South and Middle Moat, July 13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I was going to hike to The Bonds until I found a little dog wandering on the Kancamagus. I could not find the owners so I brought him all the back to Conway Humane Society. Plans changed to The Moats.

Cow wheat near the slide below the first ledges...

moatsjuly13.jpg

The blueberries are plump and abundant and irresistable. There is a darker species which I recall as bitter so I did not try them.

I haven't identified this one yet, growing at the bottom of the ledges...

moatsjuly13-4.jpg

tiger lilies(?) growing near the ledges...

moatsjuly13-5.jpg

meadow sweet... ( I was having a hard time with focus )

moatsjuly13-6.jpg

This very scary looking wasp or hornet(?) was on the summit of South Moat..

moatsjuly13-3.jpg

A garter snake had recently shed it's skin quite cleanly (arranged for clarity) over on Middle Moat.

moatsjuly13-2.jpg

A large garter snake was having a tough time travelling on the basalt ledges where it was soaking up rays...

moatsjuly13-1.jpg

For good measure, a baby fox near an old barn on Passaconaway Rd...

moats-july-109.jpg

The little dog had been picked up by his humans by the time I got back. :D

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Nice! Just FYI, darker blueberries are generally only tart if they're small...if they're larger, they'll likely be fine (if not a bit smushy). Not to be confused with dog berries, of course.

Awesome shots!

Great shots and very happy story about the little dog. Good work!

#3 is Wood Lily Lilium philadelphicum

I just saw the insect somewhere on one of these forums. In somebody's trip report or something. Now I can't think of where it was or what it was called. Tough getting old!

Edit: It's a Saw Fly, still can't remember where else I saw it or give you a latin name.

The butterfly on the Meadow Sweet is a Clouded Sulphur Colias philodice.

KDT

Last edited: