Jefferson via Caps Ridge, 6/7/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 7, 2014: Jefferson via Caps Ridge

Trails: Caps Ridge Trail

Summits: Jefferson

Hikers: Jessica, Leah, Lina, Felix, Marty, and me

After trying for 45 years I finally reached the top of a mountain on June 7. I’m still working on the one I started 45 years ago; no hurry – it’s a long-term project.

With afternoon commitments I needed a hike that could be completed early. Plan A for the day was Jefferson via Caps Ridge, and in case of uncooperative conditions Plan B was Jackson. The conditions were good and we were able to go for Plan A.

As we arrived to the area we made a quick stop at Ammonoosuc Trailhead to pickup Marty. He was planning to join us to Jefferson and then head south to Monroe and back to the Ammonoosuc Trailhead where he would leave his vehicle. Jefferson alone wasn’t quite enough to put a smile on Marty’s face and he needed a few more miles in the day. I would have enjoyed hiking his plan but didn’t have the time.

We loaded his things into the truck and made our way to the Caps Ridge Trailhead. Even though it was early I was concerned it might already be too late for a parking space in the trailhead lot. When we arrived we found plenty of room; big surprise. Along with a large number of hikers there was a group of unknown size to be working on trail maintenance activities; clearing blowdowns, waterbar clearing, brushing, etc. It was shaping up to be a busy day on Caps Ridge Trail. We were working with a plan to done and gone by 2:00pm; that was my self-imposed afternoon deadline.

We all grabbed our things, got a quick trailhead picture, and started up Caps Ridge Trail. Right from the start we had company. After a short time we all fell into our comfortable pace for the hike and individual groups established separation. On the first half of the climb (below the mid-hike viewpoint) that trail was fairly clear and open with only a few blowdowns that needed to be cleared. Among the blowdowns were a few large ones that would certainly take some work to clear. The group planning to complete the trail maintenance included Michael Blair and a few Random Hikers. Volunteer activity means a great deal to the general hiking community and the efforts benefit everyone that uses the trail system.

We generally made a non-stop trip to the viewpoint. There, we made a quick stop for pictures and to enjoy the early views toward the summit and surrounding areas. The summit was clouded in but we hoped for clearing by the time we arrived. Cloud movement to the southeast and the conditions to the northwest suggested we might get lucky. We continued our climb expecting to make the most out of whatever conditions we have to enjoy.

From the viewpoint we could see the lower Cap and get a sense of the fun ahead. We made the short walk through the remaining cover leading to the treeline and the fun started. The scrambles seem to start below the treeline in the final ~hundred yards of cover. The trail becomes rocky with ledges leading to the open above the trees. Then, we started on the lower cap. The conditions for the day were dry and climbing over the caps wasn’t a big test. We had good footing and managed to make our way in both directions (up and down) without a problem. The trail is marked but to a degree each of us found our own way past the lower and upper cap, staying on-trail or very close to it all along the way. We cleared the upper cap and were soon at the Caps Ridge – Cornice trails junction. At this point we were rock-hopping in the Northern Presidentials. The rocks provide great traction for the climb and it’s a matter of picking a comfortable route for the climb. The cairns were easy to locate and follow all of the way to the summit of Jefferson. By now there was a good crowd at the summit as well as behind us on the trail. Jefferson was becoming a busy place.

We arrived to the summit, got the usual summit pictures, and enjoyed the place for a while. This is where Marty said his goodbye and headed to Gulfside to work his way south to Monroe. The visibility was slowly improving and conditions appeared promising for our friend on his suddenly solo adventure. We all wished Marty luck and went our separate ways.

Our exit hike was generally uneventful. We made our way back through the caps with no troubles at all. As we made our way through the upper sheltered section we noticed the brushing that had been completed since we passed through the area earlier. In fact, earlier we were getting car washed in this section but now the trail is wide; all of the encroaching brush has been cut back and disposed of off trail. Thank you Michael Blair and Company. Soon we were at the pothole viewpoint enjoying the improved views and clearing conditions. The Southern Presidentials through Monroe were in the clear and we were able to get glimpses to the summit of Washington. Marty was going to have terrific conditions for his remaining hike.

After leaving the pothole viewpoint, roughly halfway from there to the trailhead we caught up with the workers that were taking care of trail maintenance. They had work on several blowdowns underway and appeared to be charging through them. Thanks all, your work is really appreciated.

Soon we made our way across the log bridges near the trailhead and then stepped into the trailhead lot right on plan. Packing to leave only took a few minutes and we were on the drive south. We made our way to Base Road and the ride was smoother, we made our way to Route 302 and the ride improved even more, by the time we reached Route 3 the kids were asleep in the back seat; sound asleep – they’re cute at that age.

Thanks to everyone for a fun, short day in the mountains. I realize my first rule of hiking is “Hike time must be greater than drive time.” In this case it was really close.

One final comment for the day concerns the trailhead lot. It’s a very popular trailhead and when we returned it was overflowing with vehicles parked along Jefferson Notch Road. The entry road also had vehicles parked along each side and a lot of those vehicles were not parked very well; they could have been located much closer to the side and further from the center of the entry roadway. It’s good to remember there are many people that drive powerful 4WD pickup trucks and carry the gear needed to remove obstacles that are in the way. “Nuff said.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

45 years to the top of a mountain.:) ;)

Earl,

it was a pleasure to get out hiking with you once again. 5 weeks between hikes together is far too long. Your story and pix were great as always and you were right, I did get some great views going from Jeff to Monroe. Saw lots of patches of snow, too, with the biggest being just above the southern Lake of the Clouds. Descending upper Ammo was tough, however, with some slick, wet rocks to add to the fun.

I loved hearing about the "kids" falling asleep in the back, too. They and Jessica were a lot of fun to hike with. Glad your descent of Caps Ridge went smoothly.

Looking forward to our next hike!

Regards,
Marty

45 years to the top of a mountain.:) ;)

Earl,

it was a pleasure to get out hiking with you once again. 5 weeks between hikes together is far too long. Your story and pix were great as always and you were right, I did get some great views going from Jeff to Monroe. Saw lots of patches of snow, too, with the biggest being just above the southern Lake of the Clouds. Descending upper Ammo was tough, however, with some slick, wet rocks to add to the fun.

I loved hearing about the "kids" falling asleep in the back, too. They and Jessica were a lot of fun to hike with. Glad your descent of Caps Ridge went smoothly.

Looking forward to our next hike!

Regards,
Marty
Hey Marty,

I was really happy when I saw the clearing on the ridge knowing you were up there going solo. I assume you made it down in one piece. I might have a picture of you on Gulfside headed south from Monticello Lawn.

I hope it isn't another five weeks until we're once again on a common mountain mission together.

Really happy you were able to join the fun.

Earl