Hancocks via Arrow Slide & Tecumseh, 6/4/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 4, 2011: Hancocks & Tecumseh

Trails: Hancocks: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail, Arrow Slide

Tecumseh: Mt. Tecumseh Trail

Summits: North Hancock, South Hancock, Tecumseh

Hikers: Bobby, Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Ever since climbing Arrow Slide last fall, Sue and I have been interested in a return visit. With a weather forecast that was ideal we decided it was time. For some reason, Bobby decided he wanted to join us. (He’s tough, or crazy, or perhaps both.) We all met as planned at the trailhead for the Hancock Notch Trail and took off. (The views at the trailhead lot could sure be opened up with a few minutes of chainsaw time.)

The Hancock Notch Trail is clear and mostly dry all of the way to the junction with Cedar Brook Trail. This was generally a non-stop warm-up for us. We hit the junction and made the turn onto Cedar Brook Trail well ahead of plan. Cedar Brook Trail was more of a test. The stream crossings were all easy. The water is down and the mid-stream rocks are up. Rock-hops across all of them ended with dry feet. The test has to do with blowdowns. There are quite a few in the .7 miles that leads to the Hancock Loop Trail. In one place there are two very large blowdowns on top of each other completely blocking the trail. While ascending, just go down the left side of the trees and there is a place where you can pass between the trunks of the trees (we were able to keep our packs on for this move). The blowdowns were a surprise and the lack of mud was also a surprise. Cedar Brook Trail is usually a long mud pit. It’s pretty dry and solid for the full distance.

We hit the Hancock Loop Trail, made the turn, and headed for the loop split. The final stream crossing was just as easy as the ones on Cedar Brook Trail and we were again hiking on clear trail. It seems interesting the blowdown problem is concentrated on Cedar Brook Trail – Hancock Notch Trail and Hancock Loop Trail are both clear. We arrived to the loop split and the fun was about to begin. We made the turn, descended to the disappearing stream, and headed off-trail to the bottom of Arrow Slide.

Last fall, Sue and I learned about the wet conditions that exist on the slide and we were sure our route-finding experience then would be helpful in climbing the slide this time. As we made our way through the thick growth before the bottom of the slide I managed to open up a place on my left arm. We stopped to take care of it. Before we finished climbing to North Hancock, there would be more blood and everybody would make a donation.

The bottom third of the slide is a narrow section with great footing. Just pick a route that looks good, and go. We were still hiking in the shade but soon the bright sun would be on us and warming things up. As we made our way up the lower part of the slide we started to get better views of the open, wet sections. The dark patches on the slide are all no-fly zones. There is no traction there. Under the water is a thick green growth that is as slippery as slippery gets. These areas must be avoided. Previously, Sue and I started up the left side of the main slide only to find we were on a dead-end street and needed to go back down to a location where we could cross to the right side for the climb. This time through, we made the crossing and continued up with no back-tracking.

Climbing the right side of the slide, we worked the area between the wet, slippery ledge and the growth along the edge. In many places we took advantage of the growth for handholds in tricky areas. Slowly we made our way up with stops along the way to get some pictures, enjoy the views, or just take a break. Eventually we were between the main split and the upper split. The route we climbed went up the right side of the slide at the main split and then we went to the left side of the upper split. We exited the slide in the center of the top following a small drainage into the conifers. The initial growth from the slide is pretty thick but very short. Soon it opens up. The walk to the trail is through moderately open growth – usually. The preferred route from the top of the slide to the trail is to simply work to the right and up staying out of the blowdown patch above the slide. Our approach was to simply head straight up from the slide to hit the trail closer to the summit. We found our way into the blowdown patch, left some blood, and finally made a right and pushed our way out to the trail. The final fifty to one hundred yards to the summit was on-trail. We hit the summit, got the usual pictures, went to the viewpoint, got more pictures, and soon headed to South Hancock.

The hike to South Hancock passes through an area that is usually a test in non-frozen months. There are some impressive mud pits between the peaks and the guy that selected the trail route decided it was a good idea to run the trail directly through these pits. One by one we were able to get past the pits and I don’t recall any significant problems that the stream crossings on the way out wouldn’t take care of. Our boots got a little dirty but none of us postholed (that’s not always the way it works out). Along the way we met quite a few hikers doing the loop counter-clockwise.

On South Hancock we stopped for the usual pictures and Bobby assisted another couple of hikers with a summit picture. Soon we were on our exit hike. The steep descent from South Hancock is dry and clear of blowdowns. In winter there are some very nice views to Arrow Slide from the trail off South Hancock but that’s with several feet of snow base and no leaves. The views are much more limited right now. We hit the loop split and generally kept moving. There was more hiking in our plans but we needed to finish off this one. The rest of our exit hike to the trailhead was completely uneventful. We reached the completely full trailhead lot, loaded our things, and headed for Waterville Valley and our afternoon hike. We also said goodbye to Bobby – he was done for the day.

