Carrigain, More BIG Changes on Signal Ridge Trail, 9/8/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
September 8, 2012: Carrigain

Trails: Sawyer River Road, Signal Ridge Trail

Summits: Carrigain

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

After a couple weeks of hiking in Western Maine we’re back on the grid in New Hampshire. I’ve heard others comment the big negative to hiking The Grid is the repetition. If you plan to hike a list in each month of the year there will be repetition. Our September list is pretty short and we decided to hike Carrigain, (for the sixth time this year). The forecast for the day wasn’t terrible but wet weather was expected late in the day. We wanted to get the hike in before the conditions went bad, which meant an early start.

We arrived to the trailhead lot at the end of Sawyer River Road with only two other vehicles already there. While taking care of our final hike prep several other vehicles arrived. Part of the growing crowd was the FOT48 crew for Carrigain. Sue and I grabbed our things and started the two-mile warm-up on Sawyer River Road, which remains closed from Tropical Storm Irene damage.

As we reached the trailhead on Sawyer River Road there were a couple hikers waiting there for the others in their group. They were part of the FOT48 gang and had a head start by foot, the others pulled in with the flag poles, etc. on bikes. After a few friendly comments back and forth we started out the new section of relocated trail that replaced the first ~.2 miles of the old route. The only change we noticed on this section compared to our last visit to the area (8/4/2012) is blazes; the trail section has fresh blazes.

We reached the old route and kept going. Roughly half-way to the Signal Ridge-Carrigain Notch trails junction there is a section of trail that follows close to the side of Whiteface Brook. There is a lot of mud along this section and a couple dangerous places. In one area, a short section was heavily eroded during Irene leaving a narrow pathway with a drop-off to the stream. Another problem area is a section of ledge that becomes ice-covered in winter and losing your footing will most likely end in the stream below. This section of trail has been closed and relocated roughly forty yards away from the stream. The new segment starts with a couple switchbacks to climb the slope and then parallels the old route higher. Eventually it re-joins the old route. Soon we came to a location where there was a very large blow-down lying across the trail. It has been cut and removed from the trail.

A large section of erosion control was being built and roughly half completed on our last visit. It is now done and looks great. The remainder of the trail leading to the Signal Ridge – Carrigain Notch trails junction remains unchanged and in great shape.

The next big change we found was at the old Signal Ridge – Carrigain Notch trails junction. The section of Signal Ridge Trail leading to and crossing Carrigain brook from this point is closed and completely blocked by brush. The new route follows Carrigain Notch Trail to a point beyond the beaver bog where a new trail section crosses. The new route crosses Carrigain Brook further upstream. I have a feeling this new crossing location will be much more difficult than the old in spring conditions.

There is a section of switchbacks to climb a small rise near the end of the beaver bog. I’m not sure these are at all necessary. The trail could have easily been cut straight along this area without the direction reversals and avoid some of the added gain on the exit hike. Watch your step on this section. Many of the trees that were removed were cut flush to the ground but there are quite a few small ones that were cut several inches above ground level and will take you out if you’re not paying attention. Eventually this new section of trail rejoins the old for the climb.

Back on the old route we started the climb to Signal Ridge. There were no surprises along this section. Everything is clear all the way to the ridge. A short distance below the ridge we stopped for a short break and I commented to Sue we’ll need jackets on the ridge. The NWS predicted high, gusty winds on the summits (sustained to upper 30’s mph and gusts to mid-40’s mph) and we were starting to feel it. We reached the ridge, stopped for another layer, and started looking for a flag.

We had overcast conditions from the start and the clouds were flying past. Much of the cloud cover was bottoming out at ~3500 – 4000 feet and the summit of Carrigain was in and out of the cloud layer. An opening came through and there it was. Nice! When we met the FOT48 crew the poles seemed to suggest the flag would be well above the tower. When we saw it from Signal Ridge it appeared lower than expected. The wind was really giving it a ride. We got a few pictures from the area of Signal Ridge and continued on to the summit tower.

As we were approaching the final short pitch to the tower even I could hear the flag whipping in the wind. The dense growth provides a lot of protection from the wind and we were enjoying that protection on the final climb. We reached the summit, got a few pictures from ground-level, and climbed the tower. As we made our way up to the observation deck the wind became stronger. By the time we reached the deck we were working with hold-onto-your-hats wind speed. In a position to take a close look at the flag assembly it was easy to see the crew probably did some scrambling in the process of erecting the flag-flagpole assembly. The bottom of the flagpole section was bent (I’m guessing wind damage from an early attempt), a hiking pole was lashed to it (added strength I assume), it was lashed securely to the tower structure, and multiple support lines went from the pole (above and below the flag) to the tower structure (help fight the force of the wind). Well done folks! It looked great!

We enjoyed the wind for a while, got a few tower pictures, there were no distance views to enjoy, and soon we were back at ground level. Others arrived while we were there; one guy was registering his #48 of 48 on Carrigain – nice way to finish. Sue and I made the u-turn and headed back out the way we hiked in. Along the way we met a number of others on their climb; a group of ~eight, a single hiker with a pair of bulldogs that did not appear to be enjoying the day, and later another couple looking for the guy with the dogs.

In the final mile to Sawyer River Road we became aware of a light sprinkle of rain had started. The cover generally protected us from it. Between the first and second sections of relocated trail we passed a large group that had setup camp along Whiteface Brook. If the weather predictions for overnight rainfall amounts from the National Weather Service were correct, this group might regret their choice of camp sites – the water was sure to rise. We hit the road, made the left, and did the two miles back to our waiting truck. Along the way the rain picked up for a while, we got a little wet but with a high-humidity day we were already a little wet. Our time back to the truck was roughly an hour earlier than planned. The day went well.

At the trailhead we changed into traveling footwear and took off. By the time we reached The Highland Center the sky opened up and the rain really came down. That early completion time helped, a lot. As usual, we made a quick change at The Highland Center and hit the road south for home.

Signal Ridge Trail has received a lot of change this year; I hope it proves to be an improvement. Time will tell. My first impression is a couple details should have received a little more thought. Overall – good job.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Last edited:
The section of Signal Ridge Trail leading to and crossing Carrigain brook from this point is closed and completely blocked by brush. The new route follows Carrigain Notch Trail to a point beyond the beaver bog where a new trail section crosses. The new route crosses Carrigain Brook further upstream. I have a feeling this new crossing location will be much more difficult than the old in spring conditions.
Signal Ridge Trail has received a lot of change this year; I hope it proves to be an improvement. Time will tell. My first impression is a couple details should have received a little more thought. Overall – good job.
I rarely use the first mile of SRT preferring the Carrigain Brook Road, maybe the new trail work will make it better

I thought the CNT brook crossing was easier than SRT, a couple times I've done that and bushwhacked back - and with one crossing maybe they will improve it if it doesn't work

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

I rarely use the first mile of SRT preferring the Carrigain Brook Road, maybe the new trail work will make it better

I thought the CNT brook crossing was easier than SRT, a couple times I've done that and bushwhacked back - and with one crossing maybe they will improve it if it doesn't work
Roy,

I think we’ll have to wait and see.

This crossing is not as wide as the previous lower crossing. It appears to me this one might get a little violent in high water conditions. The lower crossing was wide. It would get deep but remain safe to wade through, as Sue and I did multiple times this year.

I don’t mind the getting wet part, if it can be done safely.

:)