Renewed in Mind and Spirit, Solo Backpack to Wild River Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
My pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/572779799FbkXbv?vhost=community
The Plan:
Saturday May 30th at 3pm: Backpack solo into Blue Brook Shelter on the Basin Trail from Wild River Campground with an overnight, day hike on Sunday up to West Royce Mtn, back to the campsite, pickup camp and backpack out Sunday afternoon.

I was really torn about what to do with my weekend. I had a shooting match I could go to on Sunday to get ready for the next big Tri-State Championship match I have this weekend or I could go on a solo backpack trip which I haven't done in 5 years. Guess what won out. You bet, I really needed a little less stress in my life and this little outing was going to do the trick, I hoped.;)
Headed into the woods around 3pm after waiting for a shower to stop. The sun had come out and I was really enjoying a leisurely pace as I took in all the sights, sounds and smells I could possibly handle. It was so relaxing to just stop whenever I felt like, look at flowers, animals, trees, moss on rocks, raindrops dripping from leaves. I took quite a few pictures as I trundled along my merry way. The sun was peaking through the forest and raising my spirits to a new level. I hardly even noticed the weight of the pack on my back. :D

You see, this is one of my favorite places in New Hampshire. I come here time and again. I used to hike my pack goats up here in 2003-2005. My old friend Joe Green (who has passed on now) and I used to come here with all our pack goats for some great outings. I always enjoy the serenity of this area. My brother first introduced it to me in 1999 on a backpacking trip:). Whenever I need to get away, I come here. There are very few people who hike the area and I can get alot of trail to myself. In fact, on this trip I only saw a father and son at a trail intersection and that was it for the entire trip (at least on the trail).

Anyways, as I got close to the Blue Brook crossing I got excited because I knew what lay ahead. Cascades and waterfalls galore with a great cliff rising above the brook. :DI worked my way up along the trail, gaining elevation as I went. I stepped off the trail a few times on little herd paths to check out the brooks many treasures. On one of these side trips I was taking a photo and the camera battery compartment opened and this very expensive single battery for the camera I borrowed fell out into one of the pools of water. :(I threw down my pack, the ledges were wet and greasy so I grabbed a branch and back my way down to the pool and retrieved the battery, After drying it off, I re-inserted it and all was well. Thank goodness. :eek:

Soon coming to a trail intersection at 1.8 miles, I took a right onto a short .3 mile branch path that leads up to Blue Brook Shelter and camping area. The shelter and double platform were taken by boy scouts who were on a preparatory backpack trip to hone there skills for a big 10 day backpack trip out at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. My son went there in 2003 and claims it the best trip he's ever been on and he's been to Hawaii once and Mexico's Yucatan Pennisula 3 times. So, those boys are in for an experience. Well, with them here that left me few options but I found a fairly flat spot in-between alot of moose droppings and pitched my tent. Well I know who uses these trails NOW, let me tell you that it's the moose.

After pitching my tent, I headed over to the falls to get some water and enjoy the late afternoon sun beating down on the ledges above the falls.:cool: I was getting a bit hungry so I headed back to the tent for some chicken pot pie and picked up my Louis Lamour book for bit of relaxing reading. I'm not sure I didn't spend more time just staring at the sun peaking through the tree canopy, though. I had come down with a good old cold the day before which was beginning to wear on me so I hung my food up in a bear bag and hit the hay just as dark fell. The scouts had gone to bed early too thanks to a night hike the night before which had tired them right out. I decided to try something new this year instead on my Staytek 2 inch mattress and my Z-rest mattress. I never got a very comfortable night sleep so here was my new plan, on trial. I had gone to Walmart and picked up a $6.00 air mattress for use on water. It weighed less than 2 lbs. and had 4 inch round pockets of air throughout. The neon pink color was a bit much but I blew it up in no time and plopped down for some zzzzzs. Let me tell you, it was the most comfortable night I have had in the woods in a long time. :D It may not be a Big Agnes, but you can't beat the price if your on a budget. (which I am right now as my competition shooting hobby is expensive). I am definitely taking this on my backpack trip to Baxter!

