Backpacking the Quehanna Wild Area (PA)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitch

Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49239558@N04/sets/72157659866921111

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/backpacking-the-quehanna-wild-area/

The Quehanna Wild Area covers almost 50,000 acres and is one of the best-kept hiking and backpacking secrets in the east. It features miles of trails with countless loop options. The wild area is very isolated and has diverse habitats and scenery. There are vistas, meadows, huge boulders, cascades and waterfalls, pristine streams, scenic glens, and forests of pine, hemlock, spruce, and hardwoods. Rhododendron often grow along the streams. Beautiful campsites are along many streams. Elk also live in the wild area.

I recently did a 30ish mile loop through the wild area following a variety of trails and a short bushwhack. The leaves were at peak in some places, still green in others, and bare along the meadows. The weather was perfect, but there was a frost in the morning. In some places, the forest was an endless spectrum of gold and yellow that glowed in the sun. I saw two bucks in the meadows, hawks, but no elk. At night, the stars and constellations were amazing. I really enjoyed all the beautiful drainages of the wild area, where clear streams tumbled over moss covered boulders under hemlock and rhododendron. The trails are so diverse- over the course of a few miles you can hike across meadows, through jungles of rhododendron with cascades, forests of hemlock or spruce, or tall northern hardwoods. I did not see another hiker, though several others signed the registers.

Afterwards I stopped by the breathtaking Bucktail Overlook with superb views across the PA Wilds. The setting sun cast shade across the glen and gorges. Massive plateaus rose to the south as rolling ridges faded to the north. Falls colors dotted the mountains.

A great weekend.

This is awesome jmitch!
We have a camp around a mile from the Bucktail Overlook, just down the dirt road along that ridge (Mason Hill). I think I have about 1000 pictures from that overlook area. (Note avatar photo!) While I have always wanted to hike the entire Quehanna Trail in one trip (75 miles-ish) I just have not been able to make it happen.....yet. I have walked bits and pieces, and hiked plenty of other trails in the area. A favorite is the Fred Woods Trail, a 5 mile loop directly across from our camp, with two outstanding vistas, if you are ever back in the area.
We typically go down every Columbus Day but I missed this year due to a business trip. Seeing your pictures makes me sorry I did! Such a perfect time of year to be in that area as you said.
There was a story once, in Backpacker maybe? of a couple with two children that did the trail with Llamas carrying there gear.
Thanks for posting these!
DSC01425.jpg

Last edited: