Bald Faces for the Unstable - Oct 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nif

Reaction score
Bob Kittredge said:
On the way down from N BF I met a party of three women coming up who didn't seem to be sure of where they were or where they had been; one woman seemed to think they had been on S BF already. Mainly they just wanted to get down and have it be over. I explained that they were headed up N BF and would then also have to go up S BF and then down the ledges. I tried to emphasize that sane people did not go down the ledges. Not sure whether they had a map or whether I had made myself understood. I left them to talk with other hikers and continued on.....
From BF Oct 11th Trip Report.

I just about died laughing when I read Bob's Trip report. Except that we were a day later and Unfrozen Caveman with us, that fourth paragraph could have been taken for us....except ours was by design for the most part....I will note here that 3 out of 4 of us have rock climbing experience. Dry slab is not unfamiliar territory. It is however not for everyone. (Wet slab we hate) :mad:

Darl58, Juniper, UFC and I decided that Sunday would be the perfect day for the Baldfaces. Darl and I had not done it before and it was on our list of things to do. UFC and Juniper had done it before via Bicknell Ridge. As we headed down 113 looking for the trailhead it was a gorgeous day. I commented to Juniper that I couldn't believe there wasn't more traffic, it was mobbed everywhere else. Come to find out they were all already there. The parking lot was full and a tour bus from Montreal was just unloading....more on that later.

We polled a few people at Barnes prior to taking off. They advise to us was look at our map and "follow" the stars (ie the route with all the viewpoints). We all had our maps packed however and decided we weren't going to be bothered to fish them out until we got to the summit. We'd look while we ate our Sandwiches. So we headed off and took the circle trail North to South. That's what we remembered people telling us to do and it would keep us out of the crowds, everyone else was choosing South to North.

"BRING ON THE BALDNESS"
We got about 3/4's of the way up to the junction with the Mt. Meader trail, etc when the whining started to kick in. This is longer than I thought. I'm Tired. Man its hotter than yesterday. Where is the breeze? When is this forest going to end? We were ready for the woods to be over. This was finally capped off by Juniper's exclaiming from behind, "Bring on the Baldness, already"..... and shortly thereafter we emerged from the trees and began to climb into the views. We climbed slowly to North Baldface, taking in the views, snapping pictures, and breaking the next in Darl's string of camera's. Fortunately she had two.

We arrived at North Baldface and I immediately bee-lined for the cutest, fluffy dog hanging out by the sign. The dog's owner looked at us and asked "You came from North and you're going South?" Yes, that was our plan, we replied. "No one goes from North to South". "Are you going over to Eastman?" Eastman? We were going the circle trail. "You should consider Eastman and Slippery Brook, don't go down the slabs, let's just say I four-wheel up the slabs" Hmmmm....so I got out my sandwich and my map.

The Stars Do Not Align
The first obvious thing was that we had missed 4 out of 5 stars. As it turned out the Bicknell trail had the largest population of stars. Oh well. We weren't exactly starved for views. I noted that the contours on the south peak did appear to be a little steeper than those on the north as well. Did people say North to South or South to North? I also located Eastman and the Slippery Brook Trail. Rebecca and UFC had done this before though, no worries they said.

Departing for Points South
As we headed off North Baldface, we met a group of the Canadians. "Practicing your footing for the sketchy decent off the Southside one asked" I start envisioning what slab I would need to crab-crawl up would look like and starting conjuring up images of what lie ahead.... Worst case scenario however, there was a bail available should the need arise. Slippery Brook would save me.

Absolutely Slab-ulous
The views continued and did not disappoint. We had a fairly easy cross to South compared with the ascent after we emerged from the trees to the North Summit. It went by whine-free. We lounged there for a while until the sun when behind a little haze. From the peak the decent did not look too imposing. I could see Eastman, but we were going down the slabs. We decended and crossed the flat section. As the slabs approached it became obvious I was not about to down climb slidingboard or anything similar. It was a slab to ledge, slab to ledge and perfectly within our capabilities, especially given the dry conditions.

We Meet Again
As we were coming out in reverse the sign-in sheet at the South Junction was our sign-out sheet. We took this opportunity to count the number and 95 and 1 dog had registered for the day. We however saw at least 5 dogs, so this was not exact, but probably close.

When we passed between the peaks we encountered several groups from the tour bus, but one guy in particular had a cool T-Shirt that perplexed us. It became a topic of conversation as we went along and tried to decipher it. As we emerged from the woods we noted it was "him again". So we asked what it meant. He could not tell us either, but he thought it was cool too. The T-Shirt was from Iceland and he was from Belguim, he couldn't read it either. We spent a little time talking to the four of them. Turns out they were quite cool. Up for the long week-end and headed for Jefferson the next day. They visit VFTT and have done a fair amount of hiking. Maybe soon they will be some of our newest members.

Given dry condition I believe I would choose North to South again via the ledges (Bicknell perhaps?). Its more knee friendly I believe. Given wet conditions I think I would try to figure out exactly how slippery, slippery brook is, or go South to North. If you don't like slab, you will find it easier to ascend, absolutely go South to North.

Pictures Shortly, as soon as I get to a high speed wireless connection....

