Passaconaway via Walden Tr, with Bear Encounter 6/15/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbagger

Reaction score
Trails: Wonalancet Range Tr to Walden Tr to Passaconaway summit. Down Dicey's Mill to East Loop. Over to Walden, down to Square Ledge Tr. Square Ledge Tr over Square Ledge to 4-way junction near Paugus Pass. Old Mast Rd back to Wonalancet.

Conditions: All trails in good shape. Square Ledge Tr is a little hard to follow in places, a little overgrown in others, but it was recently cleared of blowdowns. (Thanks!)

Equipment: Boots and poles.

Bears: I came upon a full-grown black bear nosing through the leaves at the side of the trail, on Old Mast Rd about a mile from the trailhead, at around 7PM. He didn't notice me standing ~100 feet away, so I clacked my poles together. He looked up. We stared at each other for maybe 10 seconds. It occurs to me that locking gazes is a sign of aggression, so I look away for a few seconds. When I looked back he turned and loped off into the woods. I was glad for the mellow encounter, because I had hiked 10 miles and 4000+ feet and was in no mood to fend off a bear attack. :)

Chocorua / East Sandwich Range: 63.5% Trails, 59.8% Miles