E. Osceola in snow OR 'Why do I do this?'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
I started my quest for the 48 in 2005, and I’ve been asking THE BIG QUESTION.

“Why do I do this? ”, I thought on the return trip as I slowed the Jeep down to 35-40mph in whiteout conditions. The outside temp had dropped and a volley of large snowflakes was turning my windshield into the Windows ‘starfield simulation’ screensaver. With fog lights on, I could occasionally make out the highway dividers, occasionally being zapped back to consciousness by the rumble strip. Passed a couple of spinouts including one in the meridian strip. From Woodstock to Franklin,NH was the scariest experience in this silly quest to stand atop an arbitrary list of hills.

“Why do I do this? “, I pondered when slapping the snooze button on my alarm for the last time before getting out of bed. It was quite comfy and warm, and a delightful rest after all the Christmas brouhaha. I checked ROT and the weather reports and really wanted to stay home. I looked at my map and saw two yellow (planned) pins in my map. The Osceolas have been planned several times before and each time the plan had fallen through. Might even happen again today, but I figured I’d try. I quickly grabbed whatever gear I could find amid the leftover wrapping paper and boxes and hopped in the car to enjoy a dark ride up. By the time dawn arrived, there were even little blue patches in the sky to suggest things would work out.

“Why do I do this? “, raced through my mind as I trudged up the Osceola trail through what can be described as the sorriest excuse for snow I’ve experienced. The Greeley Pond trail wasn’t so bad, a bit mushy, a few river crossings, but it felt good to be back on the trail. The dogs seemed undeterred by the conditions and would sprint ahead on the trail, and then rush back as if to ask, “Are you guys coming or what?”

Almost as soon as we began to encounter the more serious elevation gain, the rain became steady and the snow deteriorated further. Many people had very specific names for this type of snow, most of which shouldn’t be written down. I settled on the term “craptacular”, although someone suggested it was ‘water-based rock lubricant’ which is certainly much more descriptive. While I wore the snowshoes for practice, it did not appear any type of snowshoe or crampon would be of much use in the mush.

“Why do I do this? “, I thought while having a cigarette on E. Osceola. I’m pretty sure I was thinking about why I still found myself gambling with my health by smoking, but it extended to the trip as well. My legs were tired from being almost five months since my last 4Ker, I was soaked to the bone, my backpack was pretty much drenched, and I had about 4 oz of water left. I think I was the first to volunteer, “if anyone else is heading back, you’ll have company!” I had promised my daughter I would take her up Osceola in the summer, and it seemed like a remarkably good idea to save that peak for then. A few others (Mohamed, MtnPa, Bunchberry, and Amy) decided to pass on the trip to the main peak, while the rest charged on. I had bagged #21, and was content.

“Why do I do this? “, continued to be my mascot phrase during the descent. Each step had to be approached carefully, and caution or not – I think everyone took at least one spill. My favorite was a well-planned careful step over a rock. I decided that there was more snow there and it should be safer. I would say I postholed, but that was fairly difficult in this snow. It gave way under my leg and I went for a 35-foot unintentional glissade. I’ll need to practice this more. Instead of leaning back on my pack, I sat up to see where the next rock or tree was. My back filled with slush up to just below my neck. Snowshoes were not an effective brake, and I stopped by grabbing on to a passing tree. The tree stopped moving, and I stopped suddenly with my shoulder aching and my heart racing. I’ve survived. Time for a butt. I reached in the jacket and pulled out the soggiest pack of smokes I’ve seen. I tried to pull one out, but they simply broke off and left me with a soggy filter. With only two days left before my quit date, those stupid things were rather precious, and now they’re just soggy extra trash to pack out. Only smokers or the lucky quitters can understand exactly how I felt.

This was the worst fall, but was far from the only one. If Mohamed had not collected a variety of gear from my many crash sites, I might have returned to the car empty handed.

When we got back to the car, we said our goodbyes to Mohamed while the rest of our rational crew of turnarounds headed over to the Woodstock Inn to wait up for the, um, more intrepid ones.

I got into a dry pair of jeans and socks, walked to the store to buy another pack of coffin nails, and proceeded to get my nicotine and ethanol content back to acceptable levels. Soon Sherpa John, MichaelJ, Abster, and Poison Ivy returned safely and we enjoyed dinner, conversation, and even cribbage together.

This morning I asked again, “Why I do this?” There are many reasons.

Exercise. I have never spent time reading manuals on exercise equipment, but I find myself working out trails to peaks months in advance. The hikes become my excuse to exercise between hikes. The pounding I took heading up E. Osceola should have me scurrying back to the gym at just the time the New Years Resolution herd returns. Usually they are gone by February.

