Earthquake in Virginia 8-23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
Did anybody feel the 5.9 magnitude quake that occurred today outside of Richmond, VA? It sure was rockin' in Pittsburgh PA at 1:54pm. About 20 - 25 seconds total and 5 secs of it was some serious back-and-forth swaying. People in high-rises really felt it I was only in a two-story building.

earth quake- NYC

Well I definitely felt it in NYC. :eek:I was home and well, things got very strange for about a minute.

Scared to death- to be honest. Felt like sticking my head out the window of my apartment and shouting.."Hey NYC, did anyone else feel that?"

This is a good reason to keep a backpack fully loaded and ready to go at all times.:D

Oh- I also posted something on this sight on this.

8th floor in downtown Boston - felt the building sway slightly. Nothing compared to what our friends in CA or NZ deal with, but pretty startling for someone who's not used to it.

Rather strong where I live in NYC.

Was in my apartment on the 7th floor of a 15 story steel frame building built on landfill and we felt 3 distinct waves go through over maybe 5 minutes. Lamps swayed and pictures rattled. We went outside where there were lots of folks trading rumors including a contractor who said his man fell off a ladder.

Phone lines were jammed. Finally talked to son in Boston "Did you feel the earthquake?", "We TOTALLY felt it. Everybody in downtown is out on the street".

I've read that on landfill the tremblers are magnified. Yes, I was here 20 odd years ago and felt the upstate NY quake then. That one was just noticable and my daughter on the Upper West Side (on bedrock) didn't feel it. This one was much more scary and it was felt everywhere.

I was sitting in my basement workshop at work, on break, feet up on my desk with my eyes closed enjoying a little snooze before the buzzer to go back to work rang. As I am sitting there I shook myself awake, or so I thought. Then I realized 1) I wasn't actually asleep to begin with, 2) I was still shaking. I sat there for a few seconds thinking "WTF?" I started to think maybe it was an earthquake, and then just as I thought that the guy on the radio (the radio station is in Boston) said that their building was shaking from the earthquake. I thought that kind of neat, to kind of gauge how fast the shockwave was traveling. Nature always provides neat little science experiments when you least expect! :D

Brian

Tremor

I definitely experienced this in Williston, VT, for 30 seconds or so, lampshades rocking and rolling, a rather unusual event, but not the first, in Vermont. I believe it was evident as far north as Montreal, thanks to the good bedrock of the Appalachian chain.