Big Slide via The Brothers on 4/30/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 04/30/2011

Trail Conditions: I led the hike to Big Slide via The Brothers from Garden Parking Lot in Keene. From the trailhead to up to approx. 3000 ft elevation, snow is almost all gone and I had pleasant hike. Via The Brothers, there are multiple ledges and minor rock scrambling. One hiker in my group had 14 yrs old dog and they gave up to hike in after struggling hike about 2 hours.
If you bring older age dog here, please just be careful....for your dog's safety.
I expected the trail would be very muddy, but, it's actually relatively dried after having a LOT of rain for a week in this area. Around 3200 ft elevation, I started to make a LOT of postholing, sometimes holes depth was my knees level. The trail is very slushy and I put on Microspikes to hold my foot in specific location w/o sliding. The last 0.29 miles spur trail from the last Trail Junction to go up to the summit of Big Slide, the trail is much more steep and much more slushy. Again, Microspikes helped me a lot.

Special Equipment Required: Microspikes. I met about 20 hikers on the trail on 4/30. Only less than 5 people wore snowshoes. The rest of people didn't have Snowshoes.

Happy Trails,
Tomoko :cool: