A week in the High Peaks: 7/16-22: part 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read all of your reports at one sitting. Makes me want to do them all again. Looking forward to maybe hiking a couple with you sometime. Maybe in Winter? The "W-46" is calling me. Good job.

AlG: Thanks! Arm is always talking about ADK winter trips and I suspect I'll get myself out there at least once this winter. I still want to finish my NH W48 (I have 15 left, and might be able to finish this winter if I work at it). I hope that we do get to hike together. I've met a fantastic group of hikers out there, and hope to meet and hike with many more.

JimB: Couchsachraga sign is very new - still had the "new sign" smell to it. It was a beautiful sight to see :)

Sherpa,

I finally got the time to sit and read your trip report and all I can say is OUTSTANDING! Good show! Sounds like a fantastic time in some wonderful places. Your report and photos have me drooling at the thought of getting out there to do some hikes.

JohnL

Nice pics Sherp.

I'm partial to the pics atop Skylight & Colden look'n down at Elk & Colden Lakes. For some reason I really like looking down at lakes and streams.

Yer one tough dude. Must be that north country upbringing.

Chao,

Gris

Sherp,

Great hikin', man! I'm doing Couch the week after next, so you gave me a few valuable tips. That's the beauty of these forums!! Thanks, good luck, keep truckin, and hope to see ya in them thar hills.

Tom
P.S. Did you use the 787 detour around Albany?

Tom: I should have THANKED YOU PROFUSELY for that one! I cruised around Albany and got to Upper Works (and a beer) in 4 hours 50 minutes. Your timing was excellent, and it really paid off. I've got plenty of High Peaks left to go (31 left), so let's get out on some.

JohnL: anytime you want to get out there, let me know. We'll do the usual: I'll leave 4 hours ahead of you, you'll pass me on the way to the summit ;) One caution: they Adirondacks are very addicting!

Gris: I'm doing another one again next summer. C'Mon up!

Count me in for next years trip, at least part of it. Don't forget to post your Haystack trip for your 46--that's a order--I want to be there.

oh, yes I did see you on Marcy, didn't realize it was you. Knew you were in the area...anyway, good to see you again.

Sherpa,

With this as my only scenic view from my single trip to the Adirondacks, I'm feeling itchy to get back out there. Count me in on the next bus.

JohnL

Great report, Sherpa! I just got back from a five day solo excursion and had fun reading while woofing down a whole pizza... oh, there's two slices left. Better polish them off before that real bed sucks me in.

Glad you had such a memorable time.

Gris said:
Nice pics Sherp.

I'm partial to the pics atop Skylight & Colden look'n down at Elk & Colden Lakes. For some reason I really like looking down at lakes and streams.

I agree, great pictures. Okay, I know I'm gonna be the bad guy for this, but I feel obligated. In -THIS- photo, the water in the picture is not Elk Lake, its Boreas Ponds. You cannot see Elk Lake from Skylight.

I'm a wennie, I know (sorry :() I loved the photos, brings back great memories.

I agree, great photos Sherpa. Nice job capturing the pain of the Cliff herdpath. Another correction from the cheap seats. In P7180071, P7180075, and P7200142 it is Avalanche Mountain (not Wallface). Wallface is in a similar position, but west of the Indian rather than Avalanche Pass.

Tim,
Thanks for the correction. I'd rather know what I was looking at and Elk Lake was a guess. Any other corrections are much appreciated!

Mark,
Thanks for your corrections also! I should have gotten those right! I've been looking at the maps for so long, I should have them memorized. Brain fart I guess :)

I've got so much to learn and best do it before I'm an old dog! Wait, I'm already an old dog learning a new set of tricks ;)

Glad the pics brought back good memories. I know what the views did for me.

Well Done!

Great Trip Report Sherpa!
10 peaks in 6/12 days! Wow! Puts me to shame....it's taken me 22 years to bag 24. At this rate I'll have to be carried up #46 :)

Sherpa,

I finally sat down and enjoyed all of your photos in a slide show...the shots of the mountains were so beautiful, I thought I was going to cry! I loved reliving the trip with your report and photos. Thanks for taking the time.

CM

Great trip reports SherpaK and you captured some really good photos...I'm impressed...when you set out to do some hiking, you really get some good hiking in...wish I could have join you.

Mt. Marcy

Hi Sherpa K,
I ran into you on the Top of Mt. Marcy when you did this Trip. I'm the guy that Climbed Mt. Katahdin & Mt. Washington both from start to finish in the same Calendar Day as my Summer Solstice Event. You write a really good trip report. Your Trip sounds like it was a lot of fun. As I remember, it rained quite a bite that week. I'm glad you guys didn't let the rain change your plans. Your a real Trooper.

Stay safe,

CrazyDave