I genuinely like the people. I have met so many great and interesting folk during this adventure. I would like to list them all but the length would be a problem and I would hate to accidentally exclude anyone. Odds are, if I’ve met you on the trail, you’re OK in my book. Total strangers have helped me and I’ve been eager to lend a hand whenever needed. I’ve received encouragement, correction and good cheer almost consistently. People are SO much more enjoyable out of their usual habitats and habits. I especially enjoyed meeting Mohamed and SJ on the trail, as (aside from my Aunt Althea) they provided much of the inspiration to undertake this effort in the first place.

Ultimately, I’ve discovered that I’m more of a tourist than a peakbagger. For me the NH48 is a delicious sampler of places, an opportunity to experience just a small part of the rugged beauty of the Whites. To walk where tens of thousands have before, but where millions will never. To stare out at vistas virtually unchanged during our history, and realize that our significance is entirely what we make of it. I hope to complete the list, but even failing that - it can not be said that I didn’t enjoy each one. Every sunset, rain drop, injury and joy have merged in the sweet blender of memory – making each one as much a part of me as anything else I’ve done.

The mountains I have conquered under my boot heels will one day proudly stand above the ground where I have turned to dust and been forgotten. They call it ‘Peoplebagging’.

Congrats on your #21!!

(My first post here and I'm happy that it's for my newest hiking buddy, McRat!! :p )

Congrats, Russ on your 21st!! Must be so nice to be able to answer for yourself the BIG questions in life!!

Great trip report...so descriptive, so you!!

Hope to hike with you again real soon!!

Great report McRat. :) Much better than I would have done.

This was a very fun hike despite having spring conditions as opposed to actual winter conditions. It was great that we had a group big enough that the six of you could head down while the five of us could continue on to the main peak. :)

A few pictures are up here.

The Osceolas were winter #'s 16 & 17 for me, in case anyone is interested in the count! :)

- Ivy

Last edited:
Great trip report, I think it's more that trail that gives you the "why am I here" feelings unless you are really fit. East start, progressively steeper, no view payoff up top, the chimney & the cut-off are interesting if you keep going & if just doing East you are apt to do it on a bad day since a spectacular day you would want to go above treeline.

I've been up it twice in winter with great people. The views you get on occassion down low of the cliffs on East Osceola may be the best view going although the slide gives you some views of the valley that Greeley Ponds sit in (Mad River Valley?) those cliffs are pretty impressive. Does anyone climb there?

Having done East O. twice in winter & enjoying the trip from Tripoli road, I doubt I'll ever ascend East again but I do like the loop.

Russ...what a great trip report!!!! Had a blast hiking with all of you.
Even in the pouring rain we had a good time. I just want you to know that
my butt sliding was not intentional. Boy oh boy it was slippery!
Stay safe an have a Happy New Year!! Good luck with the wisdom.

Last edited:
Congrats to Ivy!!

Where are my manners?? :eek:

Congrats too to Ivy especially who bagged TWO peaks to add to her list!

My role model! :)

Thanks Nilsa. :)

Just wanted to add that Russ forwarded me his pictures and I put them up on Shutterbook. His pictures start on the second page of thumbnails if you want to skip right to -em. The address is my post above.

Cheers,
- Ivy

McRat... enjoyed reading your trip report! Can you explain what ROT is? Thanks :) :confused:

Russ: 21 peaks and more than 21 stories. You tell some good ones!!

Well, I'm just happy to have survived my 1st winter 48 peak in less than ideal "winter" conditions!

Despite the weather, Ivy & McRat, you got some gorgeous photos!

Thanks, Ivy, for organizing and McRat for the toasty ride to the Station. And thanks to Bunchberry, Mohamed, and McRat for your patience while I practiced flopping around in my "clown shoes" and butt sliding down East O. :D

Like I said, not sure I'm sold on winter hiking yet, but the great company sure helped!

congrats on one more mountain down!

I had to look at this trip report...the title intrigued me! I often ask myself that usually when it's poor weather, winter, or in the beginning when I'm out of shape. I enjoyed reading your report. Why do we do it, so many reasons like you said but still I also find myself asking why!!!! especially when it is dark and cold out there. It's all worth it in the end thank God!!!

Great report McRat. I recall those same questions popping into my head on many hikes. On my Maine AT hike as I struggled over Barren Mt in 90 degree weather with the humidity slightly higher I was muttering to myself about the misery. Some cheerful perky hiker came from the other direction reporting, "It could be worse, it could be raining." A short time later in a downpour on White Cap that perky voice returned in my mind. I recall thinking, "ok so I suppose you would say, it could be worse, it could be an ice storm." That's when it struck me "What am I doing here?" Then as I descended having been cheated out of any view the sun came out. The Maine woods were glorious with that fresh mountain scent and I felt alive again. I guess that answered my question until it surfaced again on another hike.