Southern NH question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a trail between Pack Monadnock and Monadnock? Does the M-M trail connect them?
-vegematic

Anyone know if there is a trail between Pack Monadnock and Monadnock? Does the M-M trail connect them?
-vegematic

Unfortunately no. The M+M ends on the summit of Monadnock, and the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway takes over, but that pretty much goes due north and Pack is obviously to the east. The Wapack goes from Wachusset Mountain in Mass and Ends just north of North Pack Monadnock, so goes nowheres far enough or in the right direction of Monadnock.

Sorry. :eek:

Brian

Monadnock

Agree with New Hampshire, it's about a 20 or so minute drive between the two trails.
John

And I'm pretty much right in the middle of those 20 miles. If you ever need a ride between the two, let me know!

No

There has been talk about extending both toward Cardigan so someday maybe you can hike between them just like you can take commercial air from MHT to BOS only via LGA :)

There has been talk about extending both toward Cardigan so someday maybe you can hike between them just like you can take commercial air from MHT to BOS only via LGA :)

Has that been SERIOUS talk, or just musings about "wouldn't it be cool if...?" Because I definitely think extending a trail from the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway to Cardigan would be wicked sweet. Mighty pretty country up that way, and the MSG is already a very nice backpacking trail for a few days.

Has that been SERIOUS talk, or just musings about "wouldn't it be cool if...?" Because I definitely think extending a trail from the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway to Cardigan would be wicked sweet. Mighty pretty country up that way, and the MSG is already a very nice backpacking trail for a few days.
As far as the Wapack, just musings. I knew the guy who was in charge of maintenance years ago and he was ready to go mark it, but lacked the personality to obtain the necessary permissions and was convinced not to do it.

Note that from Sunapee the SRKG Trail extends to Royal Arch Hill which is halfway to Cardigan, but they don't have campsites yet. Maybe a third of the rest is Gile SF so it would be quite feasible and there is some talk based on creating a wildlife corridor from Quabbin.

Unfortunately no. The M+M ends on the summit of Monadnock, and the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway takes over, but that pretty much goes due north and Pack is obviously to the east. The Wapack goes from Wachusset Mountain in Mass and Ends just north of North Pack Monadnock, so goes nowheres far enough or in the right direction of Monadnock.

Sorry. :eek:

Brian

The Wapack goes from the Packs south to Watatic in MA. The Mid-State trail goes from the MA border (and for a few miles follows the Wapack) to Wachusett and than further south to the RI border.

Today I walked the western half of the newly opened Cranberry Meadow Pond trail that connects the town of Peterborough with the Raymond Trail head on the west side of S. Pack. This section of trail follows a very nice small stream that flows from the pond. The western access in on Old Street Rd. just a short distance from Rte. 101. The entire trail is approx. 3.5 miles long.

The road distance between the Wapack and Monadnock is shrinking!

The Wapack goes from the Packs south to Watatic in MA. The Mid-State trail goes from the MA border (and for a few miles follows the Wapack) to Wachusett and than further south to the RI border.

Oops, you are correct. I have had the Wachusett theme song playing through my head for weeks now and must have subliminally made the mistake. :D

Brian