Cover For Kayaks On Highway For Better MPG

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Is there any such contraption that can be used to make a pair of kayaks on a roof rack more aerodynamic so the mile per gallon hit isn't so huge for long highway drives? When I have 2 kayaks on the roof and drive 70-75 mph on trips say up to Baxter my mpg goes down by 8-14 mpg from what I normally get, which is pretty massive.

I tried a few searches and I'm clearly not describing what I'm looking for the way others would. I'm imagining a sleeve of some sort that would slip over the noses of the kayaks so air flow is smoother across the roof. Or maybe some sort of spoiler type contraption for the hood which breaks up the air flow so it travels over the noses of the kayaks. I don't know (obviously). Curious if anyone on here has seen and/or uses such a thing or any other gas saving tips of note. Thanks in advance.

Does your rack have a regular fairing? If not, that should help keep air off the roof.
"Fairing"? I have a Thule rack for a CrossTrek. The factory cross beams do have a natural "scoop" shape (kind of like an airplane wing) which doesn't help I'm sure. Is that what you mean?

Kayak Travel Cover | Fits Kayaks 9' to 16' Long

Are they sit-in kayaks and if so do you have cockpit covers on them?

You could try slowing down.

2 kayaks (w/ cockpit covers) + roof box impacts our CX-5 ~4-5 mpg (15/20%) at highway speeds.
That cover is sort of what I meant but I imagined it covering the nose of both so air doesn't rush in between the two boats. Imagine a "wedge" of sorts.

Yes, they are recreational kayaks so they have a large cockpit. I've tried a few cockpit covers but I really didn't trust at all that they would stay on driving on the highway. I had issues with them popping off just hanging around camp. Can't seem to find one that is quite the correct dimensions. They all seem to fit a range of boats and my boat apparently isn't a good fit for the range.

Yes I could slow down but on a 7-8 hour trip going 20% slower is not really desirable either. And the way insane people weave in and around you when you're going below average I'd just assume keep pace and take the gas hit instead of being the victim of a road rage incident. :)

My CrossTrek gets pretty good MPG with no racks (34-38 mpg on the highway, a bit less in Winter). A fully loaded car with the 2 kayaks and all our camping gear inside has dropped me down as low as 20 mpg on some days. 24-26 mpg is more typical.

I also use a cockpit cover - it keeps the cockpit opening from acting like a giant air scoop. And I try to keep the speed at 55.

TomK
I guess I'll have to try another attempt at finding a suitable cover I can trust to stay on the car at highway speeds. Having a huge piece of canvas flailing around on top of the car probably won't help me out much either.

That cover is sort of what I meant but I imagined it covering the nose of both so air doesn't rush in between the two boats. Imagine a "wedge" of sorts.

Yes, they are recreational kayaks so they have a large cockpit. I've tried a few cockpit covers but I really didn't trust at all that they would stay on driving on the highway. I had issues with them popping off just hanging around camp. Can't seem to find one that is quite the correct dimensions. They all seem to fit a range of boats and my boat apparently isn't a good fit for the range.

Yes I could slow down but on a 7-8 hour trip going 20% slower is not really desirable either. And the way insane people weave in and around you when you're going below average I'd just assume keep pace and take the gas hit instead of being the victim of a road rage incident. :)

My CrossTrek gets pretty good MPG with no racks (34-38 mpg on the highway, a bit less in Winter). A fully loaded car with the 2 kayaks and all our camping gear inside has dropped me down as low as 20 mpg on some days. 24-26 mpg is more typical.
take a look at Seals, they have pretty comprehensive sizing and tethers to help secure them. Seals Sprayskirts - Cockpit Seal

Do to the nature of the shape and size of what your carrying IMO it is going to be hard to have any significant impact on the air drag of your configuration. Looks as if your not far off from expected parameters. Just be glad you donot need to transport an inflatable unicorn. How Adventure Gear Strapped to Your Roof Affects Gas Mileage.