Anroscoggin Source to the Sea Event coming up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My yearly reminder than the source to the sea events will be occuring in July. Mostly weekends. They coordinate shuttles and usually have some sort of outdoors expert along for the ride each day. Most of the events are good family paddles althouhg they do do some fast water runs. The Shelburne to Rumford days are generally a nice paddle.

http://arwc.camp7.org/

The event has been going on for 15 years. The group was real active in securing access points all along the river and also were the ones that developed the map. At some point a seperate organization effectively took over the southern part of the river and took away a lot of support and funding for the north country section. I have done the Shelburne to Gilead stretch way to many times. Its a nice paddle but its along Rt 2 so there is some car/truck noise on occasion (sort of like the Pemi). There is very little development along the river, we usually see an eagle and occasionally moose. Its a fast water paddle below the dam and the put in is rocky so keep that in mind when choosing boats. The last stretch of the river at the confluence of the Wild river and the Androscoggin is frequently shallow so bottom scraping can happen. I have done it with my my strip built boats several times but I dont mind scratches in the varnish as they go way the next time I revarnish.

If you want to cover a long stretch of river these events may not be for you. I have done the same stretch after work. They usually stop for lunch and take their time. Plan on 4 hours of paddling max. They set up the car shuttles in advance and occasionally set up van. It is real nice if you want to just get out on the water and dont want to worry about logisitics. If you want to get out make a day of it, Shelburne to Bethel is longer but still reasonable day.

With the exception of a couple of small rental outfits that will set up trips if requested, this is the only organized paddling on the river every year. The river is supplied by hydro dams so it can be paddled into the fall. There are a couple of fishing guides who work it but access is tough for boat trailers so they tend to stay downstream where there is drive in put in. The entire stretch of river from Gorham to the Maine line is managed as trophy fishing waters so flyfisherman occasionally work some stretches and many of the streams have native brook trout spawning areas.

Like many other places in the north country, the river is ignored by most folks from downstate. On a weekend when the Saco is wall to wall, there may not be any boats out.