"Three Musketeers" of southern Utah and more - I

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
On our road trip last summer we swung south from Montana and the Wyoming national parks to the hot, desolate and rugged raw scenery of southern Utah and Northern Arizona. In local travel promotion the three parks clustered in that area are known as the three musketeers. In addition to these three parks, three other noteworthy areas are described below.

A note about travel and hiking in this area. The lower elevations are desert like conditions which routinely have summer daytime temperatures well in excess of 100º F. Treeline is reversed from our temperate climate, trees start to grow at higher elevations where temperatures and moisture are more conducive. From mid-July to mid-September thunderstorms are very common and dry river beds can flash flood without warning because of a storm upstream. Some trails through narrows are even closed during this period. It is all a very striking and beautiful country that makes me wonder that anything can survive. Primitive peoples were nomadic; Mormon pioneers mastered irrigation. Somehow this desolate land, still some of the most remote and undeveloped in the lower 48, sustains those with the fortitude and industry to work it.

Cedar Breaks National Monument

I planned our ride through Cedar Breaks as a scenic shortcut to the east entrance to Zion. I underestimated the magnificence of the place. The predominant tree here is juniper, related to but not cedar as we know it, and it is so dense that its fragrance permeates the air similar to the balsam fir of the North Maine Woods … but instead a strong whiff of gin! A 1600 year old living Bristlecone Pine tree is but a mile from a trailhead. There are only two alpine trails in the monument and the scenic drive through is closed during the winter but is a popular cross country ski route.

View attachment 3140

Zion Canyon National Park

The east entrance was our entrance of choice for this approach offers spectacular views of the canyon before you. We arrived in time for a short hike to Canyon Overlook. The road within the canyon is closed to vehicles except for guests of the Lodge who can drive as far as the Lodge. The shuttle bus service is frequent and reliable, making interesting end to end hikes feasible. We were greeted at the Lodge by a mule deer and fawn who shared a toast and went on their way.

The signature hike in the Park is Angels Landing. It is only five miles round trip but not a trivial event. The first two miles gain 1000’ elevation including a ¼ mile stretch, Walter’s Wiggle, with 23 switchbacks. By starting early in the morning the trail is shaded by the sandstone canyon wall. Much of this stretch is paved, thankfully, because otherwise the trail would be as loose as a sandy beach. The last ½ mile is the interesting stretch where many hikers turn back. This is a knife edge rising 500’ to the top of the landing. I’d describe it as a cross between Katahdin’s Knife Edge and the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. It does, however, have chains for security in a few spots. The temperature on top was 110º. I’d describe the view as 720º, 360º horizontally and 360º … well, let me put it this way … if you bend over far enough and look down you can see your hind side!

View attachment 3141

The Virgin River runs through Zion Canyon and therein lies another classic hike, The Narrows. This is a 2,000’ canyon wall, as narrow as 18’ in places in which you hike along the river, in the river (ankle to thigh deep), on sandbars and anywhere you can. The hike can be 4-10 miles depending on how far you want to go. There are also overnight hike options. Flash flood dangers are high from mid-July to mid-September and it is sometimes closed during that period.

50 miles from Las Vegas

It was 119º when I left Las Vegas, 50 miles and 4500’ later it was 40º cooler. To the west and northwest of Las Vegas is a series of public lands; Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, Charleston Wilderness, La Madre Wilderness, Rainbow Mountain Wilderness and Desert National Wildlife Refuge. No shortage of motivation to get outta town. Charleston Peak would seem the ultimate destination but there are numerous hikes of various lengths and difficulties and various rewards from canyons, to vistas, to falls. Lot’s of camping opportunities here, too. I was merely scouting it out before heading back to the city that never sleeps.

Grand Canyon National Park North Rim

The South Rim is the more “popular” destination in Grand Canyon, reason enough to go north in my opinion. We chose it because the South Rim would have added a few hundred miles to our journey north from Las Vegas. Another major factor in the heat of summer included the fact that, at 1000’ higher elevation, it is cooler and the vegetation is more lush here. There are more hiking options at the South Rim but if you’re only visiting for a few days, there is plenty to keep you busy. As in any of the national parks, if you wish to stay at the facilities within the park, especially historic old lodges, book early.

We arrived late in the evening after passing through forests of Ponderosa Pine, the bark and pitch of which emits a fragrance tinged with vanilla. At dawn I hiked the ¼ mile out to Bright Angel Point where, to the east, was a spectacular sunrise, to the west, ugly dark clouds with laser like chains of lightning and, straight down 5,000’, the Canyon.

View attachment 3142

View attachment 3143

Later, we drove the scenic road to Cape Royal. Along the way are several nature walks and short hikes, the sum of which is a lot of hiking. At the Cape is a trail to a “Wedding Site” above a 5,000’ drop, for a change of heart I suppose!