Got up at 6am, had a leisurely breakfast, packed my day pack which is the lid to my new Osprey pack and headed out around 7:45am for West Royce Mountain. It's on a list, hey I had to do something with Sunday. Right! :p
Boy was I in for a treat. After about 1/2 a mile I got to Rim Junction. I was a bit embarrassed here when I was caught by the father and son putting on my reading glasses to read the map. Oh, to get older, not fun. Anyway, the grade increased as I headed up the .2 miles to the turn off for the Basin Rim Trail. I turned toward a nearby viewpoint to get some pics and wow the views over the basin were fantastic:cool:, surrounded by mountain ridges on 3 sides. I took one photo with a borrowed camera and damn if I didn't run out of memory. ARRRgh. I sat there for like 15 minutes taking in the views and trying to figure out how to delete unwanted photos but to no avail. I put the camera away and headed back to the Basin Rim Trail 1300 ft climb and 300 ft. loss I would make along the way.

I was not feeling to good with the cold blocking up my head, coughing and a running nose to boot but I took it slow and used my time wisely picking up alot of branches along the trail and a few small trees as well. This was my excuse for a slow pace and hey, I was giving a little back to the trails I enjoy so much. There are about 4 trees that need to be reomoved from the tree, requiring a folding saw, just to note. Little herd paths go around, under or over them now. The grade was steady, the path interesting. I did not appreciate letting elevation go on a regular basis as there seemed to be alot of PUD'S (Pointless ups and downs) on this trail. I ran across several false summits before approaching what I felt must truly be the summit with a nice ledge and view of the basin. My guess was right as just ahead I saw signs that said 2.5 miles back to the Rim Junction which I knew from the map meant I was at the summit. Note to Dave Bear: I need an Altimeter for my Birthday, PLEASE!!! ;)There was no summit sign or cairn. But I knew I was there so I sat down, soaked in the sun and ate my Peanut Butter Raisin Bagel, a Pay Day Candy bar and lots of water. Must have spent a good 20 minutes there, just relaxing and enjoying the views. Had the place to myself today. AHHHH!

The weather had been holding out but the winds had picked up and the clouds were building and changing and shifting to varying shades of grey so I decided to hit the trail and head on back to the campsite. My lifted spirits and more downhill on the return enabled me to enjoy a more lifely pace. I saw a spruce grouse sitting on a branch as I turned a corner, a garter snake crossed my path and I swear a moose was in front of me somewhere just down the trail for quite a while. I don't even know how they got through some of those sections of trail. Some of this trail required some tricky foot and hand work in a couple of places, nothing difficult just interesting. I wanted to be careful, especially on wet ledges as to not fall or twist an ankle coming down, especially as I was alone today. Got back to the campsite just as a shower was beginning around 1:15pm and 6.2 miles from my start. I decided to take a little nap, you know..... to verify the new mattress idea indeed works well. Yep, it did.

When I got up the sky looked no better, maybe worse and I decided I was just going to have to pickup camp in the drizzle. That done, I barely got the pack cover on and it began raining steadily. I hit the trail knowing I wanted to get down and across the Blue Brook crossing before the water rose too much. I am not that fond of water crossings anyway. I was happy to see most of the rocks still barely above the water when I got there and the rain had settled to a drizzle and finally stopped. The sun came out again and it was as pleasant a hike out as in, except I was wet from the pants down this time. I didn't care though. It's all part of the backpacking experience. Take it as it comes I say and enjoy every durn minute of it. That, I did and I can't wait to get back out there again. I now remember how much I enjoyed this backpacking business my brother introduced me to in 97'. This was not a high mileage, many mountains summited weekend, but I did get 5 miles in with the backpack and 6.2 miles and a summit squeezed into my little get away and most of all I regained my prospective on life and a refreshed sole and spirit to tackle the many stressors in my life right now.:D:
This was a meaningful outing for me. Hope to see you all on the trails real soon. Sunshine Chris