Switzerland and many view from the top...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
3/10/2011-3/27/2011
Switzerland Adventure

3/10/11- 3/16/2011 Zurich-St Moritz-Zernez to Meet up with Nepal trekking friends and watch Urs compete in Engadin Ski Marathon Race
3/16/11-3/19/11 Zernez- Schaffhausen Meet up with Nepal Guide and explore area
3/19/11-3/26/11 Schaffhausen – Zermatt to hike and ski

I was invited to Switzerland by my friends that I met on my Nepal Trek. It was an invitation I couldn’t turn down….A little history of the areas I was visiting.

In 1928 St. Moritz hosted the 1928 Winter Olympic Games and the stadium still stands today. It later hosted the 1948 Winter Olympic Games and over 30 Engadin Ski Marathons since 1978. It has also hosted many other events since, including some unlikely ones on the frozen lake in the 1970s and 1980s such as a golf tournament, (1979), a polo tournament (every year in February starting in 1985) and cricket (1989). St. Moritz has also been the venue for many Sailing and Windsurfing World Championships. Since the registration of a new trademark by the tourist office in 1987, St. Moritz is also known as Top of the World.

The Morteratsch Glacier was a well worth the hike from the train station with the cold blue ice cave. Posts marked to show each year’s receding amount.

Then the evening of fine dining at El Paradiso at 2181m (7155 ft) Alpine hut and authentic regional gourmet cuisine was amazing and the sunset views…. They also had an Iglu Village.

Then off to Schaffhausen, in the very North of Switzerland the old portion of the city has many fine Renaissance era buildings decorated with exterior frescos and sculpture, as well as the impressive old canton fortress, the Munot. A train runs out of town to the nearby Rhine Falls in Neuhausen am Rheinfall, Europe's Largest waterfall, a tourist attraction.
Schaffhausen is located in a finger of Swiss territory surrounded on three sides by Germany. On April 1, 1944, Schaffhausen suffered a bombing raid by United States Army Air Forces aircraft which strayed from German airspace into neutral Switzerland. About a hundred civilians were killed;[6] the United States immediately offered a million dollars in reparations. (wasn’t so sure how I would be greeted after being told the History of US here)? So much history and beautiful buildings and castles, even enjoyed lunch in a castle and a rainbow over the Rhine Falls.

Then packed and off by train to Zermatt, one of my favorite places ever!! A no car Village!
Arrived in Zermatt Sat and it was snowing, yeah!! Sunday we rented skis and took gondola up to do a hike at high elevation.
Full sun and warm temps, hardly any wind, it was a perfect week of skiing!
One advanced area run was just below the Matterhorn and had bumps and fast sharp corners, much fun dodging fallen skiers..
The ski run from the Klein Matterhorn to Zermatt is 8 ml and 7250 ft of varied terrain. As the week went by, it because quite fun with soft bumps and hard crust at different points and many laughs as tired skiers took some interesting dumps! It was a blast at the end of everyday to ski all the way back down to Zermatt Village where buses waited to take you to the bars and hotels..this became a ritual where we would meet our friends at a bar around the corner form our Hotel..It was on our way…..
We had to be careful as avalanche danger was high, we heard many break…5 people died while we were there, close by to where we were skiing and one is still buried not found yet.
We also skied over to the Italian slopes of Cervina where we stopped at the hut and had Pasta bolognaise and drinks on the sunny porch looking down at Italy. We could see Mont Blanc and many high peaks.. The Italian area was less steep and well groomed but we made a bunch of fast runs and enjoyed the area.

So after a complete circle of Switzerland and much fine wine, Swiss Chocolate, Breads, fondue, Grappa, Kirsch, and wonderful friends I return to US for a beautiful April 1st snowstorm!! :D

I know many pics as always form me....so I put them in 3 links for your viewing pleasure..:eek: I hope you enjoy!

Link to Zermatt pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hikerd...authkey=Gv1sRgCLur6pW2vNr-5wE&feat=directlink

Link to St Moritz/Engadin Ski Marathon pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hikerd...authkey=Gv1sRgCKiEy-eUpMerswE&feat=directlink

Link to Schaffhausen pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hikerd...authkey=Gv1sRgCPTwqODLluKfuAE&feat=directlink

Thanks for the Rhein Falls picture. We were there in 1998. Went through Switzerland via Julier Pass & Lenzerhide (spelling is off I think)

Thanks for the Rhein Falls picture. We were there in 1998. Went through Switzerland via Julier Pass & Lenzerhide (spelling is off I think)

It is a beautiful area and the falls are so nice! My friends live there...so hoping to make a return visit!!

