Hale via Firewarden’s Trail – 3/29/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
Hale via Firewarden’s Trail

Date of Hike: 3/29/14

Trails: bushwhack from Seven Dwarfs Motel, North Twin Trail, Firewarden’s Trail

Conditions: Saturday was very warm so the snow was the consistency of mashed potatoes. I took an epic posthole (with snowshoes) when we were on the North Twin bushwhack (the one between the first and second stream crossing). The trail diverged around a tree and I took the low road and promptly sank hip deep through the snow into a tiny stream (rill?). Up and down the Firewarden’s Trail was much the same, sinking in despite snowshoes.

Special Equipment Required: The parking area beyond the Seven Dwarfs was extremely icy, so we started with ‘spikes, but as soon as we crossed the bridge and stepped through (yes, through, not onto) the trail we realized snowshoes were essential. Even with the snowshoes we would sink a bit, but we had it better than whoever it was who was barebooting. WHY???!!!!

Comments: Have I mentioned snowshoes enough? Please bring them and use them! Spring has sprung. Instead of looking for warm temps I shall be monitoring the weather for evenings with freezing temps so that the trails will be solid.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu

170/576