An Excellent Day on Moosilauke, 2/21/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 21, 2009: Moosilauke

Trails: Beaver Brook Trail

Summits: Moosilauke

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Snow from the storms that came through during the week was a concern. I was pretty sure there would be trail braking involved with any hike we decided to take on. Since the reports indicated the snow totals were roughly 50% greater in the Jackson/Bartlett area when compared to Lincoln and Franconia we focused on our western targets. Late Friday we decided on Moosilauke.

As usual, Sue and I met at the Exit 6 Park & Ride to load our things into one vehicle and head north. After the usual stops along the way we reached the trailhead area for the Beaver Brook Trail a little after 8:00am. To my surprise there were a number of vehicles in the lot and the trail was broken out. Nice start. It was cold and we were being hit with a strong breeze in the lot but I was sure we would warm up quickly and the shelter of the trees would help block the wind.

We set off from the lot on snowshoes and they never came off until we returned. The first quarter mile leads to the hiker registration and warning signs. Along the way are two small bridges – both with an interesting monorail. Be careful or you’ll go over the side! After passing the registration there is a short section of trail that leads to the bottom of the Beaver Brook cascades and the start of the steep climb. There were between eight and ten hikers ahead of us doing a great job of breaking the trail. It appeared some were wearing snowshoes and some were bare booting, at least on had crampons. The trail was generally packed powder and with the recent storm there was a loose layer of very dry powder on the surface. Traction was great and we had no problems making the climb on snowshoes.

At the first section of ledge where handholds have been mounted, the trail takes a bypass to the south and avoids the ice and ledge. The bypass is good but once the trail becomes icy I believe it will be a problem. There is a large blowdown at the top of the bypass and below it the trail drops away with a very steep pitch. Poor footing while crossing the blowdown will be a test.

We maintained a very leisurely pace and soon found ourselves at the spur trail to the Beaver Brook Shelter. Overhead the clouds were flying past but at trail level things were generally calm. After a brief break we were back on the hike and climbing the final section to the junction with the Asquam Ridge Trail. As we approached the junction we also walked into an incredible winter world. The loaded trees and trail tunnel through them was special. From here to the junction with the Benton Trail was one huge non-stop Kodak moment – lots of pictures.

We made our way past Mount Blue and down into the col between it and Moosilauke. Here we found the most amazing scenery of the hike. The snow cover on the trees was very heavy and built up on all surfaces of the trees; top, bottom, and side. It appeared that a great deal of moisture followed the initial snow and froze everything in place. Fortunately, the wind was not clearing the snow from the trees and we were able to stay dry. There are a couple viewpoints along the way past Mount Blue and on the approach to the junction with the Benton Trail. Since there were no distance views we became focused on the nearby scenery and that was just fine.

A short distance before the Benton Trail junction we came upon a solo hiker, then a group of approximately six or seven, and then a pair. All seemed to have comments concerning the conditions ahead. We started the hike expecting a west wind in the vicinity of 35mph at the summit.

We reached the Benton Trail junction and decided to delay layering up until we were closer to the treeline. As we made the climb from the trail junction to the treeline the wind quickly increased. Soon, we were enjoying uncomfortable conditions and stopped to add some layers. Out came the full winter protection. Completely covered from head-to-toe with no exposed skin at all, we were ready for the final climb to the summit.

Once we stepped from the protection of the spruce the wind was impressive. I didn’t know the conditions we had but after returning home I did some checking.

The National Weather Service was predicting a wind level of 10 mph less at 3000 feet compared to 6000 feet today at 1:00pm. Specifically, the forecast was predicting 35 mph at 3000 feet and 45 mph at 6000 feet, but other forecasts were running much higher. Based on the history report for the NWS weather station on the summit of Mount Washington, the actual at 1:00pm for 6288 feet was 63 mph which seems to suggest the winds we ran into on Moosilauke were around 55 mph. The same forecast was predicting approximately 8 degrees difference in temperature between 6000 feet and 3000 feet. The 1:00pm temperature at 6288 feet was 0 degrees which suggests we were probably working with 5 degrees. Since we were both well covered head-to-toe, wind chill of -25 doesn't really apply (it pertains to exposed skin and we didn't have any).

We made our way to the summit area. When we arrived there was a group of six on skis leaving on the Carriage Road. Two others with snowboards on their packs were arriving via Gorge Brook. One in the group of six went down a short distance off the summit and it seemed that nearly all were needed to help him back up.

With no views and a stiff breeze we decided to get our summit pictures and take off. The two with snowboards patiently waited for us to finish with our summit shots and made their move on the summit sign.

The walk back to the treeline was no less difficult than the walk to the summit. Fortunately, we had a steady wind that was not at all gusty making it relatively easy to remain upright. We made it to the trees and were again out of the wind – sort of. All of the way to the Benton Trail junction the wind was hitting hard. It wasn’t until after we made the turn that relatively calm conditions returned. We stopped to remove some of the protection and continued our exit walk. Along the way we came upon a pair with a dog, and a trio all headed for the summit. I hope they all enjoyed the fresh air that was waiting for them.

Soon after passing the Benton Trail junction the sky opened up with quite a bit of blue on display. We finally had the distance views to enjoy. The additional warmth from the sun was also a welcome change. Back through the col and the amazing scenery we soon reached the Asquam Ridge Trail junction. Even though the trail was in terrific shape with nearly no ice at all I expected to have crampons on before reaching the bottom of the cascades.

We started the climb down on snowshoes. Soon we reached the spur to the Beaver Brook Shelter, had a quick break, and continued. There were several areas where glissading was the best approach and it was great fun. Soon we found ourselves at the base of the cascades still wearing snowshoes. Not bad! The final walk out was a quick one with the only places that needed care were the two bridges and their monorails.

Based on past experience, I never expected to hike the Beaver Brook Trail end-to-end on snowshoes. The ice that is common on the steep climb along the side of the cascades was not there. We had great trail conditions for a snowshoe ascent and descent with a little glissading entertainment tossed in.

I think Moosilauke was a very good choice for the day. Thanks Sue – I had a great time as usual and hope you did too.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Last edited:
Fantastic Earl! Another of your entertaining and informative Trip Reports.:)
Based on past experience, I never expected to hike the Beaver Brook Trail end-to-end on snowshoes. The ice that is common on the steep climb along the side of the cascades was not there.
Yes, that was remarkable that you were able to do the entire hike via that route without a change of footwear!

Fantastic Earl! Another of your entertaining and informative Trip Reports.:)

Yes, that was remarkable that you were able to do the entire hike via that route without a change of footwear!

Thanks. It was a fun day. We didn't change footwear but did end up seated more than once on the way to the bottom of the cascades. ;)

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Nice hike. We made it to Lakes and then turned back because the weather was similar to our Washington hike. The trail was lightly broken to the gem pool and then we broke all the way to Lakes. It was an interesting day. Glad you and Sue and a fun day on the Moose..

Nice hike. We made it to Lakes and then turned back because the weather was similar to our Washington hike.…

…Glad you and Sue and a fun day on the Moose..
Thanks Rick,
In the PMs we exchanged on Thursday I mentioned the high wind that seemed likely on Washington and Monroe for Saturday based on the general forecasts from multiple sources. Once Sue and I cleared the treeline we were hit with lots of wind – seemingly much greater than the wind we had on Washington a few weeks back. :eek: I was pretty sure you were getting the same treatment. There is nothing west of Moosilauke to disrupt a westerly wind and the same is true for most of the presidentials.

I’m glad everybody made it back down safe.

We didn't enjoy the distance views that are available from Moosilauke but the surroundings in which we hiked were amazing. :)