Nice trip.

Your pics of the Zermatt area brought back some memories of my visit in 1979.

Doug

Gotta love Zermatt!! What time of Year were you there..??

Wicked awesome, Darlene! Will check out all pics once I get back on my office computer. I am getting psyched for my upcoming month there this July/August.

Thanks Dr D, ..Now I've been in winter and late June...now I want to go in summer too...one of my favorite areas!!! Any plans yet lined up for hikes??

Darl58,
I'm hiking the Haute Route from mid June until I arrive in Zermatt on June 30th. I've got a couple of days in Zermatt. I'll climb over many high passes that will be up to 9800 feet. I expect snow fields up high. This is a little early for the Haute Route but we'll avoid the summer crowds. What would you say the snow pack was during your visit? Was it normal?
Thanks

Darl58,
I'm hiking the Haute Route from mid June until I arrive in Zermatt on June 30th. I've got a couple of days in Zermatt. I'll climb over many high passes that will be up to 9800 feet. I expect snow fields up high. This is a little early for the Haute Route but we'll avoid the summer crowds. What would you say the snow pack was during your visit? Was it normal?
Thanks

Tim, Its a low snow year which will be a benefit for you but you'll definitly hit some soft snow as you get into Zermatt..and over the higher elevations lots of snow.

Some of the huts and tea houses may not be open 100% yet either...just a heads up. :rolleyes: But you can always hike down to villages....

Snow was all the way down into town when we left but sunnier days and warm weather...should melt it pretty fast.
Enjoy!!!

That was my plan 2 years ago but a friend bailed last minute so I had to change my plans.:cool: I was in Zermatt 2 years ago during same timeframe.

Tim,

There are a few areas where there always is snow, mainly on the east side of passes. If you are planning to cross the Glacier de Cheilon (from the Cabane des Dix to one of the passes going to Arolla) you might bring microspikes; in 2005 I found it rather slippery while in 2008 I had no need for spikes.

If you are doing the standard trip (what I call "The Gospel according to Saint Kev" ;)) you should know that his book is available as an eBook, readable on the iPad (sorry, no Kindle version yet available).

If you are interested in planning something less cookie cutter standard you might get some ideas from my web site, Walkers Haute Route, Chamonix to Zermatt, specifically the section Chamonix to Zermatt: Choosing a route.

Mohamed,
I have Kev's book, the 2007 version, and he offers different routes for some stages. I am crossing the Glacier de Cheilon and then will climb the 70' of ladders bolted to the cliff face, to the Pas de Chevre. There is an alternate way around to the Col de Reidmatten although I hear it described as loose grit. Scree?
What dates were you there in 2005 and 2008?
Sounds like the snow is less than usual so that may improve things.

Darl58,
Any problems with snow when I climb to the Hornli Hut (10,700') on the Matterhorn on July 2nd?

Tim,

Of the three cols leading to Arolla (the third is the delightful Col des Ignes, mentioned in no guidebook) I found the Col de Riedmatten by far yje most unpleasant (OK, it was the only one I did on a rainy day). It is very steep and slippery, loose grit on top of something that looks and feels like shale, and is very slippery when wet.

The ladders are really not scary, so I would definitely recommend the Pas de Chevres over the Col de Riedmatten.

Both the 2005 and 2008 crossing were in late July.

pics

beautiful pics

my mom is currently painting a scene from her trip to Switzerland a few years back (her fave plave to visit)

i may have to 'steal' one of yours for her to use a painting subject

abrazos... :)

Darl58,
Any problems with snow when I climb to the Hornli Hut (10,700') on the Matterhorn on July 2nd?

Tim, The Hornli Hut wasn't open until July 2rd -2 years ago when I was there. I had to wait for it to open for my Matterhorn attempt and then it was too early for a summit bid. The ice melt was still dropping major rocks down on us while climbing and the last summit pitch was too sketchy for us to go...

Its a little too early for climbing on the Matterhorn, it was still getting fresh snow each night when I was there. The hut crew was just starting to shovel out a safe track to the Hornli as we were hiking up to it. There were some fixed ropes for the icy sections but they were under snow...

Maybe you will luck out and the snow will be gone, 2 weeks ago it was still snowing up at that elevation evenings. We would wake up and see fresh snow on it.................they have low snow quanities this year but that Mountain gathers snow when nothing else around it does...very much like Washington. Every afternoon the clouds would roll in around 2-3:00...

I wish you best of luck and perhaps you'll hit it right! :D

Just remember it'll still be there if conditions aren't right....I'll be back!!;)