Tripyramids from Livermore - Waterville Valley, 4/26/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
April 26, 2010: Tripyramids (north & middle)

Trails: Livermore Trail, Scaur Ridge Trail, Pine Bend Brook Trail, Mt. Tripyramid Trail

Summits: North Tripyramid, Middle Tripyramid

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

I really enjoy when the weather experts are wrong in the right direction. The forecast for the day included a high probability of precipitation from midday on including a steady wind from the northwest. It never happened plus we were treated to nice sunshine for most of the hike.

With the forecast, we decided on a relatively short hike for the day. The Tripyramids from Waterville Valley fit the bill perfectly. We planned a late start and knew we would be able to finish the hike well before sunset.

A little earlier than planned we arrived at the Livermore trailhead and an empty lot. We had another quiet day coming up. As we gathered our things another vehicle pulled in and it was a fellow with a mountain bike. He was mounted up and on his way before we could finish our final prep but we set off right on our schedule. One of the decisions I was having a tough time with concerned my snowshoes. I was thinking about leaving the extra weight behind. In the end they were strapped to my pack for the hike.

The first part of a Waterville Valley approach to the Tripyramids involves a road walk on Livermore Road. This section was clear and dry to the point where it makes a right across the bridge and heads south. There, the Livermore Trail follows a section of Livermore Road that receives very little maintenance. The first half mile is currently loaded with blowdowns from each side. It’s been a tough winter.

Eventually, we hiked out of the blowdown zone on Livermore Trail and arrived to the south junction with the Mount Tripyramid Trail. Then, a mile later we reached the north junction. Continuing on we finally made the Livermore – Scaur Ridge trails junction. Along the way there were great numbers of spring flowers to be. It looked like many of them would be opened within a week or two. It should be a colorful area very soon.

We made the turn onto Scaur Ridge Trail and started the real climb. The trail is completely clear and generally dry at the start. Eventually, at approximately 2900 feet we started to encounter snow on the trail. A couple hundred more feet in elevation and we were dealing with full deep cover, the snow was soft, the monorail was tough to hike on, and it was time for snowshoes. We pulled out the snowshoes and continued on to the Scaur Ridge – Pine Bend Brook trails junction. The trail section leading to the ridge was an easy climb as we approached the ridge. Once the pitch flattened out on the ridge the blowdowns started to appear – everywhere. To this point there were only a couple blowdowns on the lower trail and the climb was generally clear. Suddenly around the trails junction we had a huge mess to get through.

We continued a short distance past the trails junction with the snowshoes but the trail cleared and we returned to bare booting the hike. After a couple hundred yards the trail was once again fully covered in deep soft snow and we were back on snowshoes. The trail is in really good shape for this late in the season. There are some postholes but not nearly as many as I expected. We made our way to the steep approach to North Tripyramid and were treated to another surprise.

The steep climb is one huge snow ramp. All of the ledge that makes the climb to North Tripyramid hard work is currently buried in snow, several feet of snow and nearly no ice. The place is ideal snowshoe territory right now. There is a terrific snowshoe track all of the way up. We raised the Televators and simply walked to the summit. That was easy!

We hit the summit, stopped for a quick snack, a few pictures, and we were soon on our way to Middle Tripyramid. Still on snowshoes we made our way to Middle Tripyramid. The trail is solid snow with only a couple exposed rocks along the way while descending from North Tripyramid. After we passed the Sabbaday Brook – Mt. Tripyramid trails junction the trail was solid snow to the viewpoint near the summit. Again, when we hit the steep climb the televators came up and we simply walked up. The summit area was mostly clear and the snowshoes came off for a short time while we moved around the area. After the usual summit pictures and a few more at the viewpoint we started our snowshoe trip back out the way we hiked in.

The reverse hike was completely uneventful. We completed the re-climb of North Tripyramid, hiked down to the Scaur Ridge – Pine Bend Brook trails junction with little trouble – the traction was great, and finally worked our way through the blowdowns in the area of the trails junction to our exit. Before leaving the snow cover we needed to make one more important stop. Sue made another snowman, snapped a picture with her phone, and sent it off to some of the important people in her life (they enjoy hearing from her).

Back to ~3000 feet and the snowshoes went back on our packs. We were once again hiking clear trail and headed for Livermore Trail. At Livermore we made another quick stop. I pulled out another quart of Gatorade and packed my poles away for the remainder if the hike to the trailhead. There were a few drops of rain along the final section but not nearly enough to even make the ground wet. We enjoyed a generally dry, calm, and mostly sunny hike. We reached the trailhead pretty much as planned and wasted no time to pack and leave. One other vehicle was in the trailhead lot. Soon we were out of Waterville Valley and on the highway south.

Thanks Sue for another fun hike to the Tripyramids. I’ve lost count on the number of times we’ve been to these peaks together but next time we’ll hike a different route.

Pictures will follow.

:D