calling 911 from a cell phone ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Adirondacks, I would still recommend calling the DEC dispatch number directly, which has 24 hour staffing. It is: 518-891-0235. Most 911 calls about backcountry emergencies will be routed to that number, so might as well call there directly and talk to someone who might actually know where you are or be able to connect you to someone who would know your location and what the local conditions might be. Otherwise, the advice in previous posts about being able to provide the responders with good GPS or map data applies.
In one example of mis-communication, an older man fell and injured his foot quite badly while descending Phelps Mt. Soon, a couple came up the trail and determined that, while he was in otherwise good condition, he couldn't travel because of his injury. There was no cell service there, so the couple continued to the summit and called 911. The call was picked up by a tower in Vermont. Vermont 911 called Vermont State Police, who called NYS Police in Plattsburgh, who called NYS Police in Ray Brook, who called the number above, who then called the Marcy Dam caretaker. By the time all these relays had taken place, the caretaker thought he was responding to an "unconscious 70-year-old on the summit of Phelps" with the result that he went right past the actual injured party, thinking the greater emergency was on the summit. It all ended well, but knowing the number of the local agency responsible for responding to backcountry emergencies can be helpful.

This is probably a very unlikely scenario, but it did happen once. I know the person it happened to. The story would be better if I could name names, but I don't know that I should do that without permission and don't have time to call for it.

My acquaintance called to the local emergency phone number to report a fire in a gas station near her home. The call was received by a regional dispatcher in a neighboring town who didn't have complete area knowledge and didn't know that she was confused. The dispatcher took the caller's name and "information" and sounded the alarm.

Unfortunately, the caller's name, very coincidentally, sounded exactly like the name of the neighboring town, and that is where the alert was sent. Needless to say, there was a slight delay in getting the fire extinguished! :eek:

Last edited:
Just as my family and I approached the MA/NY border tolls on the Pike, we saw an oncoming car blow out a front tire and then cartwheel, sending debris up the median right at us (it was kinda disturbing).

My hunch is the occupants of the cartwheeling vehicle weren't too thrilled either... ;)

Back on point - while a text msg will sometimes be sent when the signal is too weak for a call, don't assume the msg was actually sent. Even in strong signal areas, my phone doesn't always send the msg, so to be sure I check the Outbox. If there's nothing there, I have some assurance it was actually send.

times be sent when the signal is too weak for a call, don't assume the msg was actually sent. Even in strong signal areas, my phone doesn't always send the msg, so to be sure I check the Outbox. If there's nothing there, I have some assurance it was actually send.

Actually, this doesn't guarantee anything either. Txt messages are 160 characters because they use a sub channel of cell towers (I think its called the D Channel, but don't quote me on that) that was originally designed for the towers to talk to each other. Most times, these channels are open, so there is no issue. But in cases of emergencies, towers quickly get maxed out, and this channel gets active.

SMS (txt message protocol) doesn't have any kind of confirmation. So, its entirely possible that you send a txt correctly and its ignored by a tower because its using all its allocated bandwidth for talking to other towers. Still, most of the time, it DOES go through.

Thanks for the clarification, Chomp. Perhaps in an emergency it wouldn't hurt to wait a few minutes, and then re-send the SOS msg, just in case.

My hunch is the occupants of the cartwheeling vehicle weren't too thrilled either... ;)

If they made it at all, I'm sure they were thrilled just to survive. It was the most violent wreck I ever saw. In truth, I don't think it's likely.

I appreciate the note about resending a text to increase likelihood of success.

So I'm looking at the latest issue of Outside that I just got in the mail and there is a "What's Your Survival IQ Quiz" that is kind of interesting. Anyway, one of the questions and answer provided immediately reminded me of this thread. From page 85:

"You're lost in the wilderness and your phone intermittently gets one bar of service. How do you call for help?

A) Call 911
B) Text 911
C) Call a friend and tell him to call 911
D) Text friends and tell them to call 911"

"Answer: D. Text your friends - all of them, if possible. Texting uses less power than a call and requires only a flicker of service, likely all you'll get, even if you climb a ridge. Note: Most 911 dispatches can't receive text messages."

Thought this was pretty interesting. It's hard to argue with the logic, although I don't know if I agree about the reliability of texting. I texted my wife recently from the mountains (not an emergency thing) and she didn't receive it until a day and a half later. Anyway, this goes back to one of the original questions posted in the OP of the thread.

Last edited:
Texting doesn't always go through quickly. And isn't always read as you hope it will be.

Last summer I texted my son for the first time ever. In my text message, I had asked him to "tell all" about the message. I was expecting a text response back. But, instead, the next day I received a voice message from him. He said he was "...mpressed you know how to text..." Oh, yah, and he didn't let anyone know we were safely off the mountain.

So I'm looking at the latest issue of Outside that I just got in the mail and there is a "What's Your Survival IQ Quiz" that is kind of interesting. Anyway, one of the questions and answer provided immediately reminded me of this thread. From page 85:

"You're lost in the wilderness and your phone intermittently gets one bar of service. How do you call for help?

