Connecticut River - Wilder Dam to Cronish Landing 5/26-5/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
This past weekend a group of friends and I went on a kayak camping trip along the Connecticut River. After an early rise we all met up at the Wilder Dam parking lot (VT side) at 6 am and three of left to go spot the cars. We dropped one at Sumner Falls, since that would be the end of a day trip for two of us, and the other vehicle at Cronish Landing. Having the vehicle at the falls was nice as it allowed us to stash some of our gear and supplies, saving on weight. By 7:15 we were all on the water and began fishing our way down stream. Soon we passed under the US4 bridge and the mouth of the White River, then the Mascoma River and the I89 bridge. We took a short break on a sandy bank behind the plazas of West Lebanon before continuing on past True's Brook. A short distance after that we all met up on the sand bar on the south shore of Burnap's Island where we cooked up som Brats and enjoyed some cold pops. We had thought about camping at the sight on this island but it was not even half the distance to the finish so we figured we would continue on to Burnham Meadows. There were a few other people planning on camping there and they told us that last year on Memorial Day weekend it was hard for people to find a place to camp there. They obviously did not know about the 8 person limit that is supposed to be in effect for campers on the island.

While getting back in out boats one of us backed into the water and heard the other campers say "Hey you are sinking!" My freind replied, "No, I'm just fat." They then replied, "No, you are really sinking!!!" When he looked back he saw the back three feet of his kayak submerged! He had the hatch open to fit his cooler and the steep angle of the bank had put it below the surface of the water. After getting his kayak on shore, he was able to unload then dump out the water. Luckily dinner was still dry. Once situated we continued on, skipping fishing the Ottaqueechee and eventually making it to Sumner's Falls around 3 pm. We resupplied, picking up more ice, beer, and some camp chairs before saying good bye to two of our party. The portage was easy, on the VT side, although a bit muddy getting back in due to the low water. A little longer than two more hours and we were at Burnham Meadows. I was pleased to find no one else there. The site was very grassy, a prime location for ticks, and there was poison ivy sacttered about, but there were also many nice flowers and a large pile of fire wood. Two years ago it was almost a full time chore to scavange and cut wood. We set up out tents and unpacked. My favorite part about this site is it's location to the Harpoon Brewery. About 1/4 mile walk. Around 8pm we headed there for more beer and ice. We thought about having dinner but went back to our camp to eat the ribs, beans, and slaw that we had packed. Around 10:30 pm I called it a night and crawled into my tent.

I slept ok but one of my friends said he was up all night due to the two trains that went by, a critter roaming our camp, and he did not have a ground pad. I awoke at first light to relieve my bladder but after looking at my watch (4:30 am!) I went back to sleep for an hour until the next person woke up. All four of us were up by 6 am and by 7 a breakfast of eggs, potatoes, and pork belly was being served. After breakfast some of us broke down camp while others fished a little and by 9am we were all back on the water floating towards Cornish Landing. We got out of the water about an hour later and immediately sent two drivers to get the other vehicle while two of us began unpacking and readying the kayaks for transport. This was a very fun trip and although this section can be done in a day, kayak camping is so much fun! I am very looking forward to the next camping trip on a river. Maybe the Pemi next time. Total mileage was about 17. 15 day one and oly 2 for day two. Thank you UVLT for providing such awesome places to camp.