Mt. Martha/Owls Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Took the route up Owls head, it was a fantastic trail, pretty much straight up. I liked the way it emerged directly onto the summit ledge. From there it's across the ridge on "Martha's Mile" to the summit of Mt. Martha. A former fire tower site that has grown over considerably. There is a side path off to the east that comes to a nice little ledge with great views towards the Franconia Range and points east as well. I decided to descend the Cherry mt trail and do the road walk back. I had failed to clock the distance on the drive over and it turned out to be further than I thought, but hey training miles never hurt. Saw one person near the end. This is a nice hike. #10 for our third round of the 52wav list. P.S. The view from Owls Head over to the presidential range is magnificent.

I can commiserate on the long walk back, I also did that one hot day and decided I would spot a bike. Fast forward to this summer when I spotted my Ebike on hot day aroudn July 4th. Great idea for about 2/3rd of the way and I got a flat. Luckilly it was a downhill walk from there.

The Cherry Mountain Slide used to be major tourist attraction for the Waumbek Hotel. I missed the old route by few years, that relocation around the woods before it finally gets on the former route is nothing special.

I miss the days of thumbing to get back to your vehicle. Use to be part of the adventure.

I miss the days of thumbing to get back to your vehicle. Use to be part of the adventure.
I do too, haven't hitchhiked in many years. I actually considered sticking my thumb out at one point, but I am trying get in shape for my winter peaks, so I just enjoyed the walk. The first part was really nice, the views west are absolutely fantastic, I got a telephoto picture of the Mountain View Grand hotel in Whitefield from the height of the land.

I actually considered sticking my thumb out at one point, but I am trying get in shape for my winter peaks, so I just enjoyed the walk.
Seriously? With the amount of hiking you do I suspect you're already plenty ready for Winter..... :p