Alpine Garden via Lion Head Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHClimber

Reaction score
12/16/23 Pinkham/Tucks to Huntington Ravine fire road to Lion Head Winter Trail to junction with Alpine Garden Trail and then down Lion Head Summer Trail to Tucks. 6.3 miles round trip, 3 hours. Lion Head Winter was technically closed and involved some mixed scrambling up the chute. Had to give the dog a lift and a shove to get him up the chute but otherwise it involved only a little technical climbing that seemed straightforward to me. Used micro spikes with no trouble. Upper part of chute steep but sufficient snow so uneventful. All and all, bluebird day with warm temps. Lots of skiers around Tucks.

For those looking for the winter Lion Head trail conditions in the steep section, here’s a photo I found that is somewhat close. There was less snow at the bottom where the rock scramble is. There must be even less now following all the rain. But the scramble is very short. I suspect guides put up a rope for clients but it is most certainly not needed unless you are just not accustomed to hiking steep chutes. That said, you cannot fall on this section.

IMG_1464.jpeg

Something tells me unfortunately that conditions have changed since Saturday. Good for you to get out and grab while it was there.

Something tells me unfortunately that conditions have changed since Saturday. Good for you to get out and grab while it was there.
Was actually a mistake. I wasn't paying much attention -- just out for a stroll and ended up following another hiker up the winter route, which was closed (but some climbers had just descended it). Ended up "leading" the steep section for the other hiker, who had backed down (well, technically, the pooch went first so he got the onsight lol).