scat id help, please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
bearscat.jpg

This was near the Nanamocomuck Trail, east of Bear Notch Rd. I can't seem to find a good scat guide that gives sizes, but it resembles a few different animals. It's 13" long and about 1.5" diameter.

Any recommended online guides?

happy trails :)

WOW! Thats a huge sucker! My guess is that it is a LARGE coyote. The book I have here is "The Complete Tracker" by Len McDougall, and in it coyote scat is noted as being 3-4 inches long and 1" in diamtere, but I gather from the text he may be focusing on the western coyote (which tends to be smaller than our coyotes.) Seeing the hair in there (thus noting it was a carnivoure) the Coyote is the biggest carnivore we have here in the state.

So thats my best guess. If it makes you feel any better Mountain Lion scat is noted in the book as being smaller than what we see here. :D

Brian

My 2 cents

After studying Rezendes book, I'd say you've got eastern coyote. Rezendes says coyote scat ranges from 1/4 to 1 5/16" while wolf scat ranges from 1/2" to 1 7/8". It exceeds diameters he cites for coyote scat diameters, but only larger diameter than that would be wolf, but we know there are no wolves in Whites. Could be a bob cat. He goes on at length diameter ranges with many photographs with rulers for scale. He says cats frequently bury their scats or at least prepare shallow holes. He says coyote poops exhibit great variation depending on what's in season fruit wise and what stage they're at in eating a carcass. When they first go at a carcass their poop will be dark and black and when they get to the less desirable parts scat will have more hair. Bear is the only other large mammal with scat approaching this size, but bear scat seems to be mainly round and chunky, not long and tapered like this. He also mentions winter coyote scat as having twisted appearance which yours has. Get Mrs. Santa to work and order this book!!! :D

hmmm...actually this was segmented into three pieces. The first piece on the left may really belong in the middle. The left end of the middle piece looks to be tapered.

At Sardog1's suggestion, I'm going to retrieve it for further inspection.

Jazzbo said:
After studying Rezendes book, I'd say you've got eastern coyote. Rezendes says coyote scat ranges from 1/4 to 1 5/16" while wolf scat ranges from 1/2" to 1 7/8". It exceeds diameters he cites for coyote scat diameters, but only larger diameter than that would be wolf, but we know there are no wolves in Whites. Could be a bob cat. He goes on at length diameter ranges with many photographs with rulers for scale. He says cats frequently bury their scats or at least prepare shallow holes. He says coyote poops exhibit great variation depending on what's in season fruit wise and what stage they're at in eating a carcass. When they first go at a carcass their poop will be dark and black and when they get to the less desirable parts scat will have more hair. Bear is the only other large mammal with scat approaching this size, but bear scat seems to be mainly round and chunky, not long and tapered like this. He also mentions winter coyote scat as having twisted appearance which yours has. Get Mrs. Santa to work and order this book!!! :D

Will do, Jazzbo! Thanks. I will have a better description of this scat soon. Will post an update.

Not only does it look like coyote, but on the trail would be a likely spot for coyote scat. Is it possible you have two scats, maybe two coyotes trying to mark the same territory? Or two visits by the same coyote?

Also, did you find it on the duff like that or was it by any chance originally on a rock?

It also helps in identification to break the scat up. The hair is obvious but was their any bone fragments? If their was were they large or small?

Keith

Yes, I often do break up the scat to check the diet. I have found bone and claw chips in scat in the past.

I retreived this scat, but it's now frozen. The diameter is more like 1.25". When it thaws, I'll check the contents.

cushetunk said:
Not only does it look like coyote, but on the trail would be a likely spot for coyote scat. Is it possible you have two scats, maybe two coyotes trying to mark the same territory? Or two visits by the same coyote?

Also, did you find it on the duff like that or was it by any chance originally on a rock?

scatb.jpg

Here's a shot of it before I straightened it out to show length. Apparently, the little piece belongs at an end, and not in the middle, since the two big pices are attached.

It was not on a rock. Who is it that often does it on a rock?

I noticed no sign of any attemp to bury it, as I understand all cats do.

Sardog, sorry to get you excited :eek: I've just learned a little more about scat id. Segmetation and signs of burial or important clues.

The contents show only white hair and little seeds. One notable fact remains: it is 13" long! Would that relate to size of the coyote or quantity of diet, or both?

Sardog, check your pm for a description of sign that was definately not coyote.

The dimensions of the scat in question are probably a product of both his size and the size of his last meal. I say "his" because female coyotes, even our Northeastern "something," are usually smaller than this scat connotes.

Many canids will mark territory occasionally by dropping a load on a rock. There's a big, bold coyote hereabouts that does it regularly on our dog-walking trail, just to send our companions a message. (He once stood in a field and stared right at me while I held the smaller of our Malinois in check. Then he went back to hunting mice.)

Mustelids will also do it.