Adams via Airline, returning on Israel Ridge/Randolph/Amphi 3/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jozsef

Amazingly there was almost no snow going up Airline to Adams at all (compared with Washington which still has snow at lower elevations). There were very long stretches of trail covered in ice, for which I used crampons but microspikes would have probably done it if you're brave. Once I got above the treeline, the crampons were no longer necessary and some of us ascended without. Coming down the other side of Adams toward Edmands Col was windy windy windy, so windy. I found a couple of patches of snow to traipse around in but even here the snow cover was very limited. Totally barebootable all the way to the junction of Gulfside Trail with Israel Ridge. I had Jefferson in my sights but the wind at Thunderstorm junction was brutal and I immediately reconsidered. I barebooted Israel Ridge Trail down to the Perch and joined up with Randolph. Right around Perch the whole trail becomes a sidewalk of ice and I kept my crampons on all the way to Amphibranch and along much of Amphibranch. Very little snow here.