The Percy Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Me and my dog Shay hit the Percy's for our second time, this puts us at #38 for our second round of the 52wav list. We ended up descending the Percy loop trail which coincides with the Coos trail for a stretch. That was much better than the out and back we did last year on the Percy peaks trail, which is steep and rough in sections. The peaks themselves are just a blast to climb, if you haven't been on these two, you really need to get up there. Nash stream road is mint and the trails are in excellent shape all around. They are fairly rough in spots, but nothing anyone in this group would struggle with. The Percy loop trails had an extremely generous footbed and descends a beautiful valley at a forgiving grade. The trees and fauna in that valley are amazing and you have water the whole way in the form of healthy flowing brooks. A one mile road walk closes out the loop, but even that is pretty nice.

My experience (and I am short, slow, and in my 60s) was that I found myself on top of North Percy wondering how I got up there so fast. After we descended, we headed north toward the Trio Trail, and then took another trail (can't remember the name back to the road. In the Nash Stream Forest, even the road walks are nice! Just like you said! Cohos Trail is my retirement plan (someday!).

Next time you need to do the Underhill Route, incredible views but very exposed open slabs and dangerous on a wet day,( the reason they closed it)

I loved that loop and I think I recall blueberries on South Percy. Maybe a regular can confirm that. It was kind of hazy so I should probably go back and do that one on a clear day. Shay must be pretty nimble if he descended the Percy Peaks Trail the first time. I had a better view on the day I did Sugarloaf, just up the road, but Percy Peaks is a more interesting hike. The peaks have a nice profile from a distance too.

Yes there are blueberries on South Percy and some on North Percy. South Percy used to be visited a lot less often so better picking.

Rumford Whitecap has far more berries and worth visiting but the extra 1 hour drive from Mass makes it a stretch for most Mass folks. Worry not the Maine locals tend to make up for it.

Next time you need to do the Underhill Route, incredible views but very exposed open slabs and dangerous on a wet day,( the reason they closed it)
I've heard about that route, I'm always with my dog, so I think we will skip that one.

Yes! This is a leading contender for my favorite trail.

Looking back down the final pitch:
seve-ascending-the-upper-crux_7394684844_o.jpg

But, yes @sierra, the old West Side Trail—the Underhill route—is not dog friendly.

That's impressive. Class 4 ??
Maybe. I'm not a climber, but it's at least Class 3. There weren't any foot holds big enough for hiking boots, so it was a layback walk up the pitch. But, it was only 20' or so, with not too much exposure, 30'-50'.

The "Slab of Death"—where at least one death has occurred from a fall—is near the bottom, the original trail is still used as the beginning of the current trail. IIRC, though the trail now parallels the Slab of Death, so you can do either the slab or stay in the woods on the right.

The Slab of Death:
the-slab-of-death_7394655398_o.jpg

Higher up on the West Side Trail:
looking-up-the-abandoned-west-side-trail_7394667186_o.jpg
yes-its-steep_7394691094_o.jpg

Looking up from the base of the final pitch to just right of it:
img_0241_7394681946_o.jpg

Maybe. I'm not a climber, but it's at least Class 3. There weren't any foot holds big enough for hiking boots, so it was a layback walk up the pitch. But, it was only 20' or so, with not too much exposure, 30'-50'.

The "Slab of Death"—where at least one death has occurred from a fall—is near the bottom, the original trail is still used as the beginning of the current trail. IIRC, though the trail now parallels the Slab of Death, so you can do either the slab or stay in the woods on the right.

The Slab of Death:
View attachment 7095

Higher up on the West Side Trail:
View attachment 7098
View attachment 7100

Looking up from the base of the final pitch to just right of it:
View attachment 7099
It looks like that crack is vertical and sketchy. The SOD is in fact right next to the current trail, it had a stream running down it when I walked by it. Thanks for sharing these pictures, very cool stuff. I love knowing details about the places I hike.