Lake George, 10/26 - 10/28/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Ishmael and I have been taking some late summer - Fall weekends the past two years and paddle camping several of the lakes and rivers in the Adirondacks. Last year we did the Saranac Lakes, Little Tupper Lake, and Lake Lilla. This year we camped on Lows Lake, Long Lake/Raquette River, Cranberry Lake, and this past weekend we camped on Temple Knoll Island in the Waltonian Group of islands on Lake George.

Accordingly, on Friday morning I got up and headed for the Rogers Rock Campground about 5 miles south of Ticonderoga.

PA260106.JPG

I headed out before 11 am and reached the Waltonian Island of Temple Knoll about noon, after checking out several of the othe Islands. there are disappointingly few landing spots on the majority of these islands. The singular exception being Flirtation Island which had two nice sandy landing sites on the north side of the island. Temple Knoll did have a workable landing dock on the south end of the Island which I ultimatley selected. I landed, unloaded, set up a dining fly, had some lunch, hiked about the small island looking for other landing spots (which did not exist), set up the tent, built a fire, and waited for Ishmael. He got there at 5:00 pm on the dot after working a full day.

PA270171.JPG

We had a snort, a few beers and a few more snorts, a few more beers, and some Sahlen's hotdogs with Weber's mustard, all the while discussing the paddling itinerary for the next day.

The next morning we headed out on a millpond surfaced Lake George toward the northern portion of the lake and have a gander at the outlet river. Speaking of ganders we saw many of them heading south.

PA270174.JPG

We visited Profile Rocks, Weed Bay, Prison Island, Mossy Point, Diane's Rock, got close to "The Chute", the Ticonderoga steamer landing, Rogers Slide, and Rogers Rock Campground.

PA270134.JPG

PA270149.JPG

Mossy Point above

PA270163.JPG

Rogers Slide above

After leasurely evening of scotch and Molsen's we retired for the evening Ishmael about 8 pm, and I about 10. The next morning we broke camp and easily beat Hurricane Sandy home. Temps never got below 50 degrees F at night.

More Pics andn GPS tracks at Wikiloc, and Wikiloc 2

Attachments

• PA270149.JPG
    PA270149.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PA260106.jpg
    PA260106.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PA270174.JPG
    PA270174.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great report - its a fine place after the motorheads leave! Love the shot of Rogers' Slide; it was high on my list of places I wanted to climb until my knees died.