Huntington/Tucks 8-25; King Ravine/Great Gully 8-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
After far too long slacking off this year in regards to hiking (an embarrassing 4 daytrips to the whites prior to this trip. Can it really be that low?!) and prime hiking season around the corner a few buddies and I met up for one of my favorites--Huntington Ravine. Of course some had to be talked into it; in fact it's surprising anyone hikes the trail after reading what the guidebook has to say on the matter. Weather forecast was great but as we drove down 16 we couldn't help but notice how the upper east side of Washington and the ravines were socked in. It made for some nice photos as we ascended the fan when it would briefly clear. A few mins after ascending the slab above the fan it started to lightly rain and everyone seemed to move a little more earnestly but the rain quickly passed. We were past the worst of the slabs anyways so it wasn't too concerning. Once on our way up Nelson Crag we leapfrogged a bit up to the summit and later on our way down Tuckerman with a group of 3. One gentlemen was doing his first hike ever. On his 55th birthday. Up Huntington. It was a pleasure chatting with those guys and really made us all reflect a bit on enjoying life, personal goals, and forays into the wild.

I had planned a rather aggressive itinerary for myself for the following day in and around the northern peaks but after spending 2 hours looking for camping in the usual spots west of the presis I scrapped that plan and figured I'd just play it by ear. I woke up and had a fantastic 10:30 am gentleman's start on my first solo hike in almost a full year. This for a guy that used to do 80% + of his hikes solo. On a whim I figured I hadn't been into King Ravine in a couple of years and had been meaning to check out the Great Gully trail so I flew up there and through the subway for the first time (even found some snow!). I circled over Adams and Madison and headed back down Airline to soak up the views. 2 years ago a similar loop took me just over 12 hours somehow. With leisurely breaks this day it was down to 6 hours :) What a great weekend well balanced between good friends and quality alone time. I'm hungry for more.

pcushing21 at yahoo dot com
Pat

IMG_0993.JPG

working up the fan in the clouds

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

pano001.jpg

pano002.jpg

IMG_1101.JPG

stunning contrast provided by the shadows in the floor of king ravine looking out towards waumbek/weeks/cabot

pano004.jpg