to the summits of all but six of the the NHHH in winter, but I found none except for perhaps North Whitcomb and The Captain as difficult as my bushwhacks off North Twin and Zealand, even considering the advantage of gravity on these two. :eek: