The "rules" of good photography

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know almost nothing about photography, but I have one rule/observation concerning the subject: If you want to take spectacular photos...go to spectacular places. ;)

Framing is everything.
While I agree that framing is important...I have found that lighting is the key. Here is a pic in the Sawtooth Mts ( a spectacular place )taken a little after dawn. Take this picture at noon, framed exactly the same and you get a completely different result, one that is pretty bland IMO)

Attachments

• IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 1
While I agree that framing is important...I have found that lighting is the key. Here is a pic in the Sawtooth Mts ( a spectacular place )taken a little after dawn. Take this picture at noon, framed exactly the same and you get a completely different result, one that is pretty bland IMO)
Although cropping can work too with other minor tweaks. But don’t over do it.84CE30F2-6DEB-4D4D-A8DE-1708BDAEDA56.jpeg

I agree that lighting and the angle you use that lighting to frame pictures with is probably the number one factor in good photos. Golden hour and blue hour makes for some awesome photos.