A) Call 911
B) Text 911

"Answer: D. Text your friends - all of them, if possible. Texting uses less power than a call and requires only a flicker of service, likely all you'll get, even if you climb a ridge. Note: Most 911 dispatches can't receive text messages."

Thought this was pretty interesting. It's hard to argue with the logic, although I don't know if I agree about the reliability of texting. I texted my wife recently from the mountains (not an emergency thing) and she didn't receive it until a day and a half later. Anyway, this goes back to one of the original questions posted in the OP of the thread.

911 should be able to receive text messages, I guess. I would never assume my cell was going to work, anyway. It would just be more convenient if it did. I don't think I'd be able to figure out HOW to text in an emergency, anyway. Perhaps I should practice. Can you set up a list to text a single message to multiple recipients ?

:) How would that text look ? "OMG, UFB, IDk WAWA. GGOH. trail 2m2h. need 411, call 911, TYVM"

911 should be able to receive text messages, I guess.

There is currently no 911 center in the country that can receive text messages. I could go into a long technical explanation about why, but I can simplify it down to 2 items:

1) Most call centers are wired only to deal with audio (and TTY). There is a huge investment in some of the equipment, and it simply can't handle anything new.

2) There is a significant real-word hurdle with handling a text message. How do you know where the caller is? (you only get 160 characters - no x/y). How do you have a conversation with the caller? How long to do you keep a 911 call taker waiting for a return message? How do you pass along the "conversation" to another call taker if you get a second message 30 minutes later?

This isn't to say that these conversations are not happening. If you are really curious, you can Google "Next Generation 911" and read all about it. The basic idea is to transform 9-1-1 call centers into high-tech networks, where EVERYTHING is IP based. You'll be able to send text, photos, video, etc.. Your OnStar will be able to send accident data directly to a PSAP.

But for now, text your friends. :)

911 should be able to receive text messages, I guess. I would never assume my cell was going to work, anyway. It would just be more convenient if it did. I don't think I'd be able to figure out HOW to text in an emergency, anyway. Perhaps I should practice. Can you set up a list to text a single message to multiple recipients ?

:) How would that text look ? "OMG, UFB, IDk WAWA. GGOH. trail 2m2h. need 411, call 911, TYVM"

Yeah, I hate the fact that I've been forced to become semi-competent in the usage of a cell phone (work thing). Anyway, setting up a list to multiple recipients for a text is pretty easy once you have an address book. Ugh.

So back on point, NH's system as described by chomp inspires great confidence. The state has obviously put all that money they've collected from negligent hikers to good use. :) Other places, who knows what you are going to get? In NY, 911 has always basically been handled on the county level whether it be by the Sheriff's or the State Police or a collaborative effort. A lot of times, the equipment in place comes down to money. Not every county is going to upgrade every time a new capability or software appears.

A) Call 911
B) Text 911

Hmmm

A- Maybe - Do you pray that your phone is GPS enabled and it manages to work well enough to convey useful information?
B- Impossible as per Chomp - but maybe someday...
C- Given that you are 'lost', what do you tell them?
D- See "C"

So, I would cycle through A, C, D

FWIW, I had a one-bar signal strength when I called in from my accident scene. Got a 1.5 hour solid connection.

I don't know if the cellphone system allocates more resources (eg more transmit power) toward 911 calls. It would make sense if they do.

Doug

If you are in an area where signal strength is weak, one method that can improve your chances of make and keeping a connection is to put your phone on Speakerphone mode and hold the phone by the end that usually goes to your ear.

Out of concern for possible brain tumors, most cell phones have moved the antenna to the bottom of the phone - usually directly behind the microphone. A lot of phones today have this weird bulky bottom - especially flip phones.

Anyway, during normal operation, you are holding that part of the phone, thereby covering up a good portion of the antenna. If you put the phone on speaker and flip it around, you can hold the antenna in the air, unobstructed by your hand. This method works surprisingly well - especially in the mountains.

If you are in an area where signal strength is weak, one method that can improve your chances of make and keeping a connection is to put your phone on Speakerphone mode and hold the phone by the end that usually goes to your ear.

Out of concern for possible brain tumors, most cell phones have moved the antenna to the bottom of the phone - usually directly behind the microphone. A lot of phones today have this weird bulky bottom - especially flip phones.

Anyway, during normal operation, you are holding that part of the phone, thereby covering up a good portion of the antenna. If you put the phone on speaker and flip it around, you can hold the antenna in the air, unobstructed by your hand. This method works surprisingly well - especially in the mountains.
A good suggestion... Flesh does absorb cellphone signals. One could also use an external mic/earpiece to keep the antenna in the clear.

I just took my cellphone (a non-flip design) and tried holding it by the top or bottom (out in front of me so I could see the display) and got a fairly reliable 1-bar signal increase when I held it by the top. (You can try this at home to learn what works best for you--just try several locations and orientations.)

