Snowshoe choice ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrisisBill

Reaction score
Hello all,
Well it's time to make a Snowshoe choice for a hiking partner, he runs about 183 lbs and is just starting out on the trails with me.
Should he look at Vermont-Tubbs or try MSR's ? I use my old Tubbs and they are fine with me but I just saw a pair of MSR's that got me thinking......
Anyone here using MSR's, good, bad ?
Thanks for any information.
Bill :confused:

CrisisBill said:
Anyone here using MSR's, good, bad ?

I have a pair.

MSR's work well. Relatively light weight. Grip well on slopes. Good crampon. Decent binding. A little noisy on hard crust. Might be worth getting the extensions for a 180 pounder. Justifiably popular.

There was a review in Backpacker magazine several years ago.
http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,1889__1_2,00.html
They liked them.

Doug

MSRs are very hard on the feet since they are on a solid platform - the flotation tails are better than nothing but your snowshoes will do a "nosedive" while using the extensions since the foot is still mounted near the front of the shoe with the extensions on (but you cant beat the MSRs traction).
the tubbs are nice but will not have the traction that the MSRs have - they will however be easier on your feet - for hiking along steep trails the 25" tubbs are best - when you have a steep climb you can put your feet sideways for better traction when you start sliding with each step - also remember that a larger shoe has the same size crampon on the binding and heel as the smaller shoe of the same model, so you have more surface to slide backwards but nothing more to bite in with (plus longer shoes are not as manuverable when you have to put them sideways for traction) - also the flotation of a bigger shoe isn't usually so much greater as to justify the heavier shoe - i once tried shoes for flotation on 4 feet of new powder snow... 25" tubbss sunk 1.5 - 2 feet - 30" tubbs sunk 1-2 feet - 36" tubbs sunk 1 foot - 48" wooden, neoprene laced snowshoes sunk 1-3 inches but would have no traction or manuverability for climbing (i didn't try the MSRs that day since they are only 21" without the tails on and wouldn't sit level with the 9"tails).

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you all for all the GREAT information, things have changed so much in the last few years. I thought it was big when I went from my old wooden Bearpaws to the Tubbs, I must be getting old..............

Snowshoes

Hi CrisisBill, :)

Since the first snow this winter We hiked with the new series Elevation of Tubbs, We just changed the usual crampons to upgrade with "Vipere" crampons.

We are very sastisfied with this new serie, for You, We recommande the 30.

They resisted at all this winter Pinpin's hike, We think it is a good test!! :D

Happy trail. ;)

Pinpin Junior. ;)

I have used tubbs for the last few years. They are great in Powder, grippy (with the new crampons) on hard pack, and sufficient on ice. Tubbs was a great local company and their direct customer service will be missed as K2 has bought them out, and moved manufacture to China.

-percious

I'm probably going to get laughed off the tread for this one but I purchased a pair of Yukon Charlie's for $59 at walmart and have climbed several Catskill 3500s and ADK High Peaks in them this winter and have never had a problem. Thought I would mention it in case money is an issue.

I have a pair of MSRs that Santa delivered this year that I love, put over 60 miles on them last month in a wide variety of conditions. The ones I have include the ascent bar that you can lock in place for sustained trips up grade. For what seems like an insignificant piece of metal, they save a world of hurt on your leg muscles. The drawback, as stated by others, is that they tend to nosedive with the extender tabs on, but they seem pretty indestructable otherwise, and have awesome traction.

I've hiked this winter with MSR Evo's. I don't like the tails, especially if I'm feeling for trail underneath. I pretty much wear them all the time and suspect they're more comfortable than barebooting and certainly more comfortable than crampons. I have no experience with Tubbs.

I have been using the MSR Danali classics since they came out and never had any defect problems with them. The only problem I have encountered was a broken crampon and that was my own fault. The MSR's have a very easy binding system that can be done with gloves and you dont have to worry about the binding straps freezing up like the Tubbs T91 (I think thats what there called) I also own a pair of Tubbs and like them a lot as well. I prefere the Tubbs for deeper snow because they do float better than the MSR. The MSR's have great traction on solid snow and I like being able to adjust the tails depending on snow conditions. Overall the MSR's are the way to go, they work in all conditions and are reasonably priced.

I also have a pair of Cabella shoes that I use around the fields and woods by my house and found them to be very nice. The only major problem with them is the the crampon is held by a rubber strap. This does not alow the crampon to flex much. They work well in rolling terrain and float well.

I have to say my faverite snowshoe are the wooden shoes. The only problem with them is there is no crampon and you need deep powder. The only time I get to use them is just after a storm.

Last edited:
It's hard to go with just one snowshoe, in my experience. I have MSR Denali Ascents with the optional tails for general mountaineering use. They're durable (even though much plastic) and grip extremely well. I find the platform very comfortable. I have a pair of 25 inch Redfeather running snowshoes with pointed tails and titanium bindings for light and fast hiking and running. The crampons on these are terrific and the whole snowshoe is extremely durable and light. The pointed tails allow for a very natural stride and actually function as a sort of stabilizing rudder when going down steep downhills. In all but the toughest conditions, I usually opt for the Redfeathers.

One important consideration is how well the binding will go with the variety of shoes you want to use. Some of the bindings, particularly on Tubbs and Atlas snowshoes will only work well with a pretty hefty hiking boot, not as well with a running shoe or lowtop, light boot. Both the MSRs and Redfeathers work with a very broad range of footwear.