A Non-Peak Hike 8/11/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
Did you ever have one of those days when you can’t make up your mind? Saturday’s weather was gorgeous and I knew I wanted to do something, but couldn’t decide what. I began to feel like a phone menu:

“Please select from the following options:
1) cycling
2) hiking
3) kayaking”

Ok, I bicycled the previous two days and planned to kayak on Sunday, so I decided to hike, but couldn’t make up my mind where. Next set of options included:

1) Isolation - my new favorite peak. I love the 360 degree views on this mountain coupled with what I view as a relatively easy hike. I don’t mind the distance (14.4 miles) because there aren’t many steep sections, and splashing across the streams in my crocs is just fun!
2) Carrigain - GREAT views on a sunny day!
3) Moriah via Stony Brook
4) Whiteface via Blueberry Ledge trail
5) Flume via Osseo - all of the above would be great to relax on the rocky ledges and soak in the warmth of the sun’s rays, and the Osseo trail up Flume is one I haven’t tried yet
6) Eisenhower via Edmands trail - I like exploring trails I haven’t tried yet.

As you can see, the decision wasn’t easy, and I began to feel immobilized by my inability to make up my mind. Suddenly I realized I was looking at this all wrong. My desire to go hiking wasn’t really about summiting a mountain, it was really all about, “Where do I want to have lunch?” It’s amazing how my mind clears when I start thinking about food. ;) The answer was immediate: on the shore of the big pond in Carter Notch. And since I like exploring trails I haven’t done before, I decided to go up the east side via the Bog Brook Trail and Wildcat River Trail (not to be confused with the Wild River trail).

Arrived at the trailhead a little after 9:30 and was surprised to see two other cars there. I don’t know why, it was a beautiful Saturday and obviously lots of other people would be out hiking, but this side of the notch feels more secluded, private, and less traversed, so I was surprised to see signs of other people on this side of the notch.

And yet, I didn’t see anyone during my hike up. The Bog Brook and Wildcat River trails are beautiful!! The trail signs and blazing were clear and the trail is well maintained. There was evidence of new ladders and timbers laid across muddy areas. Work still needs to be done, but clearly someone(s) are taking good care of maintaining this trail. Whoever you are, THANK YOU!!

I LOVE hiking along brooks, streams, and rivers as I can never get enough of the sound of cascading water. Lots of toads were out modeling the upcoming fall colors: gold and brown, orange and brown, brown and black, gray and black. Red and gray squirrels were busily running between trail and trees. Bugs were present, but not too irritating unless I stopped.

There were at least half a dozen steam crossings, two of which I reached behind me and pulled out a trekking pole tucked into the side of my pack to assist with balance. Someone with longer legs (I’m 5’3”) probably wouldn’t have needed to do so. Some of the rocks in the stream crossings were just lightly covered with slippery moss, but others were fully carpeted in plush moss. I imagine in the spring when the water is much higher and flowing stronger that many of the stream crossings become much more difficult.

The trails are mostly flat, gaining only 1600 feet in elevation during the almost 4 1/2 miles to the notch. There are a few steeper sections, the longer one being closest to the notch, but the hike was very easy on the knees, more rooty than rocky. I knew I was nearing the notch when I looked north and could see the cliffs above the ramparts. I love that view! Very close to where the bunkhouses are, there is a sign for the trail to the ramparts. I will need to return and explore that someday, but today was all about having lunch on the shore of the big pond.

I arrived at the hut at 11:40, only 2 hours after leaving the trailhead. The hut smelled great as a member of the croo was making soup, bread, and something else I can’t remember. The hut felt cozy and she said they manage to fit all 40 guests in during dinner and breakfasts at their four tables, although it’s sometimes a very snug fit depending on the size of the guests. I bought a piece of the chocolate chip coffee cake, refilled a water bottle, and headed out to enjoy my lunch.

The beauty of both ponds is pristine and in my case, mesmerizing. I don’t “lose” myself in water, but rather it feels as if my thoughts travel to many places more easily. I feel so relaxed! The chocolate chip coffee cake hit the spot, followed by a homemade morning glory muffin, and a large handful of fresh blueberries. Hey, I had all the essentials of a healthy lunch: fresh fruit, veges (carrots) and protein (nuts) in the muffin, and chocolate! ;)

I actually spent about a half hour enjoying the waterfront view. I don’t usually stop for that long, especially when I’m by myself, but this area has such a calming effect on me. The yellow water lilies were still there, although there were fewer of them than two weekends ago. I actually saw a few fish snag insects off the surface of the water! Then I started thinking about eating trout....I am so food oriented. I’m always surprised, however, that what I crave at the end of a hike isn’t the ice cream or cookies I thought I’d want and had earned, but rather “real” food like salad and meat. I like the high-energy carbs before and during a hike, but afterwards I want protein and veges.

Time to go, and I savored my hike back enjoying the views of the traveling water and and its music. On the way I met 5 people headed up. They seemed to be enjoying the trail as much as I was. At 2:15 I took off my boots and slipped on the Crocs for the ride home. What a great non-peak hike!

AND the day got even better when I pulled up beside the set of mailboxes where I live and the guy behind me got out to get his mail too. I noticed his hiking boots and made a comment that he looked like he had gone hiking too. He asked me if I was a member of VFTT. Turns out I had the pleasure of meeting 1happyhiker! :) Way too cool! You never know where you're going to run into a VFTT'er.

Nice TR. Sounds like you had an easy going, relaxing, no goals other than to be out on a nice day, hike. Oh yes, and lunch.

Howdy Neighbor!

Roxi, I’ve read many of your Trip Reports and they’re all fabulously well written and a pleasure to read!! It was just way over the top to meet you in person at the mailboxes and discover that we’re neighbors!!