Baxter in September. Interested?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
As I posted in another thread, I will be hiking the hundred mile wilderness in Maine on the AT from Monson to Katahdin this September. I have gotten 1 or 2 interested partners who hope to join me. We (at least I) plan to spend 3 or 4 extra days in Baxter State Park after finishing the AT section to do some peak bagging.

The peaks that I'm interested in are:
NE 4k: Baxter, Hamlin, No. Brother
NE HH: Coe, So. Brother, Fort
NE FF: Doubletop, Traveler

Very shortly (as in days), I will send in reservation requests to BSP for a group. As of now I see this as 2 nights at Chimney Pond followed by 2 nights at Nesowodnehunk. Likely schedule:

Day 0: get to BSP, meet somewhere, hike in to Chimney Pond.
Night 1: Stay at Chimney Pond

Day 1: group can split with one possibility Pamola-Knife Edge-Baxter and another Hamlin-North Peaks (my choice). If you are very strong you might do both.
Night 2: Stay at Chimney Pond

Day 2: hike down early to road. Then for the day one possibility is South Turner and East Turner, the other Doubletop (my choice). No, you can't do both!
Night 3: stay at Nesowodnehunk

Day 3: Brothers range: Coe, So. Bro., No. Bro., Fort. Or do it the other way. The very strong and fast could add OJI.
Night 4: stay at Nesowodnehunk

Day 4: The Traveler (my choice) or something you like. Leave the park and thence home. Maybe crash in someplace cheap between the Park and Bangor if it is very late.

The choice of dates will depend on availability. I will try to get some of the schedule to be on the weekend of Sept. 11 & 12th but that is not guaranteed. I will reserve for a party of 4 (which fills a lean-to at Chimney) unless I absolutely know we have more definites. I will ask for money after the reservation is accepted.

Please respond here for comments, questions and suggestions on the schedule, and PM me if you want to commit or have any special questions or issues. If the numbers get too great, I will split the group ask one of you to take over for part of the group since I don't want to worry about too large a group.

Pb

Last edited:
re: Baxter in September

Hi Papabear, I'm very interested and I can't think of a better place to be in Sept. I've been up there a few times but there are still lots of places I'd love to go in the park. I'd gladly repeat any of the hikes I've done before - Katahdin(Baxter and Hamlin Peaks),N. Brother, Sentinel, S. Turner. If staying at Chimney Pond I don't think I could pass up doing the Knife's Edge to Baxter if the weather's good. I'm still debating about how much I want to commit to the 100 highest but here's a list of Baxter peaks I'm interested in.......

1. Doubletop
2. The Owl
3. Mt. Coe
4. S. Brother
5. Fort Mt.
6. Traveler
7. Katahdin

If I had time I'd also like to stay in the North part of the park for a bit, maybe do some paddling and some "lesser peaks" like Trout Brook Mt. and Horse Mt., also do some moose watching and chill out by some of the ponds. Horse Mt. has a fire tower listed on my maps. I wonder what the view is like from it? I'll keep in touch thru the year and hopefully my schedule will allow me to take off in Sept. If I can't hike the 100 mile wilderness maybe I could meet you at Baxter but would like to do both. Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred

I sent in the forms yesterday. We'll see what comes back.

There should be plenty of options to customize the hiking to suit everyone's needs, within reason. The only one on your list not on mine is The Owl. I'm also toying with Roy's suggestion to add North Traveler to the Traveler hike.

Pb

Traveler sounds great, Papabear. I've always wanted to climb/bushwack its different peaks but never had a companion willing to do it with me.