Bigelow and Abraham fire towers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Are their days numbered? I saw on the Maine Fire Lookouts Page this statement:
Planned 2010 Tower Removals
Bigelow Mountain tower is being recommended for removal by the Maine State DOC
Mount Abraham tower is being recommended for removal by the Maine State DOC

Despite my best Google-fu, I was unable to find any additional information online.

The Mt Abraham tower is best described as the Mt Abraham tower debris as the only thing left for several years has been the roof of the cab, which has been fashioned into a refuge hut. Given 360 views from a treeless summit, it wasnt really needed anyhow. The tower on Avery summit on Bigelow has been inaccessible (locked) and used for a repeater site for as long as I have hiked it. It too is also a 360 view from a treeless summit, so beyond the historical aspect, it doesnt add a lot to the summit.

IMHO I tend to support leaving a tower if it allows a view from a summit with trees (Carrigan) but dont really support leaving it there if its an open summit and not open to the public.

A couple pictures....

Avery Tower

Mt. Abraham's tower was only the frame when I was there in '06.

It was still pretty sturdy so, of course, I climbed it for the photo op. :)

I agree that neither summit looses much, if anything, with the towers coming down. I also say keep the towers on otherwise view-less summits (Carrigain.)

However, the Avery tower did prove very helpful at blocking the fierce, cold, October wind when I was up there. Sitting in the lee, it was quite comfortable while outside of it was super cold. Maybe they could leave the foundation for that sole purpose? A la Mt. Garfield...

Last edited:
Generally, I agree that if the structure looks like Abraham, it's usefulness is limited, and it could come down.

Avery's foundation could still be useful.

In the Catskills, 5 towers have been preserved. 4 of them provide views that would otherwise not be there.

However, the Avery tower did prove very helpful at blocking the fierce, cold, October wind when I was up there. Sitting in the lee, it was quite comfortable while outside of it was super cold. Maybe they could leave the foundation for that sole purpose? A la Mt. Garfield...

They make these things called "jackets"; the ones made out of tight-woven nylon with a polyurethane interior coating are remarkably effective at blocking wind.

;)

They make these things called "jackets"; the ones made out of tight-woven nylon with a polyurethane interior coating are remarkably effective at blocking wind.

;)

I think you and I both know that, regardless if you're wearing these "jacket" things you refer to, or another new invention called, "pants." It is still nice to get out of the wind. ;)

These 2 lookouts have been slated to be removed for a number of years now, but it usually becomes the lower priority as it can cost some significant $$ for a proper removal.

The Maine Department of Parks and Lands master plans for these areas also documents the recommendation to remove them. The usual reasons - safety, eyesore, etc. In the case of Bigelow, sensitive vegetation is also cited as a reason to remove.

For Abraham, the lookout cab has been gone for many years and is now a lonely reminder of the mountains fire detection past. Bigelow is in much better shape as it is intact and could be restored to a functional attraction. It also has a few historic elements to it - it's a 1905 tower site, which is among the earliest in Maine, and it is the last of 3 groundhouse lookouts left in Maine.

Bill