Be a Harvard Cabin Caretaker on Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
Caretaker Opening, The Harvard Mountaineering Club is seeking applicants to serve as caretakers for the Harvard Cabin on Mt. Washington from December 22 through February 2. Shifts can be as short as a weekend or as long as two weeks at a time, depending upon availability.

Responsibilities include collecting user fees and managing the cabin, posting avalanche data provided by the USFS and AMC, and being available to assist the USFS by carrying a radio at all times. Benefits include legendary New England ice climbing and skiing in your backyard.

To apply, please send a brief letter describing related outdoor experience, safety or first aid training, and climbing experience to [email protected] ASAP. Please include your contact information (phone, email, permanent address) and dates available for the position.

If you cannot send email, please send your letter to The Harvard Mountaineering Club, 1st Floor University Hall #73, Cambridge, MA 02138.

Did anyone see the survival story on Mount Washington on the history channel Monday night. It got me all pumped up for Washington this January.
Sorry to jump in like that, But the Harvard cabin is where the two boys stayed when the event happened-just popped into my head.

I saw that story. Seems there's always the "mistake in judgement" that results in these stories. NO Compass...I couldn't believe it. A sadly learned lesson.

two comments-

1- Hugh Herr wrote a great book about this tragedy along with Alison Osious(sp?) named "Second Ascent" (thanks JFB)Very good reading, highly recommended.

2- Is the cabin open yet/is it going to be open on the 22nd/did they find a caretaker yet?
I'd like to go there next week.

Last edited: