Need three hike recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
At the end of September, I am doing a 4-day backpack in Baxter State Park. It will be pretty easy for mileage, with most days only being 5-6 miles. The hike will be a loop going counter-clockwise from the main parking area up to some ponds north of the mountain, and then south over Hamlin Peak and Katahdin, down to Chimney Pond and out. I will be carrying a lot of weight for this (probably between 50 and 60 lbs). 4 weekends before that, I will be doing a simple day hike of Chocorua up Champney Falls and back, with about the same weight load.

What I need are 3 "step-up" hikes in between. I would like them all to be 2-day trips, preferably with the mileage not too high (6-9 miles) and with the bulk of the elevation gain on the 2nd day. The best I have been able to come up with so far:
1. Something up to the low 4000s, such as South Kinsman via Eliza Pond Shelter, Moriah via Imp Campsite, Cabot via Unknown Pond Campsite, or Isolation via Rocky Branch Shelter. None of these hikes are completely optimal though as far as mileage. Some of them are too little mileage on one of the days, or too much mileage one one of the days. The Cabot one looks the closest to being what I was aiming for, however I am also concerned about the road that accesses the trailhead. This road (York Pond Rd I think) is marked on my map as having a gate that closes at 4pm each day. Which means that if I get down on the 2nd day after 4pm, I'm trapped until the next day, I think.
2. Something in the mid-4000s, such as Garfield via Garfield campsite, or Mt Hight via Spruce Brook Shelter. The problem with the Garfield one is that you do almost all the elevation gain to get to the campsite, and the problem with the Mt Hight one is that the mileage on day 2 is over 12 miles. I haven't really looked much in this range yet, and there may be better options. Off the top of my head, perhaps Wildcat coming into the notch and using the tent area near the hut (it's not marked on my map but I've seen people using it).
3. Something in the upper 4000s to low 5000 range. I really have no idea yet for this. I think the higher peaks like Adams/Jefferson/Washington are still going to prove too difficult.

You could try something like the Hancocks. It's about 4 ish easy miles to the base of the mountain where there are plenty of places to camp legally. Then it's a steep climb up to the ridge of well under a mile. Ridge is easy followed by another step descent of under one mile. The rest of the hiking is easy, moderate. Water is nearby most of the time but not on the ridge, and if needed, you can leave most of your weight at the tent site and get it on the way out avoiding the need to take it up the steep parts. Overall, this is a 10 mile hike with all the challenge in climbing to the ridge. Steep, not technical, short.

Carrigain has options as well if you hike through Carrigain Notch, camp on the backside, and hike up and over the very step desolation trail and out the Signal Ridge on day 2. This allows most of the elevation gain on day 2. This is a fantastic route IMO. 13 ish miles total. Desolation trail is the ultimate stair master climb.

Good luck.

PS. search the forums for info on the gate at The fish hatchery near Cabot. All sorts of good info has been posted on that gate and it's hours. Sometimes it is closed and not locked. It is rarely locked in my experience. Check for recent info on this though.

Last edited:
To the OP, the thoughts that came to my mind based on your specs were these:

1. Do a loop of Garfield and Galehead, staying overnight at Garfield tentsite. You get two peaks plus the rugged workout of the Garfield Ridge Trail, with a reasonable amount of elevation gain in the neighborhood of your needs;

2. Do a longer two day loop of Franconia Ridge, Liberty and Flume day one, tenting at Liberty Spring and hitting the two southern 4Ks, then traversing Lincoln and Lafayette day two, with Falling Waters Trail as a bailout option.

3. Do a big Moosilauke loop. From Ravine Lodge up Asquam Ridge - tag Mt. Jim and Mt. Blue on the way and overnight at Beaver Brook shelter/tentsite, hitting the summit via Beaver Brook and then South Peak via Carriage Road and spur day two then circling back to point of beginning via Snapper or Hurricane as you see fit. Meets your distance and elevation gain specs and makes for great hiking.

4. Jackson Pierce Loop, tenting at Nauman, with an optional spur trip to Ike via Crawford and the very pleasant and relatively gentle descent down Crawford at the end.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good options, to boot - maybe up Caps Ridge, a stay at an RMC site on the north slope and some touring of Jeff, Adams and Madison, as well.

Last edited: