Monadnock Easter Sunrise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Yeah! “Who wants to get up at 2:00 A.M. and go for a hike?” Would you believe I actually got two volunteers (or victims) that said yes? One is my daughter, Kimberly, the other my sister-in-law, friend and hiking partner “Sunshine Chris”. I got nervous when Kim headed for the door Saturday at about 8:30 P.M. going out to see her friends. “Don’t worry Dad! I took a nap earlier and I’ll be back by eleven!” Twenty years ago but I remember the importance of getting out with my friends at seventeen. “Okay! Have fun!” :)
We got up to a clear starry night and chased the waning moon west to Jaffery. Made one quick stop for gas along the way. OOPS! Woulda, coulda, shoulda taken care of that Saturday! Is a senior moment allowed in your forties? :rolleyes: Got to the head quarter parking lot and there were no cars, also nobody was camping in the campground. Last year there had been some folks camping and two nice fires going.
The hike began up White Dot at about 4:45 A.M. with Chris and I on Microspikes while Kim was on chain traction (similar to YakTraks only with light chains). We wore headlamps but I didn’t use mine except when showing Kim our location on the map once in a while since the moonlight was so bright. The trail was very well packed snow, and on the steep pitches granular with hard white ice. Going up the very steep sections Kim backslid slightly but nothing unnerving. We got up to the upper junction with White Cross and the wind was much stronger and began chilling us down. We stopped at the first little valley and put the layers back on that had peeled off during the climb.
Right when we were climbing up out of Paradise Valley the southeastern skies were a beautiful red hue. As I got up onto the summit cone and bare rock the sky started changing to yellows mixed with the reds. Only 100 yards to the top and Kim said “Dad, its here!” and I turned to see the sun peeking up over the horizon. I found myself torn between wanting to get higher up to take in as much as possible or just standing there just reflecting on the awesome beauty and privilege that has been granted to us and all of the true meaning of Easter. I did a bit of both and probably hiked most of the rest of the climb backwards to the summit. As Kim and Chris reached the top I took some hurried shots of them gazing back at the splendid sight. Several were silhouetted in a sea of red skies.
The wind was so strong we quickly hunkered down in the corner at the top to savor some dark Dove chocolate which has become the celebratory treat for reaching any summit. Especially fitting to eat fine chocolate on Easter summits, along with some hot chocolate from the thermos to wash it down! ;) We soon headed back down full of new vigor from adrenaline and the sugar high, meeting just two solo hikers before the valley. When we got back to the upper junction we chose our path down and changed over to crampons for the icy descent.
White Cross can be wet but today it was icy with cascading ice flows down over many of the rocky sections. This was Kim’s first time on crampons, which she referred to as “Freaky” traction. Many things get this adjective lately but I would say it was in approval for the crampons as we nearly ran down the ice flows. Her approval was further confirmed when she asked, “Dad, how much does a pair of these cost?” With the right gear and trail moments come the inquiring questions from Kim that lead to the next challenge. Less than two years ago Kim was standing out as far as possible on Lion’s Head and said to me “Dad, I want to rock climb someday!” Today I can keep up to her but I’m not certain about tomorrow. Youthful stamina would be a more valuable commodity if you get it in time-release form.
We were down in the smell of the spruces before we were met by the ascending masses chirping comments like – “Oh you early risers!” and “Are there any jelly beans on top?” To which Chris quickly replied, “There were but we ate them all!” :D We were on the road by 8:30 A.M. headed home to cook ham n’ eggs along with French toast for everybody that had enjoyed sleeping in. Thank you Kim and Chris for sharing a beautiful journey with me! :)

Pictures are here if my first Webshots link is successful!
http://community.webshots.com/user/DaveBear61
Or slideshow.
http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/562887402qtFxpX

Breathtaking Sunrise Pics

Awesome photos! Very inspiring.....I've been suggesting a sunrise/sunset hike to my partner for a while now. He thinks I'm joking. I'll show him your slide-show.
Thanks for sharing,
Kath

Dave,

Beautiful report and beautiful pictures! You make me want to start an Easter Tradition of my own. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Valerie