Mt Pisgah, Northboro MA 3/11/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
After a mostly fruitless day of trying to climb peaks with new subdivisions on them, the PeakMaster suggested Mt Pisgah in Northboro MA. I had already climbed 9 Pisgahs in 7 states and was sort of a Pisgah expert so I agreed. Not having planned to be there he hadn't brought a trail map, and there being only a couple left at the kiosk he wanted to leave them for others as he thought he could find his way without one after previous visits. I mostly wandered in a daze as the terrain was too flat to even tell where the summit was much of the time. To avoid this problem, get the map in advance from http://www.sudburyvalleytrustees.org/sites/default/files/MountPisgah.pdf

There are signs at most junctions of blazed trails but they just give the name of the trail and not where it goes which is why the map is important. Some signs are missing and there are many obvious paths with no blazes or signs however. We first went to the North View which has a view to the E centered on the black water tower on Sligo Hill, the high point of Marlborough. Then we went to the summit where the survey marker is for the MA Dept. of Public Works while the 3 reference marks are all from the US Coast and Geodetic Survey. The last point of interest was the South View which was also centered on Sligo Hill. Our loop brought us back to the car about 3 miles later.

A note at the trailhead said sludge dumping was occurring on some of the highest land in Berlin so we drove N to check it out, but it was well below the ridgeline so peakbaggers needn't worry about hiking in sludge.

There are a lot of Pisgah's aren't there. ;)
I think I've only been on 3 in 3 states, incl this one in MA, but I've seen numerous others.

Mt Pisgah - My playground

I'm sorry your experience was not all that it should have been. I've lived in Northboro since I was ten and Mt Pisgah was my playground as a child and to this day I still enjoy hiking in that area and occasionally runnning the trails as well. Over the last few years Northboro and the surrounding towns have done a wonderful job developing an extensive trail system.

John

I'm sorry your experience was not all that it should have been. ...Over the last few years Northboro and the surrounding towns have done a wonderful job developing an extensive trail system.
I just felt silly feeling lost in suburbia when in the mountains the terrain makes it easy to navigate - and the more trails they build, the harder it is to know which one to take :)

The PeakMaster actually first climbed Mt Pisgah from the E before there were any trails, now that side is houses