A September Finish on the High Road to Isolation, 9/22/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
September 22, 2012: Isolation

Trails: Direttissima, Glen Boulder Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Spur

Summits: Isolation

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Sue and I went back on the Grid to finish up our September hikes with Isolation. Plan A was Isolation round-trip via Glen Boulder – with lots of above-the-treeline exposure see some great views and possibly enjoy a little fall color along the way. Plan B was Isolation via Rocky Branch – sheltered all the way but a good route for difficult conditions. Either way, we were hiking Isolation and finishing off September. The forecast for the day looked really nice but the prevailing conditions at the start didn’t seem to agree. Low, dark cloud cover had the upper half of the surrounding peaks obscured. We decided to throw the dice and believe the experts – we went with Plan A.

We arrived at PNVC to use the facilities, take care of final hike preparation, and get started. We enjoyed hiking from PNVC on our last hike to Isolation and decided to go with it again.

Direttissima is a nice warm-up for the day. It’s a little longer but only adds ~1.2 miles to the day. We crossed the bridge over Cutler River on the south side of PNVC to the trailhead lot for Direttissima Trail, and we were hiking. As we hiked along it seems the trail gradually moved away from the highway and soon the beautiful hum of Harley’s cruising past faded. About that time we hit the junction with Glen Boulder Trail, we made a right, and the real climbing for the day was coming up.

When we decided to go with Plan A we were hoping for clear conditions by the time we reached the treeline. Slowly we made progress up toward the treeline stopping as needed along the way for a brief break in the action or to get a picture. Eventually the trees got small and we were approaching the treeline. Re arrived to the area of the treeline and met one pair of hikers descending and then another solo hiker at the treeline carefully making her way across the final exposed ledge. After a couple minutes it was our turn to go.

We climbed the initial exposed ledge and started into the exposed hiking for the day. We found ourselves above the remaining cloud cover. Everywhere we looked below there was undercast in the lower elevations. Nice! We were stuck with great conditions to enjoy – the experts guessed right again! Another pair of hikers passed us just above the treeline also headed to Isolation. By now we knew the exposed ledge was wet and extremely slippery. They asked if we planned to exit via Rocky Branch. I commented things should be dry by the time we get back and we were planning to return via Glen Boulder.

From the treeline to Glen Boulder is a relatively short section. We needed to be extra cautions due to the wet conditions but there were plenty of safe spots for a good foot placement. We had no problems climbing the initial slabs to Glen Boulder. Above Glen Boulder the rocks are better suited for difficult conditions and we just climbed. Before long we were moving into the scrub above Glen Boulder for the hike across to Slide Peak. We were enjoying lots of sun and a light breeze – a perfect day.

We reached Slide Peak, paused for a few pictures, and generally kept moving. In front of us was the remaining climb to Davis Path ending our initial climb of ~3300 feet in ~3.8 miles. We made our way up to Davis Path junction and found the pair that had passed us earlier lounging in the sun and enjoying a snack. From here to the summit of Isolation was mostly downhill and we had terrific views to the south over our planned route.

We made the turn and headed south to Isolation. Slowly we made our way back to the treeline and onto the sheltered section leading to Isolation. The trail is really dry and even the mud pits in the vicinity of the blow-downs north of Isolation West are solid and easy to get past. We made our way past Isolation West and Isolation East junctions and were in the final cruise to Isolation.

This final mile has a number of mud pits that are never dry. We slowly made our way through this section, climbed the final couple hundred feet to the summit, and joined the waiting crowd. There must have been twenty to thirty people spread out on the summit area. Some were leaving but others were pulling in just as fast. We got a couple quick pictures and wandered off to the side for a quick snack before our exit hike. A busy day on Isolation for sure!

Soon, we were on our exit hike back to PNVC. First, we had a re-climb of ~1500 feet to Glen Boulder Trail. It’s a lot of effort but delivers a lot of reward. We made our way back through the Davis Path pits, Isolation East and Isolation West, and finally past the treeline. Back above the trees we found conditions generally the way we left them; clear, sunny, light breeze, and still some undercast. From the treeline to Glen Boulder Trail is a relatively easy final climb; from there to the truck is generally all downhill with a few small bumps along the way.

We reached Glen Boulder junction, made the turn, and started the long downhill run to the truck. We made our way past Slide Peak, through the scrub on the ridge, and roughly half way down to Glen Boulder when a stub of a shrub at knee-level got me. I didn’t need to look to know there was blood. We stopped and went to work on the ding. Sue pulled out a couple wet wipes and we cleaned things up. After a while the bleeding was under control, a large Band-Aid was in place, and we were again on the move. The Band-Aid lasted a few hundred yards but eventually it came off. At least the leak had stopped.

The remainder of the hike to the treeline, to Direttissima, and to the truck went without a surprise. We stepped into the lot at PNVC to find the place had really cleared out. We tossed our things into the back of the truck, went in for a quick change, and called it a day.

Hiking Isolation from PNVC is a really nice approach and it was a great way to finish our Grid-month of September.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Did you hear me beep?

Hehe, that was you and Sue I saw heading into Direttissima that morning. Thought so; sure enough anyway that I beeped my horn as I drove by. I was on 16 headed for the PNVC to hike Huntington Ravine. What a gorgeous day for a hike, huh?

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Hehe, that was you and Sue I saw heading into Direttissima that morning. Thought so; sure enough anyway that I beeped my horn as I drove by. I was on 16 headed for the PNVC to hike Huntington Ravine. What a gorgeous day for a hike, huh?
Hey Mike,

I never heard a thing - but that's not unusual.

Yeah, great day for some time above the treeline.

;)