We hiked Uncle Jim Loop Trail. Three different resources gave three different mileages (around 4-5) but all were unanimous in describing it as a “moderately easy trail” with terrific views down into the canyon and most notably, a view of the upper portion of the Kaibab Trail and Bright Angel Canyon, the route for a rim to rim Grand Canyon hike, a 28 mile backpack of typically two to four days. This is the signature hike for this Park and it is so popular that obtaining permits and spots at the camps along the way can be difficult in the best hiking seasons, even months and years in advance.

(continued in part II)

... Primitive peoples were nomadic; Mormon pioneers mastered irrigation...

Nice report on a fascinating area; not to get too picky, BUT the native inhabitants of the southwest were decidedly not nomadic, and mastered irrigation long before folks of European descent ever saw the land. I've read some reports where the population of what is now AZ and NM may have been greater in 1200 AD than in 1800!

amf

Thanks for sharing. I particularly appreciated your section on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, since I spent three wonderful days admiring that from the South Rim, and trails running north from there, just last week. Visitors to the South Rim reportedly outnumber those to the North by about 10-to-1, so your point about choosing the North R. for that reason is well taken. By early November, however, especially during the week, that is much less of a factor, and by then there is already a risk of the road to the North Rim getting snowed in, we were told. I did meet a couple of guys who were staying at Indian Garden campsite, 4.5 miles north of the South Rim on the Bright Angel Trail, and were on their third or fourth day of a cross-Canyon back-packing trip that started at the North Rim. They raved about it.

You inspire me to post a few pix from my hikes last week, in separate post.

Nice report on a fascinating area; not to get too picky, BUT the native inhabitants of the southwest were decidedly not nomadic, and mastered irrigation long before folks of European descent ever saw the land. I've read some reports where the population of what is now AZ and NM may have been greater in 1200 AD than in 1800!

amf

Yes -- in particular the Hohokam people, who between the 7th and 14th centuries built some pretty sophisticated canals/irrigation systems in Arizona.

Remnants of some of these canals became the irrigation and canal system used by Jack Swilling when he founded Phoenix in 1867.

(End thread drift.)

amf
Good point and true. I was referring to the Utah canyons area residents who did establish some long term residence but eventually and mysteriously migrated. At Anasazi State Park (Between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef) there is an excavation of one such village along with a replica pueblo and a small museum with artifacts nearly 1000 years old. http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/AnasaziBrochure.pdf

Our journey, which included the Lewis & Clark Trail as far as Idaho, gave me a stronger appreciation for the many different tribes that had existed on the continent since prehistoric times, the variety in cultures and personalities of these tribes, the fact that they traded among themselves and, prior to the arrival of L&C, had traded with French, English, Spanish and early trappers, that some engaged in viscious wars, and a few tribes were universally hated and feared by other tribes.

They relied on hunting, gathering and some agriculture for sustenance but were very much at the mercy of the elements and frequently moved on in pursuit of their principle source of nourishment ... meat (and fish in the Northwest). It strikes me as resembling the garden of eden and hell at the same time. Notwithstanding any changes in climate, the Southwest seemed most hostile to human habitation and the character it took to endure is humbling.

amf

Stan - AMF is on to something here. For example - the Anasazi were anything but hunter/gathers. Rather, they had a highly evolved society with specialization of labor. They used sophisticated water gathering/distribution systems for agriculture, built hundreds of miles of complex roads, knew enough about the celestial system to put a window in a room in one of the housing complexes in Chaco Canyon so that sun only shone thru the window on March 21st. Chaco Canyon itself appears to been a planned community, with special alignments for solstices. If you climb above Chaco to one of the many settlements, you can still see a road that extends in a straight line for 40 miles, deviating from True North by only 1 degree ... the list of their many accomplishments goes on and on.

Anyway, sounds like you had a great trip. Lots of things to see and experience, and the dry climate of the Southwest helps to preserve evidence of peoples who lived here for thousands of years before Europeans arrived.

Stan - AMF is on to something here. For example - the Anasazi were anything but hunter/gathers. Rather, they had a highly evolved society with specialization of labor. They used sophisticated water gathering/distribution systems for agriculture,
At Mesa Verde, there is evidence of several generations* of farming based society. 1. Pit homes on the mesa, 2. Stone buildings on the mesa, and 3. Stone buildings in the cliffs. http://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm

* generations in the sense of technology, not in the sense of human generations.

At Bandelier NM, there are cliff dwellings above a small fertile canyon (Frijoles Canyon) where they farmed. http://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

BTW, calling the inhabitants Anasazi is no longer PC (the word means enemy in Navaho). The current PC word is Ancestral Puebloan... One of the theories is that after the Anasazi (oops! Ancestral Puebloans) disappeared ~1000 years ago, they eventually morphed into the current Purbloans (Hopi, Navaho, etc). And a theory for why the Anasazi disappeared was that massive droughts made farming untenable.

There are Anasazi ruins in many places in the desert SW.

Doug