So even if you don't have a speaker, you can hold the phone by the top (with your wrist away from the phone) when using it--a bit awkward, but if it maintains a weak connection...

BTW, using the speaker will increase the battery drain, so if battery life is an issue, it may be preferable to avoid using it. (A wired external mic/earpiece should not increase the battery drain, but a wireless mic/earpiece will.)

Doug

response

As someone who has been the recent recipient of a lengthy and difficult rescue from a traumatic injury, I'd like to add my observations.

1. Most cell phones have some sort of super-power mode when dialing 911. This was our experience and has been confirmed by numerous SAR leaders, EMTs, a hospital and F&G officers I spoke with. Dial 911 even if you have no signal strength bars.

2a. Conserve cell phone strength. I'm not big on using speaker phone or leaving a phone on in a no-signal area. Good way to burn up the battery fast. Our team was requested to call back every 15 minutes with vitals an situation update.

2. I would much rather be on a voice call giving details than texting. That way, 911 operators get the info they want, not what you think they want. It gives them time to clarify. While I recognize texting may be more efficient and electronically effective, not everyone is adept at texting nor communicating well when in a crisis situation. I don't buy the texting friends strategy from Outside Magazine. Maybe in a non-urgent, non-critical matter, but never in a life-threatening situation like I experienced. I'd much rather press a simple three digits and talk.

3. A NH F&G officer indicated to me that in the mountains, the cell phone triangulation method of locating (so-called "GPS") is often erroneous. He indicated that he would absolutely not rely on it.

4. In our case, 911 collected our cell phone coordinates, our trail information, our nearest road information and also asked if we had a GPS (yes) and took those coordinates. In the final analysis, the GPS coordinates taken from the Garmin were the items most heavily relied on, even though we were on a designated trail.

5. While we were in Maine, the call went to NH, but it was quickly transferred. However, once they recognized that the best access was via NH, both NH F&G and Maine Warden Service were engaged, and SAR teams were launched from both states. The response was seamlessly coordinated among nine separate responding organizations.

6. Interestingly, the first responders were volunteer FD and rescue from Berlin NH. They are a hardy bunch of hikers and hunters. The closest SAR teams, all of whom were volunteers arrived about an hour later from far-away locales. The downside was that Rescue's maps did not indicate hiking trailheads, and the access road is over 15 miles long. So, Rescue asked us to send someone down to meet them at the trailhead. Even with all the coordinates and directions, they took no chances.

Last edited:
2a. Conserve cell phone strength. I'm not big on using speaker phone or leaving a phone on in a no-signal area. Good way to burn up the battery fast. Our team was requested to call back every 15 minutes with vitals an situation update.
In my case, the 911 operator asked me to stay on the line until the evac crew arrived--turned out to be ~1.5hr. My batteries held out, but if you are in a situation where you think it might be a problem, you should suggest the above strategy to the operator.

I should also note that constant minding the phone got in the way--I needed my hands for maintaining my situation on scene. (I had a helper--if I were alone, minding the phone would have been a serious problem.)

2. I would much rather be on a voice call giving details than texting. That way, 911 operators get the info they want, not what you think they want. It gives them time to clarify. While I recognize texting may be more efficient and electronically effective, not everyone is adept at texting nor communicating well when in a crisis situation. I don't buy the texting friends strategy from Outside Magazine. Maybe in a non-urgent, non-critical matter, but never in a life-threatening situation like I experienced. I'd much rather press a simple three digits and talk.
There have been scientific studies of problem solving using various combinations of voice, text, and visual communication. The single most important factor in achieving success is the use of voice. So use voice, if you possibly can. (Besides, pressing small buttons with gloves/mittens in the cold doesn't work very well.)

3. A NH F&G officer indicated to me that in the mountains, the cell phone triangulation method of locating (so-called "GPS") is often erroneous. He indicated that he would absolutely not rely on it.
Whatever people call it (one correct name is trilateralization from cell towers), one should not confuse it with real GPS (from the NAVSTAR satellites). Real GPS will almost always be accurate enough to get you within sight or sound distance, trilateralization from cell towers is, as noted above, often less accurate. (I found one reference of unknown accuracy stating the accuracy was ~1500 ft, but it probably depends on which protocol your phone uses.) Some cell phones have built-in real GPSes (but the cellphone systems don't always use them... :( )

4. In our case, 911 collected our cell phone coordinates, our trail information, our nearest road information and also asked if we had a GPS (yes) and took those coordinates. In the final analysis, the GPS coordinates taken from the Garmin were the items most heavily relied on, even though we were on a designated trail.
In my case they used the trail directions (I'm near the height-of-land on xx trail--just follow it until you run over me...). Doesn't matter which method they use as long as it enables them to get to you without undue difficulty or delay. (FWIW, my 911 operator didn't know what a datum was so she was not fully versed on the use of GPS coordinates. I simply asked her to pass the datum along with the coordinates--the evac team should know how to use the info.)

Doug

Last edited: