Presi Traverse and Pemi Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
I will be vacationing in the Whites on 7/7 through 7/14 with my wife based in Lincoln at the Pollard Brook Resort. I have been granted permission to do a solo Presi Traverse and I am grateful for the opportunity and look forward to the challenge. The date will be determined by the weather forecast the day before so this will be a last minute arrangement. Anyone seriously interested in going with me, please send me a PM. I am fit and expect to do the traverse in under 12 hours so there won't be much downtime lounging on summits.

I am also hoping to sneak in a Pemi Loop day hike, again weather dependent, although I need to seek spousal approval. Let me know if you would like to give it a try and I will let you know if I was given clearance.

One last question: Regarding the Presi and the Pemi, are there any localized cell signal blackout spots on these routes for Verizon Wireless service on an iPhone4s? Just planning the commmunication blackouts so my wife doesn't panic and I can plan where not to get hurt. :D

Your feedback is always appreciated.

Last edited:
One last question: Regarding the Presi and the Pemi, are there any localized cell signal blackout spots on these routes for Verizon Wireless service on an iPhone4s? Just planning the commmunication blackouts so my wife doesn't panic and I can plan where not to get hurt. :D

I remember having pretty good service as low down as Nauman Tentsite and the only other place I had my phone out on the range was Washington and there was service there (in good weather, of course) so I would imagine it's spotty but you'll have your chances. Don't quote me on that and certainly don't rely on it...

I think Verizon has the best service of the major carriers in the more remote areas. Once you're up on the ridge, you should have service for the most part. Down in valleys / wooded areas maybe not. Either way not something to rely on, but chances are good for making a call up above treeline both places. Personally I'd keep the phone off to save batteries and enjoy the wilderness, turning it on to check in or in case of an emergency.

Pine link is a great trail; it gets very little traffic and has nice viewpoints. If you're feeling especially ambitious, you can actual park on Promenade street in Gorham, and take the Pine Mountain trail up Pine Mountain (1600 ft, 2.7 miles), and then walk down the mountain on the private road to Horton Center (maybe two miles, 800ft downhill). The Pine link trailhead is almost exactly opposite the trail / road up Pine Mountain. Pine Mountain has some nice views itself and is a neat place to visit.

As far as Pine Link though, it's strenuous; probably the most strenuous of typical routes up Madison other than coming up from the Great Gulf. Even though the elevation gain is moderate, it has a bunch of very steep sections, followed by almost flat sections. The footing is mostly gentle and it's in good shape. It can be buggy since moose use the trail too. Once you meet with the Howker ridge, you have a few more Howks to climb, more great views and it's also pretty strenuous. I don't know whether I'd want to start a really long day with such a tough ascent. The Howker ridge trail is alright but between the two Pine Link is more fun and interesting; there's also a bunch of active logging near the start of Howker ridge. On the other hand it does pass by some neat waterfalls.

Last edited:
Presi Traverse tomorrow 7/11

5:30am start from Appalachia TH. The weather will be perfect! PM me if you want to go - shooting for 12 hours including Jackson.

I completed the full Presi traverse yesterday in fantastic weather conditions. I will post a trip report when I get home. What a great experience, a must do on anyone's hiking bucket list. Met some interesting people and one mountain running icon. Lots of photos too!

Congrats Eddie!

You were looking strong the last time I saw you, zipping up Mt. Clay. I look forward to reading how the rest of your PT went - what a stellar day!
EdUpperSlopesJefferson_0647.jpg

Eddie Charging Up The Summit Loop, Mount Jefferson