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/567976007GbvuWs

Last edited:
Hey now. Just to be clear...much of my initial whining had to do with my confusion over how long it was taking to get to the first exposed areas:p. I had thought that I'd taken the circle trail the first time I did the BFs and didn't remember so much time in the woods. Once we got above the trees, it was apparent that my first go round began on Bicknell Ridge (home of four stars!).

I think north to south is the way to go...and was particularly nice on this day as the sun was lower and the colors more dramatic on our trip down. But eventually I'll try it the other way to be sure. Wouldn't want to go up or down the slabs when wet:eek:.

Awesome day, and I'm really glad Jen and Darlene were on board with my lounging program.:D:D

Here are my pics: baldfaces

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I guess I could feature going down the slabs on a good day like this past weekend. But I really find going up that stuff more enjoyable.

I did see other people coming up from the north, including a family with small kids, but I assumed for the most part that they were doing and up-and-back, avoiding the slabs altogether. The group I talked to seemed especially confused and unhappy though.

Great report Nif!!! It seems like complaining is the theme for Sunday. I just didn't have anyone to listen to me.

Baldface loop the "other" way...

Thanks Jen for writing the TR. We had a great day with beautifull colors...we'll have to go back to hit the rest of those stars...we had maps in our packs.

I agree, the loop we did was lots of fun and the slabs were my favorite part. Glad we saved them for last, plus everyone had already travelled through and we were pretty much all alone going down them.

The colors were spectacular, and weather was perfect. A little whining going up, but after we all had a couple naps we were fine. Good friends & a great hike! :p

Thanks everyone for making my Grandson Taylor, comfortible and he had a ball collecting firewood for us back at Barnes. He's ready for another camping trip! :D

Pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/BaldfaceLoop#

Reactions: arm
Darlene, your grandson was so cute. When I was his age I was very shy around adults, but not that Taylor. He talked me up the whole way back to the campground...I was grateful for the distraction as you showed off your driving skills on Hurricane Mtn Road!:eek::eek: And I think we all agree that he should be at Barnes more often onaccounta his firewood foraging skills!

You know what? One time...

Super-slab-a-frag-a-ahh, you know the rest

Glad you guys had a great day to enjoy this hike. Definitely one of our favorites. Doesn't matter which way you go 'less it's rainin'. :) We went up n' down those slabs at least 3 times when we camped at the shelter last month. Great pics everyone!

KDT

Darlene, your grandson was so cute. When I was his age I was very shy around adults, but not that Taylor. He talked me up the whole way back to the campground...I was grateful for the distraction as you showed off your driving skills on Hurricane Mtn Road!:eek::eek: And I think we all agree that he should be at Barnes more often onaccounta his firewood foraging skills!

You know what? One time...

KInd of like having your own story teller around the fire.....he's not afraid or shy. Taylor may have a little of me in him..hmmm

I also wanted to mention that we had a few new faces around Barnes this weekend.....Jeff & his friend(whom I can't spell his name)??, Davesunra finally made a showing, and Dr Wu's special guest..Forestgnome, who had some great Moose sighting stories..can't wait to see his newest pics!

Plenty of diversity in personalities and stories and the fire wasn't bad either...we did have UFC around! Dr D, Barbarosa(Eric), Adventurous(Kim), Rob, Ashley & Glen, Swamp (weiny man), Juniper, UFC(Steve), Mookie (Scott), Arm(Arm), Darl58(Darl), Nif(Jen), Dr Wu(Frank) were all around the fire at one time or other.

A little excitement when Rob, Ashley, & son Glen arrived at Barnes on a flatbed trailer. Traffic jam at Barnes!

I solo hiked Moriah up Carter-Moriah trail on Sat and took my time taking pics and just enjoying the hike. Made it down to my car to open a car spot for Arm who showed up for the same hike at 4:00.

Another fun hike and weekend with friends!!

That's a rockin loop!:D

I did that loop with Youngblood and Juniper earlier this summer during Bearly Live for the first time and we talked about doing it this fall with all of the gorgeous views - it surely was not a disappointment this past weekend.

Jen, you did a great job writing this up - Darl & Rebecca, your pictures are great!

I can't wait to hit that loop this winter when it's covered with snow and ice - anyone up for an overnight maybe?

Wish we were at the Baldfaces instead of in town getting the car fixed.But you can't beat Byrne's in Gorham, they had a mechanic on duty who had me fixed up in time to hit Jefferson with the family in the afternoon.
Really sucked when the car crapped out on Pinkham B road after hiking Waumbek on Saturday.
We had a great time hangin' out with everybody both nights, although late night Saturday is a bit of a blur!

Yeah, the 'Faces are really something in the views department, aren't they? And you had such a day for it!!!

Loved the photos, too. All that color. And you even kept that Caveman in line, wow!

I'm surprised that so many people told you it was crazy to go down South Baldface. Hell, even I can do that! Just don't do it in the rain. And- sure, that dog was cute, but I've seen cuter!:D Judy

And- sure, that dog was cute, but I've seen cuter!:D Judy

Emma's a special dog...not just any ole hiking dog! She has personality plus! I still think of her smiling on Shelburne-Moriah standing on the rocks looking outwards at the views!! :rolleyes:

The Slabs were just way too much fun. Yes, we kept UFC under controll...he had three of us women to contend with, didn't stand a chance..don't care how much wood he brings to the fire! :D