Being able to use Tripoli Road for the drive to Tecumseh saves a lot of miles. This road is partly paved and mostly unpaved. We were very happy to reach the unpaved section – it was the smooth part. The paved section is in really tough shape. Leaving it this way is probably an effective speed control. We reached the trailhead to the Mt. Tecumseh Trail, grabbed our things, and started our afternoon hike. This one was simple – climb to the summit, register the checkmark, and head for the exit.

The hike to Tecumseh is short, the trail is completely clear for the full distance, and there is very little mud. We were able to make what seemed like a slow climb to Tecumseh. There were many stops along the way, but we already had a pretty good hike done earlier and the extra stops weren’t a surprise. Our progress seemed slow but in fact we made the climb in generally the same time as usual. I guess we’re always slow. Along the way up we passed quite a few others on their way down. Start late and that’s what happens. By the time we reached the ridge everybody that was on the summit had left and we had the place to ourselves. At the summit loop split we went left (as usual) and completed the short climb to the top. The summit of Tecumseh has a nice view to Tripyramids. But that’s it. There is really not a big reason to hang around. We got the usual pictures and were soon on our exit hike.

The run back to the trailhead went quick. We passed one other couple along the way. Other than brief interruptions for a quick drink or to let my feet cool down a little it was generally non-stop and we hit the trailhead right on plan. We tossed our things in the back, changed into our traveling footwear, and made the drive south.

Over the past few weeks we have been cheering for the weather experts to be wrong – and in every case they have been. Today we were pulling for them to be right, and fortunately they were.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Arrow Slide is on my list of places to visit...not necessarily to go all the way up, but at least look around to play. How would you rate the Arrow Slide compared to the North Slide on Tripyramid in terms of difficulty?

Cool pics of the slide, btw!!

grouseking

Arrow Slide is on my list of places to visit...not necessarily to go all the way up, but at least look around to play. How would you rate the Arrow Slide compared to the North Slide on Tripyramid in terms of difficulty?
North Slide tends to have a lot of loose and broken rock on the surface, Arrow Slide is a much cleaner slab (friction climbing). Probably similar in actual difficulty, but Arrow might be psychologically harder (friction climbing...). Stay away from Arrow if it is wet.

This is remembering back quite a few years for Arrow, but I think it is correct. Arrow Slide is certainly more interesting than the trails.

Doug

Cool pics of the slide, btw!!

grouseking

Having climbed both within the past few weeks, it seems clear to me the North Tripyramid slide is much easier. The footing is generally much better from bottom to top.

Arrow slide has a lot of wet sections that need to be avoided.

Freely moving from one side to the other on North Tripyramid is possible making for easy adjustments to an intended route. Making this sort of adjustment is much more difficult on Arrow Slide due to the wet areas. These areas aren't just wet but they are also covered in a moss or algae that leaves zero traction. I really don't think "friction climbing" in these areas is possible - but I could be wrong not being an expert in the topic. This is the reason we were forced to back-track on our visit there a few months ago.

And - btw, thanks. ;)

:D

Last edited:
Ever since climbing Arrow Slide last fall, Sue and I have been interested in a return visit. With a weather forecast that was ideal we decided it was time. For some reason, Bobby decided he wanted to join us. (He’s tough, or crazy, or perhaps both.) :D

I thought that I would give you a third shot at doing me in!

It was a great day and a great hike. I had been thinking about hiking the slide for a while now and I happy that I joined in. The slide wasn't quite what I expected, it was much steeper than I thought. The loose ground up high made each step interesting. It seemed that we sent debris flying down with every step. The views were incredible, on what is typically a viewless hike. This was well worth the effort.

I wish I could have joined you for the second half of the day, but the heel pain made me think it was time to call it a day, and it turns out that I was needed at home....so all is well that ends well.

http://a-little-out-there.smugmug.com/Hiking2011-1/North-and-South-Hancock-via/17392825_G5DX8n#1322337605_KjGTdBS

I thought that I would give you a third shot at doing me in!
………
We gave it a good one but you ended the day wearing the same smile you started with.

We’ll need to try something else.

;)

…….
The loose ground up high made each step interesting. It seemed that we sent debris flying down with every step.
………
The final 50 to 100 yards leading to the exit into the conifers above the slide is an interesting way to wrap things up. Before that, as long as you stay on dry ground things are generally predictable. It seems there’s nothing tied down on that top section.

:eek:

………
The views were incredible, on what is typically a viewless hike. This was well worth the effort.
………
The reward for climbing the slide is pretty amazing. Taking your time and enjoying the climb requires about the same time as the trail route. Plus, there are plenty of places along the way where you can stop to relax, enjoy the place, and even a few spots that would be a good place for a lunch break.

If the exposed conditions aren’t upsetting, it’s a very good way up.

:)

………
I wish I could have joined you for the second half of the day
………
Yeah, me too. But it was Tecumseh. It’s probably another one of those mountains that generally gets climbed mostly because it’s on a list.

:rolleyes:

Give us another shot. I promise, next time we’ll do better.

:cool: