NY, MA, VT state markers off TCT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
Howdy!

I am curious if anyone has the coordinates for the tri-state marker I am looking for just off the Taconic Crest Trail.

Actually I am more interested in any information about what denotes this point. Are there 3 monuments or a single marker? Is there a herdpath? I greatly appreciate all your help.

Thanks!
:)

iceNsnow said:
I am curious if anyone has the coordinates for the tri-state marker I am looking for just off the Taconic Crest Trail.

Actually I am more interested in any information about what denotes this point. Are there 3 monuments or a single marker? Is there a herdpath? I greatly appreciate all your help.
There is a stone monument there. On each corner is there is the state that it abuts (NY=MA=VT).

You can find the coordinates at...

www.geocaching.com

I'd link the exact page, but can't access the site right now.

There are unmarked old woods roads in the area. One comes down from the TCT, following a series of switchbacks. The tri-state marker is quite a ways down from the ridge trail.

There is a lean-to nearby.

The woods are open, so you can also just bushwack.

Tristate marker

It's only one marker because its only one point. It's definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. It is right on a trail or boundary clearing.

Here is a pic I found:Picture.
I'm not sure who that fellow is, but thanks for the pic.

Williams College Outing Club book/map

Hey thanks for the info, Rivet and Tramper All!

I found a nice map in the Williams College Outing Club guide book showing the old roads/paths that go to the monument. :)

I'm not sure about the map you found but a very good map of the area is put out by NY-NJ Trail Conference, called "South Taconic Trails" (#14). It comes in a package with other area maps and is available at EMS and probably other outdoor shops in the area. On this map the marker it is right at the point where the three states meet (obviously), directly on the Mt. Frissell Trail, just east of its junction with the Ashley Hill Trail. You can access the Mt. Frissell Trail off Mt. Washington Rd. (come from the north, it's blocked coming from the south, plus I don't know how passable the road is once snow builds up). Or, you can start at the Undermountain trail on route 41 and go over or around Bear Mt. and take one of a couple side trails out to the Mt. Wash. road and then get to the Mt. Frissell trail. This second option is a pretty hefty hike in winter, with short steep climbs up Round Mt. and Frissell. Or, easiest option is you could start in New York, hike up the South Taconic trail over South Brace and Brace, then make a right on the Mt. Frissell trail. If you did this last option, make sure you go past the tri-state marker and summit Frissell. You will go past the CT highpoint and get some great views from the top.

Ny,ma,vt

Hi David!
Thanks for your recommendation of the NY/NJ maps, I will look into them. The actual triple point that I was looking for was with Vermont, not Connecticut but I am thinking about a trip down to Alander Mt and will check that one out also!

Thanks again,
Inge :)

VT-MA-NY marker

iceNsnow said:
The actual triple point that I was looking for was with Vermont, not Connecticut but I am thinking about a trip down to Alander Mt and will check that one out also!
Ooops! Well when you said Taconic () Trail, I incorrectly assumed the NY-MA-CT marker. Here is a link I have for the VT-MA-NY tristate marker. Since I have not been there, I have to ask you to post a trip report here on VFTT, yes? I am sure others would be interested as well. Have fun!

Last edited:
I'm planning on hiking Berlin Mountain from Route 2 tomorrow morning. If the spirit moves me, I may zip over to the other side of the road and snoop around for the tri-state marker. My Delorme's suggests that it is pretty close to the trail (within several hundred yards) and Tramper Al's links gives very good directions. If I find it, I'll post here.

Edit - 12/15/04 - Well, the spirit didn't move me. Berlin wound up being a little more time consuming (and more enjoyable!) than I had anticipated due in large part to the maze of intersecting ATV trails.

Last edited:
Okay, so here's a crazy idea. Am I just an oddball or does anyone else think it might be fun to hit all three New York cornerpoints in a day ...

NY-MA-VT
NY-MA-CT
NY-PA-NJ

Upon looking into it, I was very surprised to see that NY-PA-NJ has an actual cornerpoint. I would have assumed that it was right in the middle of the Delaware River. But no, there is a marker. I've been thinking about this on and off all day. For my next two little outings, I'm going to hit NY-MA-VT and NY-PA-NJ. I've already visited the third when I climbed Frissell. But I'm thinking that maybe during mud season, it might be fun to try all three in a day.

Or, you could try all four New England tri-corner markers in a day: VT/NH/MA (not much of a marker on the west side of the Connecticut River, which NH owns), RI/MA/CT, MA/CT/NY, and VT/MA/NY (all three have really cool markers).

Mark
The NY, PA NJ corner monument is very easy to find. It is between where the neversink flows into the Delaware and under the I84 bridge. During high waters the marker does get covered but that happend every ten years or so. The best way to get to it is either by Kayak on the Delaware or from in the town of Port Jervis. You have to go into a cemetary I think it is called Laural Grove. Go all the way to the end of the Cemetary and under the I 84 Bridge. It looks like the High Point monument but very small scale.
For a more intresting hike you can bushwhack the state line and find all the old state border monuments. If you are lucky you can come across some of the first markers dating back from when the line was first done. I was only ever able to find one of them but I did find some of the newer ones.

Last edited:
I would have never guessed that tri-pointing could be such a hazardous activity. Sounds like I could get swept away by flood waters or crushed by flying debris. I will plan and proceed very carefully. :D