Tripods, Monopods And Other Camera Supports

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a GitzoGT0540 and a relatively inexpensive ball head with pan by Induro DM01
I removed the center post on the tripod to reduce weight and the Tripod and ball head is 2.5 pounds.
The tripod has 2 stages for the legs so you can get a minimum height of 10" which is great for macro photography.
It has been pretty durable so far.
I have carried them on over forty hikes and I don't mind the weight.
The ball head some times loosens up on me but I tighten it down and it holds my Canon XT with Canon 24-105 lens solidly.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569063-REG/Gitzo_GT0540_GT_0540_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.html (similar tripod the GT 0540 is discontinued)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486897-REG/Induro_480_001_DM_01_Ballhead_with_Quick.html

I had a crazy idea after reading this post the other day and it actually kinda worked!

I took an old tabletop mini-tripod that I had laying around and removed the swivel camera bolt and ball assembly off the top. Took one of my trek poles and removed the screw from the top of the handle and bolted the tripod top to it.

It's not the most fancy device, but now I have an easily accessible monopod that is always right at my fingertips. Works well in the deep snow - not so sure how it will fare in the summer.

I've got a small (9 inch total length) tripod that works well with my point and shoot. The legs are flexible, so you just grab the bottom and pull/bend it to the approximate position you want and set the camera up. It's really basic, but it's light and easy to carry and use.

Grumpy, best wishes for your health :)

I often carry an inexpensive SLIK. It was the lightest full-height tripod I could find, around $40.00. I keep a plastic grocery bag which I hang from the center hook and fill with a rock for weight.

I'll be looking for a smaller one to do better work of flowers and such closer to the ground this year.

I also plan to try using a monopod hiking pole. I detest hiking with a pole in my hand but maybe I can get used to it. I have a nice set of EMS poles in the closet that I'd love to trade for a monopod. With wildlife situations, a monpod would provide a little steadiness. I've shot moose off a tripod before but it is hard in many situations and I think a tripod would work better. I'm theorizing a set up that would allow quick attachment of the body onto the monopod. I'll report back when I figure it out.

happy trails :)

I also plan to try using a monopod hiking pole. I detest hiking with a pole in my hand but maybe I can get used to it. I have a nice set of EMS poles in the closet that I'd love to trade for a monopod. With wildlife situations, a monpod would provide a little steadiness.
If you are willing to suffer carrying 2 poles, you can quickly make a pseudo-tripod:
* Hold the handles of the poles together (with the tips spread on the ground), sort of like 2 legs of a tripod, your body forms the 3rd leg.
* Hold the camera on top of the pole handles.

Not as good as a real tripod, but better than a monopod. Quick to set up and no extra gear if you are already carrying the poles.

Also, one of those little 6-inch high tripods with a velcro strap (http://www.rei.com/search?query=ultrapod&button.x=0&button.y=0) can be strapped onto the top of a pole.

Doug

Last edited:
Ye Olde Axepod

This is yet another substitute for a tripod. It's basically a bent piece of 1" aluminum strap with a small ball head (this one has a arca-type clamp on a small Velbon ball head), velcroed to an ice axe. While obviously limited height-wise, in the right kind of snow conditions you can get a pretty sturdy platform to shoot from for long exposures:
AxePod2.jpg

I used it for this last minute shot of Mount Madison a few years ago. I can't remember the exposure time ( this was in the film days), but it was long:
MountMadisonFromAdamsAtDusk.jpg