Fagus grandifolia / Guido's Ski Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Okay, all you Goffstonians!!!! (What? You're not a Goffstonian? Maybe you should read a different trip report then.)

It was too nice today so I left work early & went on what I intended as a bushwhack to a stand of beech (Fagus grandifolia) that I've never gotten around to exploring. There are a couple of beech stands on the slopes of North Uncanoonuc. Something about a stand of trees dominated by one species is impressive; they're not particularly rare but most of the trees in our town seem to be white pine, red oak, red maple, white oak, and hemlock (with some birches and sugar maples and pitch pine and beech and other species thrown in), so a stand of beech can be striking this time of year, before the leaves come out and there's a sunny hillside.

Beech are among my favorite trees (I have a lot of favorite trees :rolleyes: ), they make me think of elephants, like if you took an elephant and stretched it upwards until most of the elephant was safely out of view.

These stands are somewhat remarkable in that I didn't see any graffiti (EG + VR 2/1/84) slashed into them -- so please don't spoil this spot!!!

Their leaves are nicely ovoid and serrate, not as thin & jagged as chestnut, but similar. Many of the trees are well into bud; beech buds are long (almost 1") and pointed. Like the oaks, some of last year's leaves may stay on the tree even until spring; this is called marcescence (learned that one on a SPNHF hike) and although it's one of those annoying things when you have to keep raking the lawn, here in the woods it's nice when the old dead leaves keep rattling around in the wind.

I like lowland bushwhacks, especially when you're hiking in a stand of trees that is old enough that there's a canopy that shades out the understory so you can walk without having to push branches out of the way -- I guess it's not really a bushwhack anymore, more of an aimless wandering.

I'm going to have to come back later when there are more things sprouting; there were a few evergreen herbs visible: wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) and trailing arbutus (Epigaea repens) here and there, and some leafless blueberry plants (Vaccinium angustifolium) in patches, along with last year's blackened and withering Indian pipe (Monotropa uniflora).

Beech trees often spread by cloning: the roots grow laterally and then sprout upwards, so when you see a stand of beeches, they might all be genetically identical and interconnected. There were lots of little sprouts from the soil. Someone had cut down a bunch of the smaller trees a few years back, but not all the way to the ground, and they seem to be a rather resilient species, as you can see here: ("I'm not dead yet!")

Beech and red maple and pitch pine (and birches?) seem to be good at resprouting.

I didn't see any bear claw marks (apparently the beechnuts are one of their favorite foods), but occasionally the trees are infected with nectria fungus which is a pretty bad bark disease:

In some of the stands, there areas where beechdrops (Epifagus virginiana) are abundant. These are a parasitic plant that feeds on the roots of beech trees; they have small weird magenta/white candy-stripe flowers in the fall. They seem to persist over the winter.

On my way near the summit, I ran across some signs that were somewhat intriguing, so I figured I'd come back down & follow them.

That's right, in addition to the White Dot trail and the old Carriage Road, there's Guido's Ski Trail. Never heard of Guido's Ski Trail? Neither had I, but someone has put a lot of work into it. There are all these little triangular signs, routed with a G and varnished and painted and screwed into the trees (with those square bit anti-vandal screws!) at intervals. Much fancier than the tin can lids with white spray paint used on the White Dot trail.

Later on down the trail, there's a sign saying

GUIDO's
"SKI-ONLY"
SKI TRAIL
Please Do Not
*Snowshoe
*Hike
*Bike​

Pretty audacious, considering that this is quasi-public water supply land (owned by the Goffstown Village Water Precinct).

About midway down, there's a little rest area with a bench and a little red trail register box (complete with roof!):

and inside you can leave a comment. There's a slip of paper which says

Who is Guido??
"Guido" (Gwee-do) is the assumed Italian name of a local World War II veteran who, like millions in his generation, fought to free occupied lands 60 years ago. "Guido's Ski Trail" honors Guido and the millions of other Guido's (in Italian, "guy" like "just another guy") who fought and died to preserve the freedoms we enjoy today.
Please honor the ski-only trail by walking it only to maintain & clear the trail. Please do not hike, bike, or snowshoe the trail.
"There's lots of hiking trails, but there's only one Guido's Ski Trail."
Thanks...

Along the way back down, the trees have those triangular wooden G's on it, or there are little rock cairns.

I had mixed feelings on seeing this trail. Clearly someone was inspired to invest a lot of energy to create the trail & do a high quality job on the "blazes", and it is a much more memorable trail than the other ones on North Uncanoonuc. But it's a bootleg trail, and I wonder if the person who created it even knows whose property it's on. Also the brush has been cleared away, but instead of being dispersed elsewhere in the woods, it has been gathered in piles that seem like a fire hazard.

Anyway, my hike was a badly needed diversion, & I'll be rambling around again in a month or two, to see what herbaceous vegetation has sprouted.

arghman said:
Never heard of Guido's Ski Trail? Neither had I, but someone has put a lot of work into it. There are all these little triangular signs, routed with a G and varnished and painted and screwed into the trees (with those square bit anti-vandal screws!) at intervals. Much fancier than the tin can lids with white spray paint used on the White Dot trail.
I didn't know Fr. Sarducci was a skier?!

If we ever get snow again, try skiing Guido's, the handiwork of a good friend who shall remain nameless. But, yes, he is an artisan extraordinaire, and a fine musician as well.

Big trees are like big mountains

i see you're a tree hugger too. So am I. You need to make your way down to western Mass. One thing Massachusetts has that NH doesn't have is big trees. Some of the biggest trees to be seen in New England are in Berkshires of western Mass. Mountains of Mohawk St Forest may have wooded summits and limited views, but they certainly have largest populations of majestic White Pines greater than 150' feet in height than anywhere in New England and much of NY state. The time is ripe for return of old growth pines and other species in some of the state forests and other tracts around western Mass. It really does your heart good to see a grove of mighty white pines stretching skyward and slowly swaying in the breeze. Tree huggers delight. These forest areas also have remarkable hardwoods like oaks , ashes, maples too. The 80 acre wood lot on William Cullen Bryant property in Cummington managed by Trustees of Reservations or Ice Geln in Stockbridge are truly are jewels to be treasured. The Mohawk St Forest and Monroe St Forest provide fertile terrain for bushwackers to search out hidden groves of big trees.

Check out this web site to see what kindred spirits are up down here in western Mass searching out old growth woodlands. The high flyers on this web site are what else but the tree climbers the ones who climb the trees to verify the measurements that the groundlings measure by indirect means.

http://www.uark.edu/misc/ents/

Trees are returning to the Whites too. It's only a matter of time. Thanks to conservation the big trees will return. Not that much time either. The Whites too once had mast trees that were reserved for use as masts for the royal navy. They just don't grow as fast this far north, but a white pine in good soil grows alot in 100 years. So keep your eye on the lowlands of the Pemi and the Saco. Likewise for other woodlands around NH. Sheldrick Forest Preserve in Milford NH is good place to visit to see old growth pines. I need to check out Nancy Pond area to see the virgin spruce tracts that are there.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Jazzbo said:
I need to check out Nancy Pond area to see the virgin spruce tracts that are there.
This stand is easy to find, but it won't exactly take your breath away in terms of size/scale. I was a bit disappointed the first time I saw the stand. Actually, there's some areas on Passaconaway that are pretty impressive and I don't think they're virgin forest - around the Old Mast trail for example (not surprisingly).

Outside of the obvious species like sequoias and redwoods - standard forests (new growth stuff too) in Washington state will take your breath away, and to some extent Oregon as well. They are enormous. I realize this is a bit off the subject, but it's nice to know that huge trees still grow on a regular basis in some parts of the country.